Bullnose Forums

HEI distributor setup help needed for '85 F150| 300 straight 6

DarkSaga

My problem vehicle specs are below:

1985 Ford F-150 Lariat XLT |Straight 6 cylinder| 4.9L 300cid | Automatic | 4x4 | Standard cab | Long bed | 1 barrel Carter YFA carb

This is a plow truck that I need to get running (for my own 1/2 mile driveway - not commercial use). {Read my older posts if you need more info on the issues I've been having with the truck}

I can't find any old ford trucks in the junkyards in my area (to get what's needed for a DuraSpark II conversion), so I've opted to try to install a new HEI distributor.

I don't want to spend $400+ on a D.U.I. brand distributor so here's the one I was planning to buy --> "A-Team Performance - HEI Complete Distributor Straight 6 Cylinder 240 and 300 65K Coil -Compatible With Ford F100 F150 F250 E100 E150 One Wire Installation Blue Cap" Link --> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WM92CQ/?coliid=I1WABUXRYELZY9&colid=F2A4ICKEQLZE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

(It seems to have worked for others that have a truck similar to mine)

***Will the original CARTER YFA carburetor that is in the truck work with this HEI Distributor?

If not, will the HEI work with this other carb that I have? (purchased new a couple years ago --> "KIPA Carburetor for YFA type carter Carb 1 barrel with electric choke Fits Ford 4.9L 300 cu I6" Link --> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0811KP43M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just need the correct parts to get this truck to run. If you've done a conversion on a similar year F150 with the feedback carb, maybe you can chime in and help me as I'm desperate to get the truck running for winter.

Even better if you've done this conversion, post a shopping list of the parts I need and then I can buy them knowing it should work for me.

Any helpful comments from those of you familiar with doing this conversion would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!

-jim-

'DarkDaga'

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim - There are probably two things that the computer controls on your truck that you are trying to eliminate - the ignition and the carburetion. On the latter, others know a lot more about it than I do, but my limited understanding is that a computer-controlled YFA works ok w/o the computer. But the carb you bought doesn't appear to have any connections for a computer, so might be even better.

On the ignition, the HEI conversion should do the trick. To explain how to wire it I refer you to our page at Documentation/Electrical/Ignition and then the Ignition Simplification tab followed by the One Wire tab. There you'll find schematics for how to wire it as well as a discussion thereof.

Hope that helps. But I'm hoping others chime in, especially regarding the carb.

The link for your distributor is broken but by using the description it hit on A-Team's website. https://swperformanceparts.com/product/hei028bl-1/

I went back and read the thread where you posted compression numbers, said the stock YFA was spitting vapor, got the truck back from your mechanic (still not running reliably)

Fuel vapor coming out the carb sounds like the valve timing is off, but that is not common with the 300's gear driven cam.

Yes, that distributor (if the same as the one I found) should be full replacement for the problematic TFT feedback system.

You will need to find a source of vacuum for the distributor advance unit.

There should be plenty of capped fittings if the PO removed things like the EEC or EGR.

Given you have an automatic, It would be best if it was a "timed vacuum" source just above the throttle plate of your carburetor.

I don't know about the feedback YFA's, but if you bought the Chinese knockoff new you should have a manual showing which port is which.

Where in New York are you?

You might have a look at our members map to see if there is someone nearby?

Edit: I see you're in New Hampton.

We have a member Nick Longo in Maybrook

I used to have a girlfriend from Wallkill 40 years ago, and I would go launch rockets at a sod farm near you in the late '90's-early aughts (Goshen or Florida or something...)

I'm down in Philly now, unfortunately.

The link for your distributor is broken but by using the description it hit on A-Team's website. https://swperformanceparts.com/product/hei028bl-1/

I went back and read the thread where you posted compression numbers, said the stock YFA was spitting vapor, got the truck back from your mechanic (still not running reliably)

Fuel vapor coming out the carb sounds like the valve timing is off, but that is not common with the 300's gear driven cam.

Yes, that distributor (if the same as the one I found) should be full replacement for the problematic TFT feedback system.

You will need to find a source of vacuum for the distributor advance unit.

There should be plenty of capped fittings if the PO removed things like the EEC or EGR.

Given you have an automatic, It would be best if it was a "timed vacuum" source just above the throttle plate of your carburetor.

I don't know about the feedback YFA's, but if you bought the Chinese knockoff new you should have a manual showing which port is which.

Where in New York are you?

You might have a look at our members map to see if there is someone nearby?

Edit: I see you're in New Hampton.

We have a member Nick Longo in Maybrook

I used to have a girlfriend from Wallkill 40 years ago, and I would go launch rockets at a sod farm near you in the late '90's-early aughts (Goshen or Florida or something...)

I'm down in Philly now, unfortunately.

Thanks for the replies Gary and Jim!

Gary, I'll make sure to closely refer to the Ignition Simplification / One Wire tabs for this HEI conversion... it's very much appreciated that you have them available! Hopefully either the original Carter YFA carb or the Kipa carb will work well with the HEI distributor.

Jim, sorry I messed up the link to the HEI. I think this is correct now --> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WM92CQ/?coliid=I1WABUXRYELZY9&colid=F2A4ICKEQLZE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it I believe the one you located at the A-Team website is the same one.

I'll have to dig out the (knockoff) Kipa carb and find a vacuum port at the base to use for the "timed vacuum". I'm pretty certain though there was no documentation with it.

*I was in contact with Nick and we planned to meet but I haven't been able to get a hold of him recently. Maybe he's super busy or hasn't gotten my messages. I'll have to try him again.

I'm basically right next to Goshen, NY.

Very cool that you are familiar with the area!

Thanks again to you guys for your insight!

*The spark plug wires in the truck now are very new but are standard wires... do I need to upgrade the wires for this HEI distributor?

Thanks for the replies Gary and Jim!

Gary, I'll make sure to closely refer to the Ignition Simplification / One Wire tabs for this HEI conversion... it's very much appreciated that you have them available! Hopefully either the original Carter YFA carb or the Kipa carb will work well with the HEI distributor.

Jim, sorry I messed up the link to the HEI. I think this is correct now --> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WM92CQ/?coliid=I1WABUXRYELZY9&colid=F2A4ICKEQLZE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it I believe the one you located at the A-Team website is the same one.

I'll have to dig out the (knockoff) Kipa carb and find a vacuum port at the base to use for the "timed vacuum". I'm pretty certain though there was no documentation with it.

*I was in contact with Nick and we planned to meet but I haven't been able to get a hold of him recently. Maybe he's super busy or hasn't gotten my messages. I'll have to try him again.

I'm basically right next to Goshen, NY.

Very cool that you are familiar with the area!

Thanks again to you guys for your insight!

*The spark plug wires in the truck now are very new but are standard wires... do I need to upgrade the wires for this HEI distributor?

The HEI puts out a hot spark, but standard plug wires should be fine.

Good to know. Thanks Gary!

I purchased the A-Team Performance HEI distributor (mentioned above) and have some questions that maybe you guys can help with.

BTW, I also purchased a FUSE HOLDER and RELAY (the same as those used by 'tanman' in his thread titled "86 F150 straight six TFI to HEI"... I'm following the general guidelines he put forth).

*What AMPERAGE would you recommend the fuse be in this system to protect the HEI distributor? 20A? 30A?

**I haven't gotten into the engine bay yet to check the wiring (and clean off the wires), but Gary mentioned to 'tanman' about powering the relay --> (Gary's quote) "I think I'd use the White/Light Blue wire that powered the TFI module & coil to pull in the relay.

I should do the same right? Use the WHITE/LIGHT BLUE WIRE (I'm assuming that the wires in my '85 ford are the same color running to my TFI module & coil as his '86 ford).

***I don't remember the gap setting for the spark plugs that are currently in my 85 f150 truck, but in passing I have read one or two comments that the spark plugs should all be re-gapped to around 0.045-0.05 for this HEI distributor. Any thoughts on that? I figured I'd try the spark plugs as they are currently and if there's any issues then re-gap and see if they're any better.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

I purchased the A-Team Performance HEI distributor (mentioned above) and have some questions that maybe you guys can help with.

BTW, I also purchased a FUSE HOLDER and RELAY (the same as those used by 'tanman' in his thread titled "86 F150 straight six TFI to HEI"... I'm following the general guidelines he put forth).

*What AMPERAGE would you recommend the fuse be in this system to protect the HEI distributor? 20A? 30A?

**I haven't gotten into the engine bay yet to check the wiring (and clean off the wires), but Gary mentioned to 'tanman' about powering the relay --> (Gary's quote) "I think I'd use the White/Light Blue wire that powered the TFI module & coil to pull in the relay.

I should do the same right? Use the WHITE/LIGHT BLUE WIRE (I'm assuming that the wires in my '85 ford are the same color running to my TFI module & coil as his '86 ford).

***I don't remember the gap setting for the spark plugs that are currently in my 85 f150 truck, but in passing I have read one or two comments that the spark plugs should all be re-gapped to around 0.045-0.05 for this HEI distributor. Any thoughts on that? I figured I'd try the spark plugs as they are currently and if there's any issues then re-gap and see if they're any better.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

I think a 20A fuse would be adequate, but let's see what other say.

And the white/light blue wire should work fine to pull in the relay.

But I don't know about the plug gap. The HEI is a hot system so maybe more gap? I'll tag Bill as he will probably know.

I think a 20A fuse would be adequate, but let's see what other say.

And the white/light blue wire should work fine to pull in the relay.

But I don't know about the plug gap. The HEI is a hot system so maybe more gap? I'll tag Bill as he will probably know.

In looking at this thread from Yellow Bullet, it seems like 30A is a better choice (if an HEI can really spike to "more than 25A")

Fuses are not a fusible link, and don't handle transient spikes like a link will.

I do understand that the HEI module will automatically increase dwell with a feeble circuit, and that because of how it's wired can never go beyond 45°.

DSII plug gap is .044" (.042-.046)

I've always gapped Chevy's with HEI at 050"

In looking at this thread from Yellow Bullet, it seems like 30A is a better choice (if an HEI can really spike to "more than 25A")

Fuses are not a fusible link, and don't handle transient spikes like a link will.

I do understand that the HEI module will automatically increase dwell with a feeble circuit, and that because of how it's wired can never go beyond 45°.

DSII plug gap is .044" (.042-.046)

I've always gapped Chevy's with HEI at 050"

Good point, Jim. Thanks!