Bullnose Forums

Larry the Lariat - My 86 F150 4x4

chirkware

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n125474/D2533F9E-9F8B-4E58-AE3A-C052DDDF6BDE.jpeg

If I wanted to bypass the NSS (for testing only), anyone know how to jumper at this point? Just want to see if this is truly what’s keeping the starter from engaging or if there is something else going on as well.

I would only expect an NSS to be two wires, so I’m assuming “range sensor” accounts for there being four?

The Red/LtBlue wires jump together at Connector 128.

The other two wires Purple/Orange & Bk/Pink are for your reverse lights.

8895698_orig.thumb.jpg.8a700913996ab61eddae533fd5fb396c.jpg

599709_orig.thumb.jpg.1d06cf363bdeaad44d52a3805f4ca99a.jpg

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Red/LtBlue wires jump together at Connector 128.

The other two wires Purple/Orange & Bk/Pink are for your reverse lights.

Thanks for the awesome responses!

I messed with that connection a bit and put it back together as best as I could for now and it’s cranking! Very weakly, but my battery is OLD…probably 7+ years old, and not the right battery, so I think I’m gonna go get me a blem battery from the local Interstate battery and we'll see if we can't get this thing running!

I know I still need to fix that connection better before it'll be reliable.

Thanks for the awesome responses!

I messed with that connection a bit and put it back together as best as I could for now and it’s cranking! Very weakly, but my battery is OLD…probably 7+ years old, and not the right battery, so I think I’m gonna go get me a blem battery from the local Interstate battery and we'll see if we can't get this thing running!

I know I still need to fix that connection better before it'll be reliable.

I'm glad I can help! :nabble_anim_handshake:

It's good to know you don't have a problem with the ignition switch or your starter relay. :nabble_smiley_good:

If you get a new battery it would probably be smart to check all the cables and connections for corrosion, especially the ground connection at the corner of the engine block

It's good to know you don't have a problem with the ignition switch or your starter relay. :nabble_smiley_good:

If you get a new battery it would probably be smart to check all the cables and connections for corrosion, especially the ground connection at the corner of the engine block

Definitely! I'll probably be replacing some of it. The ground cable to the battery is in awful shape, I haven't even looked at the other grounds yet.

Funny thing...This is the only V8 I've ever owned! I tell you it's a LOT different working on an 86 with a 351w than my 70 (Ole Blue) with a little 240. I'm not used to such a full engine bay! Of course this sits several inches higher too, so I'm standing on about a 10" wooden step that's usually in front of my shed door. 😂 With Ole Blue, I can stand on the ground while inside the engine bay!

106F1E3E-6949-4F82-8652-0E043F428775.jpeg.a40919a846cb77b52d879e35e4ecc475.jpeg

Definitely! I'll probably be replacing some of it. The ground cable to the battery is in awful shape, I haven't even looked at the other grounds yet.

Funny thing...This is the only V8 I've ever owned! I tell you it's a LOT different working on an 86 with a 351w than my 70 (Ole Blue) with a little 240. I'm not used to such a full engine bay! Of course this sits several inches higher too, so I'm standing on about a 10" wooden step that's usually in front of my shed door. 😂 With Ole Blue, I can stand on the ground while inside the engine bay!

😂 Plenty of room there!

(Of note. The ground cable has a little 'flag' that grounds the frame crossmember on its way to the block)

Genuine Motorcraft cables are stupid expensive and most of us just add a jumper from block to the bolt on the frame.

At least your 351 isn't wrapped in plastic shrouds and you don't have to remove the whole radiator support structure to change a belt.

You can see all the parts and identify what's broken.

You've got a good handle on this! :nabble_smiley_good:

Let us know how it runs when you get it started.

From the looks of things, the harness side of the connector just needs cleaned up, it’s the NSS side that’s in bad shape. I’m contemplating just replacing the NSS altogether and eliminate any issues from it. Looks like $30 and shipping will get me one from Rockauto. I’ve had good luck with stuff from Standard Motor Products (I run their points/condenser on my 70 F100). I need belts and hoses anyway so I may just get what I know needs replaced all at once. I guess it would behoove me to look at the brakes. Pretty sure the master cylinder is toast…it’s crusty.

please consider the motorcraft option if available. worth the extra bucks most of the time. consider the cost of a roadside repair or tow. in the rain. 100 miles from everywhere. on a sunday night!! with kids !!!

(Of note. The ground cable has a little 'flag' that grounds the frame crossmember on its way to the block)

Genuine Motorcraft cables are stupid expensive and most of us just add a jumper from block to the bolt on the frame.

Ok, I noticed this on Rock Auto so it looks like it may be a good option if it's the right length (listing says it's 40"). I'll have to take a good look on Thursday when I should have some time again.

34BDE32F-3727-4076-9B51-19685070D893.thumb.png.923ec9ef3e761d308d74ab16aeebb80f.png

At least your 351 isn't wrapped in plastic shrouds and you don't have to remove the whole radiator support structure to change a belt.

You can see all the parts and identify what's broken.

No doubt! The Hyundai Sonata we had required removing a huge plastic shroud under the engine to change the oil. And no points to jack it with a floor jack. 😳 We liked that car, but it wasn't designed for DIY repairs!

I'm an IT guy, and I specifically wanted SIMPLE, including a carb. The less technology the better when I'm on my time. Yeah...I note the irony as I type this with my iphone. 😂

You've got a good handle on this! :nabble_smiley_good:

Let us know how it runs when you get it started.

Thanks again! I'm just making it up as I go. 😁

please consider the motorcraft option if available. worth the extra bucks most of the time. consider the cost of a roadside repair or tow. in the rain. 100 miles from everywhere. on a sunday night!! with kids !!!

Duly noted! Rock Auto actually often has Motorcraft. I was able to get a case of Motorcraft Type F transmission fluid and some Mototcraft 85w/90 from them for my 70.

Short of that, I try to avoid no name brands and stick to those brands I've gotten good service from our have at least seen good reviews on. I tend to look for Standard Motor Products for electrical stuff as I've only heard positives on their stuff (it's the ONLY brand of points/condensers other than Motorcraft that a lot of guys with older trucks trust).

Duly noted! Rock Auto actually often has Motorcraft. I was able to get a case of Motorcraft Type F transmission fluid and some Mototcraft 85w/90 from them for my 70.

Short of that, I try to avoid no name brands and stick to those brands I've gotten good service from our have at least seen good reviews on. I tend to look for Standard Motor Products for electrical stuff as I've only heard positives on their stuff (it's the ONLY brand of points/condensers other than Motorcraft that a lot of guys with older trucks trust).

Larry is a runner!