Bullnose Forums

Larry the Lariat - My 86 F150 4x4

chirkware

I have done pin repair on a few. one of the weak points is the cast alloy housing. the shift lever is held into it with a roll pin/tension pin. it is tight in the lever the same way a wrist pin is tight on a connecting rod and so it pivots in the cast. that wears out the casting. I have been able to drill this assembly out to receive a larger pin and this also gives more bearing surface. On the last one I tried I could not get the lever to drill so I went another route and so far, it seems ideal, if not a little bulky. I tried it on an unrestored truck so not as finished as needed on a pure truck. I chose a machine screw that fit the lever snug then fit two 1/4" long sections of 1/4" copper tubing. then drilled the cast housing out to 1/4". the copper bushes now fit into the casting just a bit proud of flush and the machine screw/ nut will compress the bushings into place butting into the lever. now the copper is the bearing surface. the bonus here is that it can be tightened as needed in the future. use a nylock nut and no issues of loosening.

That’s an interesting solution. Should work well. :nabble_smiley_good:

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s an interesting solution. Should work well. :nabble_smiley_good:

No intermittent wipers???

An 86 XLT Lariat, the wiper switch doesn't seem to have intermittent wipers. But someone apparently was trying to get to intermittent by forcing tht knob counter clockwise until it got loose.

It clicks clockwise twice. Try to go counter clockwise from off and nothing happens. Force it and it just loosens the nut holding the switch to the dash. It acts just like the non-intermittent switch that my 70 had until, ironically, I swapped in an intermittent wipervswitch that was pulled off an 86.

Only thing I can higher l figure is someone swapped an older switch in for some odd reason. Maybe they got the wrong one from the parts store and didn't realize until they had the dash back together.

No intermittent wipers???

An 86 XLT Lariat, the wiper switch doesn't seem to have intermittent wipers. But someone apparently was trying to get to intermittent by forcing tht knob counter clockwise until it got loose.

It clicks clockwise twice. Try to go counter clockwise from off and nothing happens. Force it and it just loosens the nut holding the switch to the dash. It acts just like the non-intermittent switch that my 70 had until, ironically, I swapped in an intermittent wipervswitch that was pulled off an 86.

Only thing I can higher l figure is someone swapped an older switch in for some odd reason. Maybe they got the wrong one from the parts store and didn't realize until they had the dash back together.

I don't think delay wipers were part of the XLT Lariat package.

1986-ford-f-series-pickup-13.thumb.jpg.ffc91faec22eaf599ae71e166760c308.jpg

I guess I mistakingly assumed delay wipers were either standard by 86, or would at least be in the higher trim level trucks. Wasn't the XLT Lariat the "top of the line"?

I guess I'll be looking for a switch to swap in. Presumably, if it isn't a delay switch, that means there probably isn't a control module either. I'll have to dig further to figure out for sure.

I can't stand not having intermittent wipers. Too many light drizzles around here.

Well, they may have been an option. Darth as delivered was an F350 XL and had intermittent wipers. The parts truck was a 1990 F250 XLT and also had intermittent wipers.

To convert, switch and a governor box from a truck with intermittent wipers are needed, other than adding a ground it is plug and play.

I guess I mistakingly assumed delay wipers were either standard by 86, or would at least be in the higher trim level trucks. Wasn't the XLT Lariat the "top of the line"?

I guess I'll be looking for a switch to swap in. Presumably, if it isn't a delay switch, that means there probably isn't a control module either. I'll have to dig further to figure out for sure.

I can't stand not having intermittent wipers. Too many light drizzles around here.

Well this is one way to disable emissions. They just busted the emissions light bulb. 😂

58AAFFBB-5FF8-4DCA-A91D-CA6B4A336A82.jpeg.4f76b43b6487aa81e162b80ac7bcfb72.jpeg

I have a lowly 'Custom' and it came with intermittent wipers...

When I see people post about retrofitting them people say to get the governor and switch from a Bronco.

Perhaps intermittent wipers were standard on the FSB?

Depending on which engine you have, that ewissions light could just be for the inferred mileage sensor.

This is like an hour meter that reminds you to have the emissions system checked (A.I.R. pumps, thermactor valves, catalytic converter)

There's a box up under the dash with a seal on one corner. You poke a paperclip into the hole under the seal and turn the key to run. After a couple of seconds the light goes out for the next XXX (I'm not sure if it works on key cycles or time)

My box is on a bracket next to the door/lights on buzzer back by the radio. I don't know if this changed '86-'87.

Well this is one way to disable emissions. They just busted the emissions light bulb. 😂

I just ordered a delay wiper switch/harness of eBay from and 87-91. I'm not picky on too many things but I insist on my wipers bring very adjustable. Ironically, rain washed out my evening so I didn't get much done.

I have a lowly 'Custom' and it came with intermittent wipers...

When I see people post about retrofitting them people say to get the governor and switch from a Bronco.

Perhaps intermittent wipers were standard on the FSB?

Depending on which engine you have, that ewissions light could just be for the inferred mileage sensor.

This is like an hour meter that reminds you to have the emissions system checked (A.I.R. pumps, thermactor valves, catalytic converter)

There's a box up under the dash with a seal on one corner. You poke a paperclip into the hole under the seal and turn the key to run. After a couple of seconds the light goes out for the next XXX (I'm not sure if it works on key cycles or time)

My box is on a bracket next to the door/lights on buzzer back by the radio. I don't know if this changed '86-'87.

Jim - You are right! In '85 Broncos had interval wipers, as shown below.

But they also had full instrumentation, which the pickups didn't get until '86. So I did a bit more looking and full instrumentation became standard on the Broncos in '84.

And, I caught that - ewissions. :nabble_smiley_wink:

1985_Bronco_Trim.thumb.jpg.968a4410466b58feaf2390a13b5f82a5.jpg

Jim - You are right! In '85 Broncos had interval wipers, as shown below.

But they also had full instrumentation, which the pickups didn't get until '86. So I did a bit more looking and full instrumentation became standard on the Broncos in '84.

And, I caught that - ewissions. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Happy to finally pick up some tires. I'll have to get them mounted and a balanced. Found them in stock at a Walmart 18 miles away.

$80 for all terrain 235/75 R15's is a deal if they are as good as what everyone says. Made in USA.

1CF23691-6A42-4DD7-B364-F84087F4D2C5.jpeg.9a6cd446d45c8031c5329e7872f4b6c8.jpeg

Dextero All Terrain DAT1 P235/75R15 108S

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dextero-All-Terrain-DAT1-P235-75R15-108S/172840151