Bullnose Forums

c4 to aod swap

vicp21

I think the only way to convert your 9" to the smaller bolt pattern would be to find another whole rear diff out of a 1980-1982 with that small pattern.

......unless there is a cheap way to switch the 9” to the bigger pattern.

I'm pretty sure vicp21 is asking how to swap their small pattern 9" to 5 on 5.5 to match the front hubs and turbine wheels.

A pair of 9" axles can be had for as little as $250, but I don't know the length or how many splines on the inboard end.

I'm pretty sure vicp21 is asking how to swap their small pattern 9" to 5 on 5.5 to match the front hubs and turbine wheels.

A pair of 9" axles can be had for as little as $250, but I don't know the length or how many splines on the inboard end.

DOH...my bad...I misread that or misunderstood it, or both lol.

I think the only way to convert your 9" to the smaller bolt pattern would be to find another whole rear diff out of a 1980-1982 with that small pattern.

Correct! Yes it has power brakes and originally was the small pattern and a c6 according to the tag, but the city of Dearborn made some changes at some point on its life. I’ll have to check both axle and see what I’m dealing with. I would need shafts and drums from a dentside f150 to keep the current axle and gear ratio. I doubt the 8.8 is going to have anything taller than 3.55 in it which will make that thing scream going 65

Correct! Yes it has power brakes and originally was the small pattern and a c6 according to the tag, but the city of Dearborn made some changes at some point on its life. I’ll have to check both axle and see what I’m dealing with. I would need shafts and drums from a dentside f150 to keep the current axle and gear ratio. I doubt the 8.8 is going to have anything taller than 3.55 in it which will make that thing scream going 65

So you already have a 2.79 gear in a 9" and and just need axles with bigger flanges and brakes. EDIT: Sorry it was Mat who mentioned the short gear..... :nabble_smiley_blush:

This can be arranged not too expensively but the axle length and spline count needs to be known.

So you already have a 2.79 gear in a 9" and and just need axles with bigger flanges and brakes. EDIT: Sorry it was Mat who mentioned the short gear..... :nabble_smiley_blush:

This can be arranged not too expensively but the axle length and spline count needs to be known.

if we were talking about a five-speed manual with od then there is just the matter of torque at a certain rpm for the gear and speed. but we are not. we are considering an aod automatic. this requires a certain amount of rpm to actually pump the fluid which it needs to operate correctly. keep in mind the analogy of filling up a bucket which has a hole in it. the pump must not only build pressure but do it at an increasing rate as rpm increasing all while a designed amount of pressure and flow are being lost through the process. this is something that rears its head when tv cables are misadjusted. valve bodies do NOT seal perfectly everywhere. they direct the volume of fluid flow in a variable manner. all this to say if the pump is not turning enough then pressure may be lower than needed.