Bullnose Forums

Speedometer cable

El Chapo

My speedometer was not working so I replaced the cable that was damaged, actually severed almost completely due to the fact that the support clip is up against the gear swift linkage, very poor placement. Speedometer still doesn’t work and I don’t see the cable rotating while driving. I double checked the connection at the transmission that seemed ok however I stuck my finger inside where the cable goes and that felt like loose plastic or something I’m assuming it’s a gear. Can someone tell me what I should be looking at I’m kinda operating blind on this.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recognize the transmission you have listed, but all the mechanical speedos are driven by a worm gear on the transmission (or transfer case) output shaft, and a plastic gear that sits just under where the speedo cable comes out. You should be able to pull the speedo cable out of the tailshaft, and extract the plastic gear. It will most likely be stripped.

To test whether the problem is in the gears or further upstream, with the cable pulled out of the transmission, put a cordless drill on it and see if your speedo starts moving. Be sure to try the drill in both directions.

I don't recognize the transmission you have listed, but all the mechanical speedos are driven by a worm gear on the transmission (or transfer case) output shaft, and a plastic gear that sits just under where the speedo cable comes out. You should be able to pull the speedo cable out of the tailshaft, and extract the plastic gear. It will most likely be stripped.

To test whether the problem is in the gears or further upstream, with the cable pulled out of the transmission, put a cordless drill on it and see if your speedo starts moving. Be sure to try the drill in both directions.

When I removed the speedo the plastic gear didn’t come out but I was able to fish it out. The plastic gear seemed ok but I’ll replace it anyways. I’m not sure how it would have been attached to speedo with a suspect clip and sensor.

Thank you for your input very much appreciated!

When I removed the speedo the plastic gear didn’t come out but I was able to fish it out. The plastic gear seemed ok but I’ll replace it anyways. I’m not sure how it would have been attached to speedo with a suspect clip and sensor.

Thank you for your input very much appreciated!

C3035C04-460B-4E6B-BA83-9F4D07FF46BB.jpeg.8e47abbfd03193a6f3c40e35483acc54.jpeg

Is there yet another removable gear in the transfer case or is this it. The clip is very loose and I don’t see how it would have all been secured. Is it possible that the grove on the sensor where the clip is secured wore out?

71970581-685A-42BC-8842-5F7CAC084724.thumb.jpeg.92edb37ed322d33d332e760418fbfe79.jpeg

I’ll replace the sensor, clip and gear just want to make sure there isn’t anything else I may be missing here.

Is there yet another removable gear in the transfer case or is this it. The clip is very loose and I don’t see how it would have all been secured. Is it possible that the grove on the sensor where the clip is secured wore out?

I’ll replace the sensor, clip and gear just want to make sure there isn’t anything else I may be missing here.

The drive gear in the transfer case can be removed if you take off the tailshaft housing. (I assume an '86 has a Borg Warner 13-45?)

Can you see what color the internal gear is?

Yeah, if the gear stayed in the tailshaft, then something is amiss. Your plan to replace the gear and the sensor and the clip is a good one. The gears are color coded for the tooth count, to accommodate different rear end ratios, so make sure you count the teeth on your old one and get a new one with the same tooth count.

The drive gear in the transfer case can be removed if you take off the tailshaft housing. (I assume an '86 has a Borg Warner 13-45?)

Can you see what color the internal gear is?

Removed the shaft tail with 1 1/2” socket if I look closely I can see a yellow ring around the inner gear that I removed the bolt from there’s a bearing around it that’s hard to get a good look without removing/destroying the outer seal I’m afraid I would not be able to purchase and replace it. But if that is what I have to do to get to whatever (gear/seal?) I’m hunting for in there I’ll do it. The yellow ring is slipped around free flowing bearing of sort on the gear shaft. I hope I’m on the right track here? Also I did the drill test and the speedo moves but only in a single direction I don’t assume it would in reverse?

Removed the shaft tail with 1 1/2” socket if I look closely I can see a yellow ring around the inner gear that I removed the bolt from there’s a bearing around it that’s hard to get a good look without removing/destroying the outer seal I’m afraid I would not be able to purchase and replace it. But if that is what I have to do to get to whatever (gear/seal?) I’m hunting for in there I’ll do it. The yellow ring is slipped around free flowing bearing of sort on the gear shaft. I hope I’m on the right track here? Also I did the drill test and the speedo moves but only in a single direction I don’t assume it would in reverse?

You need to identify which transfer case you have and if that drive gear is chewed up.

Gears aren't hard to come by but you must get the correct one for the case that you have.

As I recall Gary has a 1345 and documented how to change the drive gear on that one. (I've got a 1356, and can't help you much)

Sounds to me like maybe it's just the driven gear (that you already have out) that is a problem if it won't engage the speedometer cable correctly.