Bullnose Forums

Speedometer cable

El Chapo

The yoke will clamp it, but if it has too much play side to side then it may bind a bit with the driven gear. Can you post a video of how much play it has?

Ok I’ll try and get a video. I contacted the guy who makes these and tells me he purposely oversizes them because of ford making slightly different shaft sizes and that it should be fine.. but it’s obvious that this was hand made no judgment there but there are pits marks and the tubing used has a flat spot on the inside from one end to another.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I’ll try and get a video. I contacted the guy who makes these and tells me he purposely oversizes them because of ford making slightly different shaft sizes and that it should be fine.. but it’s obvious that this was hand made no judgment there but there are pits marks and the tubing used has a flat spot on the inside from one end to another.

Yeah, if the drive gear is sloppy on the output shaft, that doesn't sound good.

The drive gear needs to be concentric or it will cause/be damaged.

Sounds like another vendor to avoid, especially if they don't understand the basics of gear mesh.

There absolutely shouldn't be any variations in shaft size...

How would the internal gear or output yoke fit properly if the shaft was off? :nabble_anim_confused:

Yeah, if the drive gear is sloppy on the output shaft, that doesn't sound good.

The drive gear needs to be concentric or it will cause/be damaged.

Sounds like another vendor to avoid, especially if they don't understand the basics of gear mesh.

There absolutely shouldn't be any variations in shaft size...

How would the internal gear or output yoke fit properly if the shaft was off? :nabble_anim_confused:

Yeah it just didn’t sit well with me. And you nailed it “concentric” a new word for me so I looked it up, and yes that’s it.. my concern. Concentric I’m feeling so smart right now.

Thank you so very much!

Yeah it just didn’t sit well with me. And you nailed it “concentric” a new word for me so I looked it up, and yes that’s it.. my concern. Concentric I’m feeling so smart right now.

Thank you so very much!

Regarding the driven gear I received the vendor is stating a lack of quality control on behalf of Borg-Warner specifically output shafts. And current supply chain issue on the tubing available. But still claims this should not be a concern. I requested he just send me the plastic gear and I’ll attempt a replacement on my own sleeve. Looks like his was glued on? I asked what was used.

We’ll see …this is getting really crazy now!

Regarding the driven gear I received the vendor is stating a lack of quality control on behalf of Borg-Warner specifically output shafts. And current supply chain issue on the tubing available. But still claims this should not be a concern. I requested he just send me the plastic gear and I’ll attempt a replacement on my own sleeve. Looks like his was glued on? I asked what was used.

Or I can buy a legit one somewhere any ideas? At this point I’m knee deep in yogurt… so a reasonable price is irrelevant.

I've only rebuilt two transfer cases but in both of them the drive gear slid on tightly. So I do not believe the statement about BW quality control.

But I don't know how the gear was affixed to the tube. I assumed it was a press fit, but really don't know.

I've only rebuilt two transfer cases but in both of them the drive gear slid on tightly. So I do not believe the statement about BW quality control.

But I don't know how the gear was affixed to the tube. I assumed it was a press fit, but really don't know.

The tube is knurled and the gear is molded on.

At least that's how the originals were made.

I don't see any glue or press fit holding in a constant bath of hot ATF.

Let me see what I can hunt down.... :nabble_anim_working:

The tube is knurled and the gear is molded on.

At least that's how the originals were made.

I don't see any glue or press fit holding in a constant bath of hot ATF.

Let me see what I can hunt down.... :nabble_anim_working:

Can you accurately measure the tube of the drive gear you purchased? (Cheap digital caliper?)

This eBay listing has ID and OD in their full description, plus lists reasons for failure that seem to mirror your situation.

But is seems exactly the same as the LA Speedometer Gear one offered by American Hot Rod Solutions listed on Amazon.

I'm not sure what to make of that.... ? 🤔

Can you accurately measure the tube of the drive gear you purchased? (Cheap digital caliper?)

This eBay listing has ID and OD in their full description, plus lists reasons for failure that seem to mirror your situation.

But is seems exactly the same as the LA Speedometer Gear one offered by American Hot Rod Solutions listed on Amazon.

I'm not sure what to make of that.... ? 🤔

Yes what’s the Amazon supplier.

He doesn’t think sending me just the gear is a good idea for the various technical reasons he listed. And will refund my $. Thank you for sharing I did see the eBay post.

Thx