Bullnose Forums

Larry the Lariat - My 86 F150 4x4

chirkware

I had the same experience on one of the trucks, Dad's I think. Not only was the tire rotten and badly indented, but the center bolt holding the spare on was seized and it would have been almost impossible to have gotten it off on the side of the road.

Hope you can get all of them in the Subie. :nabble_smiley_good:

Well looks like I’ll be ordering a new tank for Larry. Lots of pitted metal, and when I tipped it up on its side I discovered a nice little leak. Bummer!

CAF20E3E-A06C-4A84-8CDD-DF3A2902F892.jpeg.d7e75acba55c8f3e8a9dc17067666f25.jpeg

A123852C-3381-43DC-87B2-8BD83A7D4893.jpeg.caa11d89dbde6e7050e451f83ba61fa7.jpeg

Not too big a deal I guess just hoping I’d get lucky and the tank would be good. Not only is it bad, it feels like it might have 8-10 gallons of really ripe nasty old gas I’ll have to get rid of.

This looks to be the correct tank at a good price:

Spectra Fuel Tank F6B https://a.co/d/dpzPWSa

I guess I’ll get a new sending unit too. Haven’t figured that part number out yet.

Also, I guess I need to get under there and figure out where this vent tube (I assume that is what it is) goes to. I wonder if it’s to all that emissions stuff up front someone mostly ripped out?

2DD31F8E-94B5-40BC-9ABF-12A230394927.jpeg.9bdc267052c05320987de39c24bb4049.jpeg

In other news, I’ve just been working on brakes. Rears are done other than bleeding them, and the fronts don’t look too bad. I may just replace the front hoses, bleed them, and see how they do on the road.

Planning to finally register Larry on Monday. I think the last registration expired in 2006.

I ordered tires from the local Walmart last week, then got a notification that they canceled the order because the tires were out of stock. Doh! Their website shows a store in the next town has those tires, so I may just drive over there tomorrow evening and buy them, then take them to our local store to have them mounted and balanced.

6F8F2C3D-8D70-4CFA-A9B8-701DA0A28F0C.jpeg.22c35af7be7bb799024bbe2aea1660f1.jpeg

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I guess I need to get under there and figure out where this vent tube (I assume that is what it is) goes to. I wonder if it’s to all that emissions stuff up front someone mostly ripped out?

That should go to vapor canister in the front-passenger side of the engine bay. On my truck, it connects to a 3/16" steel tube that runs from front-to-back on the passenger side frame rail.

That should go to vapor canister in the front-passenger side of the engine bay. On my truck, it connects to a 3/16" steel tube that runs from front-to-back on the passenger side frame rail.

Ahh! That’s what that 3/16” line is I was staring at earlier on the outside of the passenger frame rail. I didn’t trace it all the way but I couldn’t figure out why there would be a brake line on the passenger side going to the back.

Thanks! That’s got to be it. The hose is pretty rotted it looks like. I guess pretty much any 3/16 hose should work, or does it need to be fuel compatible?

Ahh! That’s what that 3/16” line is I was staring at earlier on the outside of the passenger frame rail. I didn’t trace it all the way but I couldn’t figure out why there would be a brake line on the passenger side going to the back.

Thanks! That’s got to be it. The hose is pretty rotted it looks like. I guess pretty much any 3/16 hose should work, or does it need to be fuel compatible?

I would get a fuel line. I ordered this one from Amazon and it worked. BUT, a year later I discovered that it was very hard. Still working, but HARD. So it might not be the best one to get.

I would get a fuel line. I ordered this one from Amazon and it worked. BUT, a year later I discovered that it was very hard. Still working, but HARD. So it might not be the best one to get.

Ia the line flexible all the way up to the front? I was really surprised to see that blue stuff (I’m used to my older truck having mostly steel with just a bit of rubber). Took me a good bit to figure out how to get that fitting loose from the tank.

I’ve had no luck so far looking for a sending unit. Only one I’ve found has a four pin electrical connection. I’m guessing that’s possibly for fuel injected applications (has two fuel connections, I’m guessing second is a return line).

Ia the line flexible all the way up to the front? I was really surprised to see that blue stuff (I’m used to my older truck having mostly steel with just a bit of rubber). Took me a good bit to figure out how to get that fitting loose from the tank.

I’ve had no luck so far looking for a sending unit. Only one I’ve found has a four pin electrical connection. I’m guessing that’s possibly for fuel injected applications (has two fuel connections, I’m guessing second is a return line).

No, I think all of the trucks had metal vent lines with just a bit of rubber at the front and rear.

On the sending unit, there were several. There was the one you've found with the pump and a return line, and a 4-pin connector. And there's the one you want with no pump and a 2-pin connector. But there was also the 17 gallon or the 19 gallon tank and they take a different sending unit.

4887184.thumb.jpg.1fc7574be447c070e7ff44ae74ff67ea.jpg

No, I think all of the trucks had metal vent lines with just a bit of rubber at the front and rear.

On the sending unit, there were several. There was the one you've found with the pump and a return line, and a 4-pin connector. And there's the one you want with no pump and a 2-pin connector. But there was also the 17 gallon or the 19 gallon tank and they take a different sending unit.

Thanks Gary!

Looks like E5TZ-9275-G is what I need to find. I’ll do some searching using that part number.

There's this from eClassics

Also Spectra FE74A and Dorman 692118

Thanks, but my truck is an 86. Those show as being for 80-84. The parts look the same to me, but show as being not compatible. Wish I knew what was different. 80-84 seems easier to source.

Edit: I am very wrong! :nabble_smiley_blush:

Tanks from 1985- have the larger tank bung because that was the first year for in-tank pumps.

Terribly sorry for the wrong information.

https://eclassics.com/eclassics-1985-1986-ford-f-150-stainless-steel-fuel-sending-unit-non-efi-3-8-for-midship-19-gallon-tank/