Bullnose Forums

2G Alternator not charging on my 1986 F150 5.0

Accidentally dropped my OEM alternator and smashed the regulator. Went to Oreilly's and purchased a remanufactured one (60 A) which included one of the pigtails . I ensured the connections were done correctly and checked the path of the wires all the way to the starter relay; no damaged or frayed wires.

I have a brand new battery and it will invariably die after a couple of hours of use. Any help would be appreciated, switching to a 3G is beyond my electrical comfort level..... TIA.

Do you know the alternator isn't charging? In other words, are you charging the battery at home and then the truck dies after driving?

Do you have a volt meter?

Can you show us a pic of the back of the alternator showing how it is wired?

Yes, I don’t believe it’s charging. The trucks battery dies even after fully charged will die after a couple of days and/or a few cranks. If we jump it, it will run but dies after we disconnect the battery. I have swapped batteries with my brothers truck which is an identical 86 and the same thing happens. Pic of alternator coming up….

Do you know the alternator isn't charging? In other words, are you charging the battery at home and then the truck dies after driving?

A15B2028-0BEB-4317-A953-CA157D631548.jpeg.3beee013393cd385b8aae1ffe8111263.jpeg

The two black wires were connected to the black and orange from the harness. The other connector is a yellow/white and green/red from the harness.

788447E9-50A9-4D62-9E3B-CBE11C016340.jpeg.e8a47c6cc158af34cf41ab7bcff4d1af.jpeg

Forgot to mention that the small white/black wire goes to what I believe it’s the choke connector which is not connected to anything….

"New" (rebuilt) doesn't necessarily mean good!

Was the alternator tested in the store when you bought it?

Gary has sworn off O'Reilly's alternators after the church car came back... twice.

Do you have a multimeter?

Do you have power at the lt gr/red wire with the key in run?

"New" (rebuilt) doesn't necessarily mean good!

Was the alternator tested in the store when you bought it?

Gary has sworn off O'Reilly's alternators after the church car came back... twice.

Do you have a multimeter?

Do you have power at the lt gr/red wire with the key in run?

Yes, I'm not going to buy another alternator from O'Reilly's!!!! Two out of four were bad, and one was bad out of the box.

Yes, I'm not going to buy another alternator from O'Reilly's!!!! Two out of four were bad, and one was bad out of the box.

No, it wasn’t tested. Yes, there is power to the green/red with the key on. And power to the black/orange without. I’m on my way to the store to have it bench tested (assuming the kid will know how) and/or get my money back.

No, it wasn’t tested. Yes, there is power to the green/red with the key on. And power to the black/orange without. I’m on my way to the store to have it bench tested (assuming the kid will know how) and/or get my money back.

The testing machine in our O'Reilly's has been down for months.

The twin bk/or wires are connected to battery + through a fusible link.

So you have proven the fuse link is still good. :nabble_smiley_good:

With a meter in hand I think I would have tried to force the alternator to charge @ full field (ground here to test)

I've got nothing to say about O'Reilly's, (because there isn't one local to me) but my 2G was nothing but trouble and I'm glad I finally got rid of it.