Bullnose Forums

Larry the Lariat - My 86 F150 4x4

chirkware

Happy to finally pick up some tires. I'll have to get them mounted and a balanced. Found them in stock at a Walmart 18 miles away.

$80 for all terrain 235/75 R15's is a deal if they are as good as what everyone says. Made in USA.

Dextero All Terrain DAT1 P235/75R15 108S

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dextero-All-Terrain-DAT1-P235-75R15-108S/172840151

Wow! That's cheap! Let us know how you like them. :nabble_smiley_good:

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will do! I'm itching to finally drive this truck down the road! Just took my 70 for a spin Saturday after it was down for a couple of months, but it is BADLY needing some more surgery* that I can't do until the 86 is ready to take on TRUCK duties.

*Front end on the 70 is LOOSE...I can turn the steering wheel 30 degrees either way before it starts turning the truck!. Power Steering and Power Disk Brakes are coming soon I hope! All the bushings and such that are worn out/non-existent will finally get replaced.

Will do! I'm itching to finally drive this truck down the road! Just took my 70 for a spin Saturday after it was down for a couple of months, but it is BADLY needing some more surgery* that I can't do until the 86 is ready to take on TRUCK duties.

*Front end on the 70 is LOOSE...I can turn the steering wheel 30 degrees either way before it starts turning the truck!. Power Steering and Power Disk Brakes are coming soon I hope! All the bushings and such that are worn out/non-existent will finally get replaced.

This is mostly me just journaling my progress...

New caliper on driver's side, new hoses on both sides (Yugo had replaced passenger caliper 3-4 years ago, and had apparently installed new shoes, so I kept those). Driver's side line, fitting is just STUCK, I was afraid I was gonna break the line so I just turned the hose instead of the fitting to get old hose off and reversed that to go back on. Had to twist hard line a bit to get hose to line up in the bracket that one and only way it goes.

C962A37E-ABC8-4BFE-9D36-D68D0AED018D.jpeg.ed6e9cf148c0e0e0e4acd6fd8e1ff6e3.jpeg

E0949CCD-1978-40B1-B7A1-D7BDAED8D82B.jpeg.caa7e1c172773863ae3b191508c1cf89.jpeg

CDFA7B5C-154F-4DE9-86FA-56A699382123.jpeg.87b6a0f57dbb963bd61d5ae0d945d8fc.jpeg

This is mostly me just journaling my progress...

New caliper on driver's side, new hoses on both sides (Yugo had replaced passenger caliper 3-4 years ago, and had apparently installed new shoes, so I kept those). Driver's side line, fitting is just STUCK, I was afraid I was gonna break the line so I just turned the hose instead of the fitting to get old hose off and reversed that to go back on. Had to twist hard line a bit to get hose to line up in the bracket that one and only way it goes.

You will appreciate that you've kept track of what you've done. I've been going back through Big Blue's Transformation and picking out details in order to document what parts I used so my offspring can maintain it, and I have found detail after detail that I'd forgotten. So, keep it up! :nabble_smiley_good:

You will appreciate that you've kept track of what you've done. I've been going back through Big Blue's Transformation and picking out details in order to document what parts I used so my offspring can maintain it, and I have found detail after detail that I'd forgotten. So, keep it up! :nabble_smiley_good:

Time to start chasing electrical gremlins apparently.

Seems the wipers don't work and the horn don't blow. If a country song is in your head now, you'll be disappointed to know that there IS something wrong with the radio. 😂 Sorry Aaron Tippin!

Oh, and the blower motor on the AC does nothing.

Now that I type this, I can’t remember if I actually tested the horn. 🤨 EDIT: Ok, on lied. Turns out the horn works. 😂

Oh, the left turn signal is fine. If I push up and hold, so does the left. My headlights seem to work.

Time to start chasing electrical gremlins apparently.

Seems the wipers don't work and the horn don't blow. If a country song is in your head now, you'll be disappointed to know that there IS something wrong with the radio. 😂 Sorry Aaron Tippin!

Oh, and the blower motor on the AC does nothing.

Now that I type this, I can’t remember if I actually tested the horn. 🤨 EDIT: Ok, on lied. Turns out the horn works. 😂

Oh, the left turn signal is fine. If I push up and hold, so does the left. My headlights seem to work.

So you need a turn signal switch...

The blower and wipers are both 'key on' so you might check that that side of the fuse box is getting power.

The diagnostics in the EVTM can be helpful here.

If you have no 'high' on the blower it eliminates the resistor block but it could be the motor or the fuse.

Try powering the blower motor directly with jumpers.

So you need a turn signal switch...

The blower and wipers are both 'key on' so you might check that that side of the fuse box is getting power.

The diagnostics in the EVTM can be helpful here.

If you have no 'high' on the blower it eliminates the resistor block but it could be the motor or the fuse.

Try powering the blower motor directly with jumpers.

classic symptom of a failing ignition switch

classic symptom of a failing ignition switch

Thanks again guys! Looks like going to be ordering some electrical parts. Right now, I'm planning to order:

--Ignition Switch

--Blinker switch (with tilt steering version) [hoping maybe my stuck tilt feature is related to switch being bad?]

--Neutral Safety switch (I had forgotten I had issues with it a few pages back on this thread...good time to replace it while I'm eliminating gremlins)

While I'm here, I'll replace the:

--Steering column lock actuator (no idea of condition but I've got to tear into things, these are cheap, and apparently are a failure point)

I think I'm going to go ahead and order a new ignition key cylinder and door look cylinder kit. I don't have keys to my doors right now, and this kit on eBay supposedly fits 1986 and the three locks are ALL KEYED ALIKE! This is the ONLY kit I've found that are keyed alike, and it ships from GEORGIA, not CHINA! (OK, maybe THEY get it from China, who knows?)

Ford F Series Others Ignition & Door Lock Key Cylinder Tumbler Barrel Set 2 Keys

Thanks again guys! Looks like going to be ordering some electrical parts. Right now, I'm planning to order:

--Ignition Switch

--Blinker switch (with tilt steering version) [hoping maybe my stuck tilt feature is related to switch being bad?]

--Neutral Safety switch (I had forgotten I had issues with it a few pages back on this thread...good time to replace it while I'm eliminating gremlins)

While I'm here, I'll replace the:

--Steering column lock actuator (no idea of condition but I've got to tear into things, these are cheap, and apparently are a failure point)

I think I'm going to go ahead and order a new ignition key cylinder and door look cylinder kit. I don't have keys to my doors right now, and this kit on eBay supposedly fits 1986 and the three locks are ALL KEYED ALIKE! This is the ONLY kit I've found that are keyed alike, and it ships from GEORGIA, not CHINA! (OK, maybe THEY get it from China, who knows?)

Ford F Series Others Ignition & Door Lock Key Cylinder Tumbler Barrel Set 2 Keys

Some videos I found that I think are gonna help: