Bullnose Forums

Larry the Lariat - My 86 F150 4x4

chirkware

Ahh, so that’s why the tanks changed in 85! Also explains why the different application is harder to find. Five model year parts (80-84) vs two (85-86).

Imagine you were me with the one year wonder! :nabble_anim_confused:

A mechanical pump in '87 that only came with a very few 460 and H.O. trucks.

I have a two pin connector, feed and return, but the inverted 16-160 ohm senders that work with a bricknose fuel gauge.

Water temp and oil pressure senders are still the same as the Bullnose trucks, mind you.. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Oof! Sounds like the horror stories about all the one year only stuff on the 1967 Bumpsides!

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, so that’s why the tanks changed in 85! Also explains why the different application is harder to find. Five model year parts (80-84) vs two (85-86).

Imagine you were me with the one year wonder! :nabble_anim_confused:

A mechanical pump in '87 that only came with a very few 460 and H.O. trucks.

I have a two pin connector, feed and return, but the inverted 16-160 ohm senders that work with a bricknose fuel gauge.

Water temp and oil pressure senders are still the same as the Bullnose trucks, mind you.. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Oof! Sounds like the horror stories about all the one year only stuff on the 1967 Bumpsides!

(EDIT: LMC hose WAS correct length, no mods necessary.)

I think I'll just cut the short hose that's already on it's way and add a piece of this aluminum pipe I lucked into finding among my junk to lengthen it.

0FE49DE5-3015-449E-BC48-C7131D19F0B8.jpeg.956d4190c2860388a0d8c294f146563a.jpeg

1 7/8" OD is just over what the filler neck measures so I'm hopeful this should be a tight fit in the hose. It’s aluminum, so I shouldn’t have any issues with it rusting.

(EDIT: LMC hose WAS correct length, no mods necessary.)

I think I'll just cut the short hose that's already on it's way and add a piece of this aluminum pipe I lucked into finding among my junk to lengthen it.

1 7/8" OD is just over what the filler neck measures so I'm hopeful this should be a tight fit in the hose. It’s aluminum, so I shouldn’t have any issues with it rusting.

as long as it does not leak I cannot see a problem. debur the edges real well so that it wont scratch a leak into the rubber.

as long as it does not leak I cannot see a problem. debur the edges real well so that it wont scratch a leak into the rubber.

Yep, that I'll definitely do. I'll probably push 2" of pipe in and use two stainless hose clamps on each end. Hmm...I better check to see how many of those I have left! I just went from needing two to needing six! 😖😂

Yep, that I'll definitely do. I'll probably push 2" of pipe in and use two stainless hose clamps on each end. Hmm...I better check to see how many of those I have left! I just went from needing two to needing six! 😖😂

New gas tank...I did NOT get the Spectra Premium. Instead, I got the LILAND GLOBAL IF6B. I decided to go with it because it said it was made of galvanized steel, and was powder coated. And it was cheaper. $133.62 including shipping and 9.25% sales tax (yeah, sales tax is high in TN, but no state income tax!)

I'm not disappointed.

D1CE198A-0D4F-4B21-8FB9-D2943D361849.jpeg.1a8e2d73c731777899d112a560bf240d.jpeg

56D1EB81-8558-492B-94EF-0B5B195F60FA.jpeg.36265efe4440030dcae5cea2cd1f746f.jpeg

301DD072-E13A-41A9-A3DF-1A38F3788F6A.jpeg.16bbd34cca3dd7e64e9ecf9d91bca5ae.jpeg

New gas tank...I did NOT get the Spectra Premium. Instead, I got the LILAND GLOBAL IF6B. I decided to go with it because it said it was made of galvanized steel, and was powder coated. And it was cheaper. $133.62 including shipping and 9.25% sales tax (yeah, sales tax is high in TN, but no state income tax!)

I'm not disappointed.

Did it come with new straps?

What will you use as an insulator under the bands?

I have had good results using a tape that was sold for sealing up windows. insulwrap I think was the name. no magic involved. I had a roll from a job in the van so I used it. it is a thin adhesive rubber based tape with a pale branded label. it fit the job so perfectly that I keep a roll just for this purpose. im sure that i got it at a window supplier but you may find something like it at the local big box home center too.

I have had good results using a tape that was sold for sealing up windows. insulwrap I think was the name. no magic involved. I had a roll from a job in the van so I used it. it is a thin adhesive rubber based tape with a pale branded label. it fit the job so perfectly that I keep a roll just for this purpose. im sure that i got it at a window supplier but you may find something like it at the local big box home center too.

just a tip. I tape the tank side of the straps and flush trim it. it is always where it's needed that way. and I think it looks better than putting a wider band on the tank trying to guess exactly where the straps will land.

It did not include straps, but mine were in good shape so I just reused them. LMC Truck has straps if needed and they aren't very expensive.

I cut pieces of roofing felt and doubled it up to replace the old insulators at the back, just reused the front ones as they seemed ok.

8D2BA22F-0687-4556-9CF6-50030CCDD325.jpeg.749b2599f9431cbda3a91e6295439837.jpeg

I was wrong about the LMC hose. IT IS THE CORRECT SIZE. A perfect fit. And it was $20 from them.

B08C1133-6EE6-47C6-AA18-6F389B38DF27.jpeg.09d43704c4668f1459dda545ed034dd5.jpeg

The sending unit was also a perfect replacement.

B581CB78-5DDA-4688-A582-C298BAA7BAE2.jpeg.a7665cf545ae043d9bbbdf03bfbbf777.jpeg

Vent and grommet from LMC was perfect too. I picked up 2' of 3/16" fuel hose to replace the rotted vent hose.

3B0E88A6-2EF8-4262-B6D4-C5897ADB7D1D.jpeg.25fc77eec0a0589eff66270df2f0dd97.jpeg

Tank is in now! Yay!

About the time I was gonna put gas in, I went to clean up after dropping the transmission pan on my 70. I had it all back together and then saw a spring sitting on the catch pan. Doh! So I dropped the pan, pulled the filter loose, and put the spring where it was supposed to be. SO GLAD I saw it. 😳 I was much faster the second time into that C4.

It did not include straps, but mine were in good shape so I just reused them. LMC Truck has straps if needed and they aren't very expensive.

I cut pieces of roofing felt and doubled it up to replace the old insulators at the back, just reused the front ones as they seemed ok.

I was wrong about the LMC hose. IT IS THE CORRECT SIZE. A perfect fit. And it was $20 from them.

The sending unit was also a perfect replacement.

Vent and grommet from LMC was perfect too. I picked up 2' of 3/16" fuel hose to replace the rotted vent hose.

Tank is in now! Yay!

About the time I was gonna put gas in, I went to clean up after dropping the transmission pan on my 70. I had it all back together and then saw a spring sitting on the catch pan. Doh! So I dropped the pan, pulled the filter loose, and put the spring where it was supposed to be. SO GLAD I saw it. 😳 I was much faster the second time into that C4.

Looks like a major upgrade all around!

So glad that you got the right fill hose. :nabble_anim_jump: