Bullnose Forums

Is There A Way To Seal A Steering Wheel?

One wipe goes a long way. You may want to try 2 or 3 coats. Make sure you seal the wipe in between as it will dry out.
Thanks again! We hope to go look at the foliage next Tuesday so if it gets in before that I'll be sure to give it a try.

I've done some searching on how to solve this problem and nothing I've found is a good match for these steering wheels. But this one comes closest, although I already know that Armor-All won't seal it. Already have that tee shirt. But perhaps the degreaser would help.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again! We hope to go look at the foliage next Tuesday so if it gets in before that I'll be sure to give it a try.

I've done some searching on how to solve this problem and nothing I've found is a good match for these steering wheels. But this one comes closest, although I already know that Armor-All won't seal it. Already have that tee shirt. But perhaps the degreaser would help.

I bet degreaser then 2 coats of cerekote will be a good combo.

I'm running a later model padded steering wheel on Big Blue, and it is slightly sticky. I've cleaned it thoroughly several times, including using a 3M pad on it, and have then used the likes of Armor-All on it. But it still gets sticky a few weeks later. And this is both the rim as well as the horn pad.

So, is there anything that can be used to seal things like that? Anyone have a suggestion?

My original plastic steering wheel was sticky and got super sticky every time humidity went up. I tried everything and nothing worked. One day I decided to try rubbing alcohol and sure enough it removed the stickiness and it took a long time for it to come back I think its embedded in the plastic and I cleaned it again. After each cleaning the stickiness takes longer and longer to come back.

I highly recommend a rag and some rubbing alcohol and wipe the wheel down good with it.

I'm running a later model padded steering wheel on Big Blue, and it is slightly sticky. I've cleaned it thoroughly several times, including using a 3M pad on it, and have then used the likes of Armor-All on it. But it still gets sticky a few weeks later. And this is both the rim as well as the horn pad.

So, is there anything that can be used to seal things like that? Anyone have a suggestion?

My original plastic steering wheel was sticky and got super sticky every time humidity went up. I tried everything and nothing worked. One day I decided to try rubbing alcohol and sure enough it removed the stickiness and it took a long time for it to come back I think its embedded in the plastic and I cleaned it again. After each cleaning the stickiness takes longer and longer to come back.

I highly recommend a rag and some rubbing alcohol and wipe the wheel down good with it.

Yep.

Isopropyl seems to get rid of it for a while. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yep.

Isopropyl seems to get rid of it for a while. :nabble_smiley_good:

Isopropyl alcohol has been what I've used heretofore, and will probably be what I use for the Cerekote try. It has taken the sticky away for a while, but after driving it for a while or if it sits in the heat the sticky stuff comes back.

So I agree with Jim that it is the plasticizers coming out. But if the Cerekote seals them in, at least for 6 months or so, that would be a big win.

Isopropyl alcohol has been what I've used heretofore, and will probably be what I use for the Cerekote try. It has taken the sticky away for a while, but after driving it for a while or if it sits in the heat the sticky stuff comes back.

So I agree with Jim that it is the plasticizers coming out. But if the Cerekote seals them in, at least for 6 months or so, that would be a big win.

mine on bubba is from an 87 and it has always done that since i got it. i just keep cleaning it. but im about to put an original in place

My bullnose came with a steering wheel cover that I really enjoy, but I assume the wheel would be sticky if I were to remove it. I have a GM g-body that does the same thing, seems like everyone in the g-body world has this same issue, also with no permanent remedies. I just finished the engine and transmission build on my Monte Carlo so next spring/summer (as it's about winter here in MN) I'm going to be buttoning everything up so she's ready for the road. The first job will be an attempt at permanently fixing the sticky steering wheel.

So here's what I was thinking. I'm going to clean the sh** outta the thing to remove all the felt sticky and then spray it down with an interior clear coat paint, probably a matte or satin finish. I haven't seen anyone online try this. I assume the clear will eventually wear off due to it being a high contact area, but other than that I don't see why this wouldn't work. My only other reservation on this method would be the feel of the clear, I suppose there's only one way to find out, my biggest concern is the wheel becoming too slippery.

There has to be a way to seal these things so they stop seeping. I'm excited to find out if those wipes you're getting produce a long lasting effect. Keep us posted.

My bullnose came with a steering wheel cover that I really enjoy, but I assume the wheel would be sticky if I were to remove it. I have a GM g-body that does the same thing, seems like everyone in the g-body world has this same issue, also with no permanent remedies. I just finished the engine and transmission build on my Monte Carlo so next spring/summer (as it's about winter here in MN) I'm going to be buttoning everything up so she's ready for the road. The first job will be an attempt at permanently fixing the sticky steering wheel.

So here's what I was thinking. I'm going to clean the sh** outta the thing to remove all the felt sticky and then spray it down with an interior clear coat paint, probably a matte or satin finish. I haven't seen anyone online try this. I assume the clear will eventually wear off due to it being a high contact area, but other than that I don't see why this wouldn't work. My only other reservation on this method would be the feel of the clear, I suppose there's only one way to find out, my biggest concern is the wheel becoming too slippery.

There has to be a way to seal these things so they stop seeping. I'm excited to find out if those wipes you're getting produce a long lasting effect. Keep us posted.

There's no way to 'seal' vinyl that is breaking down and off gassing.

This situation is very similar to what happened to Deren's 2k clear coat over enamel.

Heat and UV degrade the plastic. The plastic is made soft(er) by using plasticizers.

As the polymers break the plasticizers are released from the chain.

There's no way to 'seal' vinyl that is breaking down and off gassing.

This situation is very similar to what happened to Deren's 2k clear coat over enamel.

Heat and UV degrade the plastic. The plastic is made soft(er) by using plasticizers.

As the polymers break the plasticizers are released from the chain.

Maybe bake it out in an oven?