Bullnose Forums

Larry the Lariat - My 86 F150 4x4

chirkware

I'm a little scared. when I see a razor blade scraper in the same picture of a Holley metering block I want to cringe. now I have done it, but I have also ruined aluminum parts that way in my much younger years. that's how I learned. I prefer a piece of wood to scrape carb gaskets if I cannot cleanly get to them with a small blunt screwdriver. and that power valve looks as if it might have been leaking a little since being installed. really out of position.

Yeah, the scraper was used mostly on the steel parts, though I won't lie and say it didn't touch any aluminum. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

In my defense, it was a fresh sharp blade. :nabble_smiley_happy:

I did use a small blunt screwdriver a good bit. Also used 0000 steel wool and 400 grit sandpaper trying to clean off this annoying gasket material on different surfaces. I did try to be particularly gentle on the aluminum.

The kit came with a new power valve, and I was VERY careful to make sure the gasket for it was properly aligned, unlike the old one.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the scraper was used mostly on the steel parts, though I won't lie and say it didn't touch any aluminum. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

In my defense, it was a fresh sharp blade. :nabble_smiley_happy:

I did use a small blunt screwdriver a good bit. Also used 0000 steel wool and 400 grit sandpaper trying to clean off this annoying gasket material on different surfaces. I did try to be particularly gentle on the aluminum.

The kit came with a new power valve, and I was VERY careful to make sure the gasket for it was properly aligned, unlike the old one.

The proof is in the pudding - does it run? How well?

The proof is in the pudding - does it run? How well?

Not sure yet how is gonna run. Carb is still sitting on my workbench.

I decided to order a carb cleaning kit with those little brushes to get down in the tubes better. All I've done so far is spray through them with carb cleaner but the more I thought about it, the more I realize there was dried out gas residue all over the places I could see, and I'm not convinced that just spraying the carb cleaner through all the passages was enough to ensure they were all adequately cleaned out. So... I'm gonna wait till the kit comes in and pull it back apart and give everything one more good cleaning.

Getting close to a year now and I've driven the truck maybe 30' so far. 🤣

Not sure yet how is gonna run. Carb is still sitting on my workbench.

I decided to order a carb cleaning kit with those little brushes to get down in the tubes better. All I've done so far is spray through them with carb cleaner but the more I thought about it, the more I realize there was dried out gas residue all over the places I could see, and I'm not convinced that just spraying the carb cleaner through all the passages was enough to ensure they were all adequately cleaned out. So... I'm gonna wait till the kit comes in and pull it back apart and give everything one more good cleaning.

Getting close to a year now and I've driven the truck maybe 30' so far. 🤣

That's probably a wise choice.

I put the little straw on the can of carb/brake cleaner and use it to blow through all of the passages in the carb. But I wear safety glasses when doing it as I will assure you that cleaner in your eye is very painful, and if you are spraying into a blind hole it'll come back at you in a heart beat.

Then I use a spray gun with a rubber tip and blow compressed air through those holes. Sometimes that cleans things out that the cleaner didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

That's probably a wise choice.

I put the little straw on the can of carb/brake cleaner and use it to blow through all of the passages in the carb. But I wear safety glasses when doing it as I will assure you that cleaner in your eye is very painful, and if you are spraying into a blind hole it'll come back at you in a heart beat.

Then I use a spray gun with a rubber tip and blow compressed air through those holes. Sometimes that cleans things out that the cleaner didn't.

Well I put the carb on today, and then pulled it back off because it leaks. :nabble_smiley_sad:

59838EA1-18A8-4EA9-A3F8-6040E597A246.jpeg.90107bdb77f1e92981bf9dd027fd66b3.jpeg

Pulled it back off and finally realized it’s the fuel transfer tube. Looks like the o-rings just aren’t sealing good. I think the new gaskets are just thicker than the old, so the tube doesn’t press right on the o-rings.

I just ordered a new style transfer tube that uses grommets instead of o-rings. Looks like that’s a better design. But now another week to wait. Yippee! :nabble_anim_crazy:

This is what I ordered, hopefully it’s right. 5.5”. My current tube is 6”, but that seems right as the new style only goes to the depth where the o-ring on the old style was (if that made any sense!).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165483286998?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ycDuSlRzStW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=iWs_h1CATYG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Well I put the carb on today, and then pulled it back off because it leaks. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Pulled it back off and finally realized it’s the fuel transfer tube. Looks like the o-rings just aren’t sealing good. I think the new gaskets are just thicker than the old, so the tube doesn’t press right on the o-rings.

I just ordered a new style transfer tube that uses grommets instead of o-rings. Looks like that’s a better design. But now another week to wait. Yippee! :nabble_anim_crazy:

This is what I ordered, hopefully it’s right. 5.5”. My current tube is 6”, but that seems right as the new style only goes to the depth where the o-ring on the old style was (if that made any sense!).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165483286998?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ycDuSlRzStW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=iWs_h1CATYG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I've not used the new style transfer tube, but it is easy to get a leak with the old style. If the o-rings aren't well lubed they get pinched between the bowl's casting and the ridge on the tube and are easily cut. And even if you have lube on them they can get pinched. Or, if the gaskets are thicker then one end might not go fully into the bore.

I’ve rotated the transfer tube back and forth and got it to stop leaking. Seem touchy for some reason.

I’ve rotated the transfer tube back and forth and got it to stop leaking. Seem touchy for some reason.

The grommet setup looks so much more substantial than the o-rings.

157795EE-CE13-46A1-836C-4BA3ED53D6DD.jpeg.a1dad04b5daf9c3c341a8768231a4761.jpeg

Didn’t have time tonight to put it together, but no doubt this will solve the problem.

Looks like you could cut about 7/16” off one end of the line longer o-Ring style tube and use grommets on it just fine. The other end would still have the unneeded nub (that the o-ring would have sealed against) but the grommet is just the right length that the nub is not in the way.

C5724345-AC10-4A61-9840-813238B7C438.jpeg.f735dae545ea4694180ac42100f5b596.jpeg

BB610E81-D631-4198-85B0-81836A2D3E52.jpeg.f18711dae297b772c45ebd56fc5e4160.jpeg

The grommet setup looks so much more substantial than the o-rings.

Didn’t have time tonight to put it together, but no doubt this will solve the problem.

Looks like you could cut about 7/16” off one end of the line longer o-Ring style tube and use grommets on it just fine. The other end would still have the unneeded nub (that the o-ring would have sealed against) but the grommet is just the right length that the nub is not in the way.

I agree, the grommets look much better than the o-rings. (Another of the MANY Holley design problems solved. :nabble_smiley_evil:)

I agree, the grommets look much better than the o-rings. (Another of the MANY Holley design problems solved. :nabble_smiley_evil:)

Carb is installed. I filled the primary bowl through tht breather tube and it fired right up!

I let it idle a few minutes and then finally tried the transmission. Moved back and forth fine.

So it was time for Larry's first drive...(ok, just in the yard... I'll need to get fuel and brakes done before it can go on the road)