Bullnose Forums

LS-Headed 300?

Gary Lewis

I've heard of it, but not read this article.

Let's not forget the Frenchtown Flyer and his prototype crossflow cast iron headed dragsters, or the Aussie Barra inline sixes pumping out over 1,000 hp with forced induction.

The perfect primary balance of an I-6 has advantages.

There you go....

A YouTube rabbit hole that's going to take a couple of hours! 😂

This was a great comment in the article LOL:

"This may shock you, but nobody makes an off-the-shelf header for this six-cylinder LS head."

I love the 300/4.9L engine and have enjoyed reading about and having the pleasure of driving 4 vehicles powered by it. Yes, it can be made to have respectable power if one is willing to spend the money which often times is more than for building up a V8.

One article I read many years ago described how what is often seen as limiting the power output really is desirable when left stock if the owner is satisfied with the stock performance. That is to say that the stock log intake and exhaust manifolds, which by performance standards are terrible, greatly contribute to the diesel like flat torque band characteristics. The unequal length runners and small carburetor contribute to the maximum torque being developed at a very low 1600-1800 RPMs. The horsepower is low but the torque is very good for this sized engine.

A little bit of trivia: The 302/5.0L engine was never offered in any truck beyond the F250, but the 300/4.9L engine was standard equipment in the F600.

I love the 300/4.9L engine and have enjoyed reading about and having the pleasure of driving 4 vehicles powered by it. Yes, it can be made to have respectable power if one is willing to spend the money which often times is more than for building up a V8.

One article I read many years ago described how what is often seen as limiting the power output really is desirable when left stock if the owner is satisfied with the stock performance. That is to say that the stock log intake and exhaust manifolds, which by performance standards are terrible, greatly contribute to the diesel like flat torque band characteristics. The unequal length runners and small carburetor contribute to the maximum torque being developed at a very low 1600-1800 RPMs. The horsepower is low but the torque is very good for this sized engine.

A little bit of trivia: The 302/5.0L engine was never offered in any truck beyond the F250, but the 300/4.9L engine was standard equipment in the F600.

excellent point about the 4.9 being offered in a great variety of trucks and lets not forget the industrial applications. the 5.0 does give far greater bang for the buck when it comes to one type of performance while the 300/6 gives a different type of performance. different but equal! engines should be chosen/ built per their intended use.