Bullnose Forums

HEI distributor setup help needed for '85 F150| 300 straight 6

DarkSaga

Good point, Jim. Thanks!

I'm the first to say that I don't know. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

And I DO know that I shouldn't believe everything that I read on the internet.

When someone on an enthusiast forum posts solid numbers and no one corrects them with references I will accept it.

Especially when it fits with the instructions I've read on other similar units.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm the first to say that I don't know. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

And I DO know that I shouldn't believe everything that I read on the internet.

When someone on an enthusiast forum posts solid numbers and no one corrects them with references I will accept it.

Especially when it fits with the instructions I've read on other similar units.

We've stressed that the HEI module likes a lot of current to charge the coil and that it needs at least #12 wiring from the battery. That wire is good for 30 amps, so why not fuse it at that?

We've stressed that the HEI module likes a lot of current to charge the coil and that it needs at least #12 wiring from the battery. That wire is good for 30 amps, so why not fuse it at that?

Thanks Gary and Jim for all the excellent comments and advice!

I'll go with a 30A fuse to protect the HEI distributor and will check that the spark plugs are gapped to 0.05".

I hope to be able to work on the truck this week as the weather is expected to be nice and warm in my area (unfortunately I have to work outdoors on my vehicles!)

Thanks Gary and Jim for all the excellent comments and advice!

I'll go with a 30A fuse to protect the HEI distributor and will check that the spark plugs are gapped to 0.05".

I hope to be able to work on the truck this week as the weather is expected to be nice and warm in my area (unfortunately I have to work outdoors on my vehicles!)

I think you have a good plan, and hope things go well for you. :nabble_smiley_good:

I think you have a good plan, and hope things go well for you. :nabble_smiley_good:

Hi guys, I could use your expertise again.

I've installed the HEI distributor and I'm doing the wiring. I'm setting it up just like 'tanman' did in this photo --> https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n104208/a_better_schematic.png

I need to connect the WHITE wire (PIN86) from the RELAY to the truck. It is my understanding that it should go to the coil. I am attaching a photo with an arrow pointing to the wire I think is the correct (It might be WHITE w/ LT BLUE) Coil_wire.jpg.b16b7a7de93600b85e509e4c2700bca7.jpg

...Is this the correct wire? (It has blue dashes on it, but the main color of the wire is questionable. It might have been white at one time). Do I tap into that wire and connect it to the WHITE wire of the relay (PIN86)?

Any help would be awesome. THANK YOU!

(I have other photos if needed)

Hi guys, I could use your expertise again.

I've installed the HEI distributor and I'm doing the wiring. I'm setting it up just like 'tanman' did in this photo --> https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n104208/a_better_schematic.png

I need to connect the WHITE wire (PIN86) from the RELAY to the truck. It is my understanding that it should go to the coil. I am attaching a photo with an arrow pointing to the wire I think is the correct (It might be WHITE w/ LT BLUE)

...Is this the correct wire? (It has blue dashes on it, but the main color of the wire is questionable. It might have been white at one time). Do I tap into that wire and connect it to the WHITE wire of the relay (PIN86)?

Any help would be awesome. THANK YOU!

(I have other photos if needed)

White/Lt Bl should be coil power for a 4.9 EEC-IV system as shown in the EVTM.

688612_orig.thumb.jpg.5d6e536371b92870f86ac424edc807f0.jpg

Convention for a 'Bosch' style cube relay is: 85 = trigger, 86 = ground, but it really doesn't matter which way power flows through the pull-in coil as long as the relay isn't diode protected.

Using the coil power wire assures that the relay is pulled in in both start and run.

White/Lt Bl should be coil power for a 4.9 EEC-IV system as shown in the EVTM.

Convention for a 'Bosch' style cube relay is: 85 = trigger, 86 = ground, but it really doesn't matter which way power flows through the pull-in coil as long as the relay isn't diode protected.

Using the coil power wire assures that the relay is pulled in in both start and run.

Yep, Jim/Ardwrkntrk is right. You are on the right track.

Yep, Jim/Ardwrkntrk is right. You are on the right track.

Thank you Jim and Gary for the responses!

I will tap into that wire and attach it to the relay (White wire PIN86). I'm not very good with schematics and wiring diagrams.

