Bullnose Forums

Larry the Lariat - My 86 F150 4x4

chirkware

Funny...I just came to my laptop to try to look at the docs you referenced (I had not looked at them, but had watched a few youtube videos) while working on Larry. To get to this website, I started entering larrysgaragemahal ... Larry, Gary, what's the difference?!? LOL Oddly, my browser didn't find the site!

Reviewing the docs now before I start destroying things! :)

Regarding bleeding the brakes...I hadn't really looked at that up to this point, but I think I get what you are saying now. Same concept as this video, but a bit more diy?

Looks SO much easier!

That's funny! My poor grandmother had grandsons named Jerry, Terry, and Gary so had problems on what to say at times. But computers are somewhat critical about errors, so I'm not surprised that your browser didn't find the site.And yes, the brake bleeding is as described in that video - power bleeding. But all you need is a spare cap, a hose barb, and a garden sprayer. Just pump up a bit of pressure and it'll push the fluid through the lines to each wheel.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's funny! My poor grandmother had grandsons named Jerry, Terry, and Gary so had problems on what to say at times. But computers are somewhat critical about errors, so I'm not surprised that your browser didn't find the site.

And yes, the brake bleeding is as described in that video - power bleeding. But all you need is a spare cap, a hose barb, and a garden sprayer. Just pump up a bit of pressure and it'll push the fluid through the lines to each wheel.

So my new bearing is different from the old one. Just want to be sure this is right before I destroy the old one.

Just shot this video to show the differences.

Good news! I can confirm that the Raybestos MC39634 does indeed come with the residual pressure valve!

In other news, no turning back now!

We know this...... 🙄

On a side note, Cory, what the heck have you got there! 🧐

Midlife crisis??? 😂

Link is broken.

Do you have tapered roller instead of barrel?

Link should be fixed now. I forgot to check that HTML thing for the embedded link.

Current bearing is tapered. I guess the new one is something different. The box it came in calls it a Tapered Roller Bearing, but it isn’t.

DF2E0470-F931-45E4-9866-FA4A86384A66.jpeg.42321971225ac96f12c0c170abbabe0a.jpeg

EB4AD134-34E4-4D93-AF22-F6C92F905CC0.jpeg.d80b8a72e20b6866181c39a76ddc2ff7.jpeg

26E2D100-E391-44D5-8B48-29687342ED4A.jpeg.f4bd84da05477775128c5a724c9bc95c.jpeg

D63AD5DF-88D1-42FE-A6F9-78766DEE3C18.jpeg.912fff0568bfde09bec8575a800fed4e.jpeg

1C6D49AC-C31C-415C-A775-D367BA886477.jpeg.9e9eff0df2d3c52f15d0ba42ed06defd.jpeg

Link is broken.

Do you have tapered roller instead of barrel?

Link should be fixed now. I forgot to check that HTML thing for the embedded link.

Current bearing is tapered. I guess the new one is something different. The box it came in calls it a Tapered Roller Bearing, but it isn’t.

Yeah.

The NASCAR style bearing does not allow setting play like a tapered bearing does.

There was a thread about finding the style you seem to have ordered, recently.

Maybe search 9" hub bearing....?

It wasn't long ago IIRC.

Yeah.

The NASCAR style bearing does not allow setting play like a tapered bearing does.

There was a thread about finding the style you seem to have ordered, recently.

Maybe search 9" hub bearing....?

It wasn't long ago IIRC.

Ok, this is interesting:

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/wheel-bearing-hub-assembly-rear/p/duralast-bearing-set20az/262369_0_0?searchText=Axle+bearing

So far, Autozone is the ONLY vendor I’ve found that allows me to actually specify 4wd for my truck. And they show the same looking sealed type bearing. In fact, their brand part has a part number starting with Timken’s “SET20” post number. Only thing different is it seems Autozone’s part doesn’t include the seal. And it’s half the price. They show it compatible with F150’s from 75-86, both 2wd and 4wd.

So is it just an “upgrade” over what I have? Or maybe someone stuck an older axle in this truck?

I’ve spent the last four hours researching. I’ve not found ANY parts listings that acknowledge that the old bearing I have even exists.

Ok, this is interesting:

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/wheel-bearing-hub-assembly-rear/p/duralast-bearing-set20az/262369_0_0?searchText=Axle+bearing

So far, Autozone is the ONLY vendor I’ve found that allows me to actually specify 4wd for my truck. And they show the same looking sealed type bearing. In fact, their brand part has a part number starting with Timken’s “SET20” post number. Only thing different is it seems Autozone’s part doesn’t include the seal. And it’s half the price. They show it compatible with F150’s from 75-86, both 2wd and 4wd.

So is it just an “upgrade” over what I have? Or maybe someone stuck an older axle in this truck?

I’ve spent the last four hours researching. I’ve not found ANY parts listings that acknowledge that the old bearing I have even exists.

If this guy is right, the old style bearing I need to replace is discontinued, and the one I have now is all that’s available.

Listen to what he says starting at about 3:33, and keep in mind he posted this 11 years ago.

If this guy is right, the old style bearing I need to replace is discontinued, and the one I have now is all that’s available.

Listen to what he says starting at about 3:33, and keep in mind he posted this 11 years ago.

- deleted -