Bullnose Forums

Larry the Lariat - My 86 F150 4x4

chirkware

Tanks from 1985- have the larger tank bung because that was the first year for in-tank pumps.

Terribly sorry for the wrong information.

https://eclassics.com/eclassics-1985-1986-ford-f-150-stainless-steel-fuel-sending-unit-non-efi-3-8-for-midship-19-gallon-tank/

Ahh, so that’s why the tanks changed in 85! Also explains why the different application is harder to find. Five model year parts (80-84) vs two (85-86).

I guess I could just order the older tank and sending unit (cheaper and easier to find) since I’m running a carb setup, but that would just make things confusing in the future, and handcuff me if I ever decided to go EFI.

Thanks for that link. That looks like the right part (exit…just noticed it’s stainless, nice!). Check out this lovely thing:

A29A629C-F24A-40F9-AC72-A2F2CA18B381.jpeg.c0029e0da92f644100ef77ffc9a903b2.jpeg

I can only assume there are little bits of float down in that sixteen year old gas.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tanks from 1985- have the larger tank bung because that was the first year for in-tank pumps.

Terribly sorry for the wrong information.

https://eclassics.com/eclassics-1985-1986-ford-f-150-stainless-steel-fuel-sending-unit-non-efi-3-8-for-midship-19-gallon-tank/

Ahh, so that’s why the tanks changed in 85! Also explains why the different application is harder to find. Five model year parts (80-84) vs two (85-86).

I guess I could just order the older tank and sending unit (cheaper and easier to find) since I’m running a carb setup, but that would just make things confusing in the future, and handcuff me if I ever decided to go EFI.

Thanks for that link. That looks like the right part (exit…just noticed it’s stainless, nice!). Check out this lovely thing:

I can only assume there are little bits of float down in that sixteen year old gas.

Alright, orders placed...

eClassics...Sending unit ArdWrknTrk linked

RockAuto...gas tank:

LILAND GLOBAL IF6B @ $133.62 after shipping, tax, and 5% off code.

LMC Truck...

Filler Hose

Vent Valve/Seal

(Not a fan of LMC Truck but they had decent prices on this stuff)

I'm HOPING the filler hose will be the right length, but I fear it will be short as most places I looked had a 17.xx" long hose specified. The extant hose is over 21". I read that some cut the hose and added some hard pipe at the cut to make up the short pipe length. Seems to be another harder part for an 85-86 vs 80-84. (EDIT: LMC hose WAS correct length, no mods necessary.)

Oh, and I ordered myself one of these as I'm sick of my underpowered Walmart special Campbell Hausfield impact wrench (I had to resort to a breaker bar with cheater pipe to get the wheels off as my junk impact wrench couldn't do it):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18V-Brushless-Cordless-4-Mode-1-2-in-High-Torque-Impact-Wrench-with-2-4-0-Ah-Batteries-Charger-and-Bag-R86212B-AC93044SBN/323202880

I went with Ridgid as I already have an investment in their tools/batteries, and the lifetime warranty is nice to have. :)

RockAuto...gas tank:

LMC Truck...

Filler Hose

Vent Valve/Seal

I'm HOPING the filler hose will be the right length, but I fear it will be short as most places I looked had a 17.xx" long hose specified. The extant hose is over 21". I read that some cut the hose and added some hard pipe at the cut to make up the short pipe length. Seems to be another harder part for an 85-86 vs 80-84. (EDIT: LMC hose WAS correct length, no mods necessary.)

Oh, and I ordered myself one of these as I'm sick of my underpowered Walmart special Campbell Hausfield impact wrench (I had to resort to a breaker bar with cheater pipe to get the wheels off as my junk impact wrench couldn't do it):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18V-Brushless-Cordless-4-Mode-1-2-in-High-Torque-Impact-Wrench-with-2-4-0-Ah-Batteries-Charger-and-Bag-R86212B-AC93044SBN/323202880

I went with Ridgid as I already have an investment in their tools/batteries, and the lifetime warranty is nice to have. :)

You are going to LOVE that impact! That's the one I have and it will do just about everything I need to do. Every once in a while I have to break out the air one, but that's rare.

And yes, the larger opening to allow the fuel pump to go in is why the tanks are different.

You are going to LOVE that impact! That's the one I have and it will do just about everything I need to do. Every once in a while I have to break out the air one, but that's rare.

And yes, the larger opening to allow the fuel pump to go in is why the tanks are different.

I decided I wanted the cordless impact for the occasional junk yard run, or the occasional junk truck acquisition. My compressor is fairly small (23 gallon I think), so I don't think it can drive a very good impact anyway.