I have the plugs all gapped now to 0.05, the 30A fuse is in place (between the relay and the battery +12V), the timing mark on the engine is at 0 (TDC) mark, the HEI rotor is pointed toward where the #1 spark plug is (may need some tweaking) and is pointing in the same direction as it was on the old distributor, the base of the HEI distributor is lightly snugged down so it can be twisted to adjust timing (before fully tightening down), I have the plugs wired to the firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4, the relay is mounted and PIN85 (black wire) is grounded to a fresh metal spot on the driver side fender, the battery is being topped off with a trickle charger, the gas in the tank is relatively fresh and has STA-BIL in it (though I will add more fresh gas to it if it starts).

Lastly I have to finalize the positive connection between the HEI and PIN 87 (Blue wire) of the Relay.

Also need to hook up the vacuum line (but probably with attempt a start without it) and later adjust the vacuum advance.

The truck mechanic that worked on it did some modifications (added an electronic fuel pump along the frame rail behind the driver), and did some wiring at the carb so I'll need to check those things over.

I may just put the non-original newer KIPA carb on and see if it starts and runs with that in place.

Anyway fingers crossed that it starts and runs (though I'm never lucky enough to have things work the 1st attempt).

Thanks again for your help!

Thank you Jim and Gary for the responses!

I will tap into that wire and attach it to the relay (White wire PIN86). I'm not very good with schematics and wiring diagrams.

I have the plugs all gapped now to 0.05, the 30A fuse is in place (between the relay and the battery +12V), the timing mark on the engine is at 0 (TDC) mark, the HEI rotor is pointed toward where the #1 spark plug is (may need some tweaking) and is pointing in the same direction as it was on the old distributor, the base of the HEI distributor is lightly snugged down so it can be twisted to adjust timing (before fully tightening down), I have the plugs wired to the firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4, the relay is mounted and PIN85 (black wire) is grounded to a fresh metal spot on the driver side fender, the battery is being topped off with a trickle charger, the gas in the tank is relatively fresh and has STA-BIL in it (though I will add more fresh gas to it if it starts).

Lastly I have to finalize the positive connection between the HEI and PIN 87 (Blue wire) of the Relay.

Also need to hook up the vacuum line (but probably with attempt a start without it) and later adjust the vacuum advance.

The truck mechanic that worked on it did some modifications (added an electronic fuel pump along the frame rail behind the driver), and did some wiring at the carb so I'll need to check those things over.

I may just put the non-original newer KIPA carb on and see if it starts and runs with that in place.

Anyway fingers crossed that it starts and runs (though I'm never lucky enough to have things work the 1st attempt).

Thanks again for your help!

Well I wired up the new HEI system, turned the key to give it a try at starting and no luck yet. :nabble_smiley_unhappy: I'm waiting for a family member to return so they can turn the key while I check things. I'll listen to hear if the relay clicks when the key is turned. Also I have an inline spark tester that I will use to see if the plugs are sparking so that I know the HEI distributor is working.

The mechanic that worked on the truck last year added an inline electric fuel pump. When the key is in the ON position I hear it humming constantly... so I'm thinking it's working properly. The truck also has a mechanical pump installed, so hopefully this redundancy won't cause any issues and the carb will get the proper fuel pressure (not checked yet).

I'll check back later and let you know if I'm getting spark.

If you guys have any suggestions as to what to try to test (and tips as to how to test them) please feel free. I have to determine what is working and what is not and can use all the help I can get. THANKS!

Well I wired up the new HEI system, turned the key to give it a try at starting and no luck yet. :nabble_smiley_unhappy: I'm waiting for a family member to return so they can turn the key while I check things. I'll listen to hear if the relay clicks when the key is turned. Also I have an inline spark tester that I will use to see if the plugs are sparking so that I know the HEI distributor is working.

The mechanic that worked on the truck last year added an inline electric fuel pump. When the key is in the ON position I hear it humming constantly... so I'm thinking it's working properly. The truck also has a mechanical pump installed, so hopefully this redundancy won't cause any issues and the carb will get the proper fuel pressure (not checked yet).

I'll check back later and let you know if I'm getting spark.

If you guys have any suggestions as to what to try to test (and tips as to how to test them) please feel free. I have to determine what is working and what is not and can use all the help I can get. THANKS!

I don't think an electric fuel pump feeding a mechanical one is a good idea, personally.

But as long as your carb is getting fuel (and not too much) I would look for other causes first.

Definitely determine that the relay clicks and you have power at 87 when it does.

Then check for spark. (do you have a timing light to adjust your new HEI?)

A 300-6 will run with crap compression, so fuel then spark (at the right time)