Bullnose Forums

New to me F350

LGKentwood

Hello all. Dropping in to say hi and thanks for the great information this site provides.

I'm the new owner of a 1981 F350 single cab, flatbed. Bought it cheap to fix up over the rest of my lifetime. I hope to drive her some day, but it will not be soon. She has a locked up 400 and has not ran in years. I pulled the plugs to find what looks like coolant in the 2 cylinders nearest the firewall. With plugs removed I still couldn't move the crank. She also has rusted cab corners, a little on the floor pan and around the windshield. I'm no welder or mechanic, but I do have a mig welder, tools and time so I'll give it shot.

I have never tackled a project like this but I'm very excited about the challenge.

cropped_truck.jpeg.99f5e1579953eedc08b9c4dec340c2e0.jpeg

Welcome! Glad you joined! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Interesting truck. I'll bet it could tell some stories.

On the engine, you'll find that there's little love for the 400. However, I really like them as they can really give a lot of torque and they don't weigh as much as a 460. On the other hand, there's not a lot of support for them. But the go-to guy for them is Tim Meyer.

Where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city/state or zip.

Welcome l :nabble_waving_orig:

Your truck certainly has character.

Do you have any idea how long its been sitting?

it will probably be easier to get it freed up with the engine mounted in the truck but if it has been too long with water in it that may be a lost cause.

I wish I knew the history but I don't. Got it from a govt auction.

I have no way to know how long the engine sat full of water but I'm going to guess it to be several years. Which is ok,

Honestly, it was an impulse buy. I was looking to buy a mower (which I didn't) and ended up with this. I've been looking for a project truck and I love the look of it. We have a 100 year old farm house near the front of our property and my wife wants to park it there to show it off. Yard art lol

Gary, I live near Hammond, Louisiana. Feel free to add me to the map .

I wish I knew the history but I don't. Got it from a govt auction.

I have no way to know how long the engine sat full of water but I'm going to guess it to be several years. Which is ok,

Honestly, it was an impulse buy. I was looking to buy a mower (which I didn't) and ended up with this. I've been looking for a project truck and I love the look of it. We have a 100 year old farm house near the front of our property and my wife wants to park it there to show it off. Yard art lol

Gary, I live near Hammond, Louisiana. Feel free to add me to the map .

You are now on the map.

And while I can see that truck as yard art, it begs to be useful. Get it running! :nabble_smiley_wink: