Bullnose Forums

Speed Density Issues

Bruno2

I am having issues with a 91 F 150 351W. It seems to act up when it's cold outside. Sort of like the fuel and air isnt mixing right. I know these trucks have an ambient air temp sensor, MAF and a MAP. I believe it is some sort of communication error with the PCM. Is there a procedure to ohm the above sensors out for diagnosis?

Symptoms are hard starts. Truck turns over, but doesnt like to catch and run. When it does finally run it has a horrible idle, smells rich and wants to die at stops.Requires a lot of throttle to clear it out and make the truck go.

Any suggestions would be great.

There are resistance values for the sensors, ECT, ACT are resistance, the MAP is a strange one, it generates a variable frequency based on the manifold absolute pressure (amount below atmospheric). FWIW, the ACT and ECT values are the same for a given temperature. Here are the values, if you have a good multimeter you can check the values on the air and coolant sensors.

Air_temp_sensor.jpg.13fbab71b5e726578eaffd9f54235219.jpg

Coolant_temp_sensor.jpg.1cddd1c023539d94e5fb1e508f28227e.jpg

MAP_sensor.jpg.0f3567b533731047565f354099ab52cd.jpg

• 1 month later...

So I thought we had it whooped after changing the MAP sensor. Then I decided it was an ignition issue. I put the spark tester on the coil and it was hitting just fine. So it's not the p/u coil or tje ICM.

I guess I need to pull codes now.

So I thought we had it whooped after changing the MAP sensor. Then I decided it was an ignition issue. I put the spark tester on the coil and it was hitting just fine. So it's not the p/u coil or tje ICM.

I guess I need to pull codes now.

Without knowing a thing I replied to Gary's video asking if the truck had good fuel pressure and if the regulator vacuum line was dry.

I didn't get the first impression that the cam timing had slipped. I'm not hearing it spitting back, but that may just be because it doesn't have a carb.

I hope it's a simple fix! :nabble_smiley_cool:

I agree with you Gary, definitely sounds like it is quite a bit retarded. Have you tried a vacuum gauge to see what you have for manifold vacuum with it running?

It looks as though I am 9-10° before TDC WITH 15-16 Hgz of manifold vacuum.