Bullnose Forums

Camping Gear Needs for Big Blue's Overlanding Trip

My son and I think we are finally going to get to take our first overlanding trip in January or February. So I'm now thinking about what camping gear we need in order to do this well.

I don't want a repeat of the first camping trip Janey and I took with our brand new 1972 F250 and 9 1/2' self-contained camper - we forgot a can opener and dinner was in a can. I'm pretty sure dinner won't be in a can with my son as he's quite the cook, but I do want to think through what will be needed, and want the help of y'all.

We have a tent, sleeping bags, pads, cook stove, ice chest, flashlights, headlamps, string lights, camp chairs, and an awning in case of bad weather. Plus my son will ID all of the cooking gear we will need as that's his forte. But here are some of the things I know we need, and if any of you have recommendations on them or ideas of other things we need please chime in:

• Table: We need a table to hold the Coleman propane stove, food prep, etc

• Lantern: At least one, if not two, rechargeable lanterns.

• Water Container: We need something to hold water for drinking, food prep, dish washing, face washing, etc. But that may be a bit of a problem in Jan or Feb as it'll probably be below freezing so the container will have to be amenable to that.

• Plates, utensils, cups, etc: And we will need these things, but can probably make do with ones from our kitchen. However, if there are suggestions...

Thoughts? Suggestions?

A portable toilet.

I think that because I can’t go dig a hole in the woods anymore.

I use the Double Doodie bags. You can get a seat for a 5 gallon bucket.

https://relianceoutdoors.com/collections/top-sellers

Good idea, Dane. I saved a brand new chemical toilet from the boat we sold but my son doesn't want to take it, suggesting we dig a hole. But I'd rather sit down to do my business.

This page at Reliance has the bags awa several toilet options. :nabble_smiley_good:

Good idea, Dane. I saved a brand new chemical toilet from the boat we sold but my son doesn't want to take it, suggesting we dig a hole. But I'd rather sit down to do my business.

This page at Reliance has the bags awa several toilet options. :nabble_smiley_good:

I know they make a toilet seat that slips into a receiver hitch, the Bumper Dumper. đŸ¤”

I usually end up leaned back against a tree so my heels are out of the 'drop zone'. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

For camping I like those melamine plates and bowls that were so ubiquitous in the '70's. Easy to clean, fairly heat resistant and near indestructible.

Cheap stainless real flatware, and a Mora knife (basic 4", stainless blade, plastic handle and sheath) something like these.

Stainless insulated tumblers or mugs.

Or maybe a whole set like this....? 28PCS Wheat Straw Dinnerware Sets Stainless Steel Cutlery Adult Set / 4 Large Plates, Bowls, Cups (16oz), 4 Stainless Steel Cutlery Sets / Reusable Reusable, Microwave & Dishwasher Safe https://a.co/d/885MHcL

I try to keep it basic and limit myself to the dollar store or big box.

I know they make a toilet seat that slips into a receiver hitch, the Bumper Dumper. đŸ¤”

I usually end up leaned back against a tree so my heels are out of the 'drop zone'. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

For camping I like those melamine plates and bowls that were so ubiquitous in the '70's. Easy to clean, fairly heat resistant and near indestructible.

Cheap stainless real flatware, and a Mora knife (basic 4", stainless blade, plastic handle and sheath) something like these.

Or maybe a whole set like this....? 28PCS Wheat Straw Dinnerware Sets Stainless Steel Cutlery Adult Set / 4 Large Plates, Bowls, Cups (16oz), 4 Stainless Steel Cutlery Sets / Reusable Reusable, Microwave & Dishwasher Safe https://a.co/d/885MHcL

Thanks, Jim. Janey has some plates she says I can take, so we may be able to piece something together that way. But we will need cooking utensils, pots, etc. Hmmm, guess I'd better make a list.

Bumper dumper! That’s great! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Thanks, Jim. Janey has some plates she says I can take, so we may be able to piece something together that way. But we will need cooking utensils, pots, etc. Hmmm, guess I'd better make a list.

I thought your son was in charge of all the cooking gear?

I will say that I have a plastic 6' folding table I keep in the bed of my truck.

I use it on the job as a workbench, saw stand, horses... It's very versatile. I think I got mine at Walmart.

Keeping water from freezing is going to be an issue (depending on where you go)

For bulk water storage Spectre has poly Jerry cans, 50l I think. But one of those cube shaped containers with a handle and spout is very useful set on the tailgate so you can fill a pot or rinse your hands.

If you want a pot, pan, kettle or utensils just go to an estate sale or a church thrift shop.

They don't need to be fancy or new. Old stuff is much higher quality.