Once I have Larry ready to go, I have THREE old trucks to go pick up...a 71, a 76, and a 78. All three at basically scrap price. The seller (he bought the 71 new) is going to keep the FE out of the 76, but the 71 and 78 will both have 351w's in them and basically be complete (albeit in various stages of issues). I should get titles to at least the 71 and 78, hopefully for all three.

I'll probably try to get the 71 running and flip it (may rob a few things though for my 70). The 78 will be a part out (may use the front suspension and TILT steering column on my 70). Not sure yet what I'll do with the 76. If I get the title, I may try to make it a runner (I think I know where I can get an FE to drop in it) and sell it.

I'm hoping to make enough off these three trucks to get back what I've invested in Larry...If my wife doesn't kill me first! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Imagine you were me with the one year wonder! :nabble_anim_confused:

A mechanical pump in '87 that only came with a very few 460 and H.O. trucks.

I have a two pin connector, feed and return, but the inverted 16-160 ohm senders that work with a bricknose fuel gauge.

Water temp and oil pressure senders are still the same as the Bullnose trucks, mind you.. :nabble_anim_crazy:

RockAuto...gas tank:

LMC Truck...

Filler Hose

Vent Valve/Seal

unfortunately, I expect you are going to receive the shorter hose. i have been running into this for a couple years now. for some reason the suppliers have decided that the same hose fits 80-96 but it is simply not true! the newer beginning in 87 I believe, uses a different fill tube mounted to the body and is longer requiring a shorter fill hose. it's about 4" shorter.

unfortunately, I expect you are going to receive the shorter hose. i have been running into this for a couple years now. for some reason the suppliers have decided that the same hose fits 80-96 but it is simply not true! the newer beginning in 87 I believe, uses a different fill tube mounted to the body and is longer requiring a shorter fill hose. it's about 4" shorter.

That’s what I’m afraid of too! Have you found any solution to this? I read where one person cut the short hose in the middle and added a piece of pipe, but I really don’t like that idea. I suppose if I had access to a bricknose donor, I could just steal the longer fill tube.

That’s what I’m afraid of too! Have you found any solution to this? I read where one person cut the short hose in the middle and added a piece of pipe, but I really don’t like that idea. I suppose if I had access to a bricknose donor, I could just steal the longer fill tube.

unfortunately, that does not work either. the fill tube (filler neck assembly) is different in other ways also. the flange that mounts the filler neck to the fuel door box assembly on the bullnose is square to the pipe yet the later version which mounts to a steel box welded to the bedside is at an angle. finding the correct part is key unless you have one custom made.

unfortunately, that does not work either. the fill tube (filler neck assembly) is different in other ways also. the flange that mounts the filler neck to the fuel door box assembly on the bullnose is square to the pipe yet the later version which mounts to a steel box welded to the bedside is at an angle. finding the correct part is key unless you have one custom made.

This seems like the best source so far:

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/1980-1986-ford-f-series-outer-fuel-filler-hose-standard-bed-front-tank/

Gonna be about $70 by the time it's shipped. That's an expensive hose!

The LMC one I ordered IS going to be wrong. Their website shows the application being 1980-1996 F-Series and Bronco. I called to try to cancel the order (I explained the issue to them) but they said it already shipped. They told me to refuse the delivery and I won't get charged. 🤔 I'll believe it when I see it!

(EDIT: I was wrong, and I admit it! LMC hose WAS correct length, no mods necessary. Since they list the hose as being for 1980-1996, this means it is TOO LONG for the later application, but NOT too short for 80-86.)

This seems like the best source so far:

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/1980-1986-ford-f-series-outer-fuel-filler-hose-standard-bed-front-tank/

Gonna be about $70 by the time it's shipped. That's an expensive hose!

The LMC one I ordered IS going to be wrong. Their website shows the application being 1980-1996 F-Series and Bronco. I called to try to cancel the order (I explained the issue to them) but they said it already shipped. They told me to refuse the delivery and I won't get charged. 🤔 I'll believe it when I see it!

(EDIT: I was wrong, and I admit it! LMC hose WAS correct length, no mods necessary. Since they list the hose as being for 1980-1996, this means it is TOO LONG for the later application, but NOT too short for 80-86.)

In other news...WOW! This thing is a HOSS! I'd hate to have to use it all day (it is HEAVY) but man it makes quick work of things!

D9169E5E-B3E3-4AC5-BCC9-7F17540471B0.thumb.jpeg.53b292de4e9835ad1c25e8ad0aece607.jpeg