Bullnose Forums

Larry the Lariat - My 86 F150 4x4

chirkware

If this guy is right, the old style bearing I need to replace is discontinued, and the one I have now is all that’s available.

Listen to what he says starting at about 3:33, and keep in mind he posted this 11 years ago.

get a good look at the end of your housing to make sure the race is not still on it. the bearing that you are showing looks to be a bearing/race combo.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get a good look at the end of your housing to make sure the race is not still on it. the bearing that you are showing looks to be a bearing/race combo.

It's still in there right now... I've got to pull it. Funny thing... EVERY video I watched, they either had the new style beating already or didn't have to change the bearing, so a race bring in the housing never came up. If I survive this 😳, I plan to post a video to YouTube of the process.

It's still in there right now... I've got to pull it. Funny thing... EVERY video I watched, they either had the new style beating already or didn't have to change the bearing, so a race bring in the housing never came up. If I survive this 😳, I plan to post a video to YouTube of the process.

We ALL appreciate this, because it adds to our knowledge base! :nabble_smiley_cool:

I'm following along as I'm not sure that I fully comprehend the questions. it seems to me that you should be able to slip the bearing away from the race right there in your hands and see the bearing is the same as the one on the axle. maybe I'm:nabble_anim_confused: misreading something.

Excellent! Reading this discussion helps!

shows the before and after I'll end up with apparently...

I currently have the old style with tapered bearing pressed to the axle and a separate race pressed into the housing. They come together when the axle is installed into the housing.

I'll end up with the new style...a single unit (with integral race) that is pressed into the axle. The axle then is pressed into the housing, which mates the integral race into the housing.

This explains why some videos on YouTube show the axle just being pulled out by hand (old style bearing), yet others had to use a slide hammer (new style bearing).

Evidently, this new style is all that's being sold now.

Β 

Excellent! Reading this discussion helps!

shows the before and after I'll end up with apparently...

I currently have the old style with tapered bearing pressed to the axle and a separate race pressed into the housing. They come together when the axle is installed into the housing.

I'll end up with the new style...a single unit (with integral race) that is pressed into the axle. The axle then is pressed into the housing, which mates the integral race into the housing.

This explains why some videos on YouTube show the axle just being pulled out by hand (old style bearing), yet others had to use a slide hammer (new style bearing).

Evidently, this new style is all that's being sold now.

I'm glad to be of service! πŸ˜‰

I'm following along as I'm not sure that I fully comprehend the questions. it seems to me that you should be able to slip the bearing away from the race right there in your hands and see the bearing is the same as the one on the axle. maybe I'm:nabble_anim_confused: misreading something.

That's the thing... The new bearings are different. No more is the race a separate piece. Not sure why the old style is gone, but evidently all manufacturers are only making them with the race integrated into the bearing.

At one point today I was 90% sure the Timken SET20 bearing I bought was wrong for my truck since the race doesn't come off. I spent all afternoon reading and watching YouTube videos the last one I posted, plus the one from the other discussion that Jim linked has made me 95% sure the SET20 is in fact correct, despite it's design differences.

That's the thing... The new bearings are different. No more is the race a separate piece. Not sure why the old style is gone, but evidently all manufacturers are only making them with the race integrated into the bearing.

At one point today I was 90% sure the Timken SET20 bearing I bought was wrong for my truck since the race doesn't come off. I spent all afternoon reading and watching YouTube videos the last one I posted, plus the one from the other discussion that Jim linked has made me 95% sure the SET20 is in fact correct, despite it's design differences.

Well, now that I was convinced I had the right bearing, I took some closer measurements.

Axle shaft seems to be the 1.531" as expected. ***BUT*** measuring the outer edge of the race I've not yet removed from the housing, it appears to be the "small" housing at 2.875".

E0926AB2-1D94-4404-B753-648B50EABB50.jpeg.255d4493572a0724e558de3108415bd0.jpeg

5CFD7D1D-04A5-48B6-B981-55F6839C7ED4.jpeg.3fa56c4ef8a7e93c67f7024c7b76b69c.jpeg

(I need better calipers!)

If that's the case, I'm on the hunt again for the right bearing as the Timken SET20 is for the large housing (3.150").

My mind is blown. I'm done for the day! Time for a shower and to get some sleep. I've been on this all day and have only accomplished yanking the axle and getting confused. πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

Next step... Crawl up under this thing and examine this axle closer. What in the world is under this truck???

Well, now that I was convinced I had the right bearing, I took some closer measurements.

Axle shaft seems to be the 1.531" as expected. ***BUT*** measuring the outer edge of the race I've not yet removed from the housing, it appears to be the "small" housing at 2.875".

(I need better calipers!)

If that's the case, I'm on the hunt again for the right bearing as the Timken SET20 is for the large housing (3.150").

My mind is blown. I'm done for the day! Time for a shower and to get some sleep. I've been on this all day and have only accomplished yanking the axle and getting confused. πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

Next step... Crawl up under this thing and examine this axle closer. What in the world is under this truck???

Get a $10 electronic plastic caliper at Horrid Fate.

They are fine for this sort of stuff. πŸ’‘