Bullnose Forums

Larry the Lariat - My 86 F150 4x4

chirkware

Go to The Big box store

Get yourself a piece of black iron pipe that fits over the axle.

Set the flange on a chunk of wood on the floor, axle up.

Bearing over axle, pipe on top of bearing.

How big a hammer do you have? 🤔

I've cut a piece of pipe already. On the hammer thing... One that's not big enough I'm sure. I've got a slide hammer here I may try to rig for this.

I'm shooting a video. It may end up in the "Comedy" category. 😁

If you think you can do the 'slide hammer' thing, just get a plate weight and the lock collars from a barbell.

That should work..

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think you can do the 'slide hammer' thing, just get a plate weight and the lock collars from a barbell.

That should work..

Hey, I like that idea! Not like I'm using my barbells for what they are designed for. 😂

That should work..

Hey, I like that idea! Not like I'm using my barbells for what they are designed for. 😂

Lock one collar above the other, as tight as you can. (for backup)

Use a pretty big weight with little taps.

It's pretty easy to stand there and hit it if the collars are about crotch high.

Lock one collar above the other, as tight as you can. (for backup)

Use a pretty big weight with little taps.

It's pretty easy to stand there and hit it if the collars are about crotch high.

any chance that you have access to an acetylene torch? mapp gas even. heat the collar as hot as possible and it will go much easier.

any chance that you have access to an acetylene torch? mapp gas even. heat the collar as hot as possible and it will go much easier.

I managed to get the bearing about halfway but then it wouldn’t budge any further. Finally took it over to a friends shop and in five minutes with a 20 ton press it was good! I’ve got the axle back in and now I’m up under Larry sucking out the old diff fluid getting ready to put fresh fluid in. D80DDE98-B70F-44DA-9AF3-D7EB8B1AC87B.jpeg.b3c10b8b46e6623ca1bf507e42bcaee2.jpeg

I managed to get the bearing about halfway but then it wouldn’t budge any further. Finally took it over to a friends shop and in five minutes with a 20 ton press it was good! I’ve got the axle back in and now I’m up under Larry sucking out the old diff fluid getting ready to put fresh fluid in.

👍👍👍

What are friends for?!?!

I managed to get the bearing about halfway but then it wouldn’t budge any further. Finally took it over to a friends shop and in five minutes with a 20 ton press it was good! I’ve got the axle back in and now I’m up under Larry sucking out the old diff fluid getting ready to put fresh fluid in.

Excellent! Yes, a press is a huge help on the rear axles.

👍👍👍

What are friends for?!?!

He and his son were working at his shop, so I came by with some NICE bacon cheeseburgers I made and some chips. We sat down to a nice lunch and then we went out to the shop and took care of my pressing issue! 😁

This:

FD551998-E19D-49CB-A66F-6CF61902A707.jpeg.73ff9c34ab620dde2be69215305de223.jpeg

Much more effective than this:

2939BD2A-83B7-4215-A791-9855DF871F3B.thumb.jpeg.288974d77fe5e57ecded3985e5c92a56.jpeg

😂

👍👍👍

What are friends for?!?!

He and his son were working at his shop, so I came by with some NICE bacon cheeseburgers I made and some chips. We sat down to a nice lunch and then we went out to the shop and took care of my pressing issue! 😁

This:

😂

This is what used to be the 'six pack solution'. 😂😇

👍👍👍

What are friends for?!?!

This:

😂

"Pressing issue". :nabble_smiley_good: