Bullnose Forums

Front and Rear Differential Gear Oil Change

Machspeed

Your spare tire sling is still in one piece. :nabble_smiley_good:

It's always fun when that lets go while driving down the road! :nabble_smiley_scared: :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: :nabble_smiley_whistling:

oof lol. I bet. I Just wish I had the special under the bed hardware, brackets, or tank from the 1967 f100 camper special truck bed trailer I have, because that came with factory aux tank which would sit inside the frame rail. those would have fetched some money lol.

That has a 9 inch on it. was nice when one day the drum self-actuated in the back part of my property. One side only, but getting the drum off was difficult to say the least in the mud and far from the tools lol

oof lol. I bet. I Just wish I had the special under the bed hardware, brackets, or tank from the 1967 f100 camper special truck bed trailer I have, because that came with factory aux tank which would sit inside the frame rail. those would have fetched some money lol.

That has a 9 inch on it. was nice when one day the drum self-actuated in the back part of my property. One side only, but getting the drum off was difficult to say the least in the mud and far from the tools lol

Jim and Gary, thanks for the responses!

So, can I use the same gear oil with friction modifiers in both differentials or would you suggest otherwise?

Gary, why would you not pull the third member? I've thought about it and the more I think about it the more I think I need to do it. I just can't half-a things and in "my mind" that's what that is. Talk me out of it....LOL! It bugs the fire out of me that I can't fully access the front differential and that I have to suck the stuff out knowingly leaving some behind.

Thanks again fellas!

Jim and Gary, thanks for the responses!

So, can I use the same gear oil with friction modifiers in both differentials or would you suggest otherwise?

Gary, why would you not pull the third member? I've thought about it and the more I think about it the more I think I need to do it. I just can't half-a things and in "my mind" that's what that is. Talk me out of it....LOL! It bugs the fire out of me that I can't fully access the front differential and that I have to suck the stuff out knowingly leaving some behind.

Thanks again fellas!

I don't think there's any harm in using a gear oil that has friction modifiers already in it but I sure wouldn't add it to regular oil in a diff that has no clutches that need the protection.

Are the inner axle seals leaking?

Disassembling the entire front end of your truck (rotors, axles, spindles, beams) seems like a crazy amount of work to change the oil.

There's no internal combustion going on here to contaminate it.

I'm definitely from the "do it right, do it once" camp, but I also believe in "if it's not broke don't 'fix' it"

There's always the possibility of creating a leak if the seals don't sit on the axles just right or the heavy housing doesn't seal up to the beam correctly. (and it would be a huge ordeal to pull it apart again if you did)

Just my 2c

I don't think there's any harm in using a gear oil that has friction modifiers already in it but I sure wouldn't add it to regular oil in a diff that has no clutches that need the protection.

Are the inner axle seals leaking?

Disassembling the entire front end of your truck (rotors, axles, spindles, beams) seems like a crazy amount of work to change the oil.

There's no internal combustion going on here to contaminate it.

I'm definitely from the "do it right, do it once" camp, but I also believe in "if it's not broke don't 'fix' it"

There's always the possibility of creating a leak if the seals don't sit on the axles just right or the heavy housing doesn't seal up to the beam correctly. (and it would be a huge ordeal to pull it apart again if you did)

Just my 2c

I agree with Jim about pulling the pumpkins. Way too much work. On the rear you have to pull the wheels, brakes, and axles, plus the drive shaft. On the front is is much harder - in fact the case is supposed to be spread open a bit to get the pumpkin out.

Just use your suction gun and change the oil. And if you are paranoid, do it again in a couple of years. That'll be easier and cheaper than pulling the pumpkins.