Bullnose Forums

Rear sliding window

IowaTom

Be aware that a factory slider fits right up into a gasket that takes the double-wide track and aftermarket sliders (like C.R. Laurence) have a narrow flange that uses the gasket for single pane glass.

A lot has been said about rear gaskets that don't fit well.

There was a thread recently about this.

All this is to say if your factory slider is damaged beyond repair you're going to need a factory slider or a new gasket.

I'm going to link the thread, because there seems to be some confusion about the years that fit. (Up to '81 & '81>)

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Rear-slider-gasket-tp54569.html

I can only speak for my truck that came with a factory slider, and when I tried to replace it with a CRL aftermarket window I needed to get a different gasket.

Be aware that a factory slider fits right up into a gasket that takes the double-wide track and aftermarket sliders (like C.R. Laurence) have a narrow flange that uses the gasket for single pane glass.

A lot has been said about rear gaskets that don't fit well.

There was a thread recently about this.

All this is to say if your factory slider is damaged beyond repair you're going to need a factory slider or a new gasket.

I'm going to link the thread, because there seems to be some confusion about the years that fit. (Up to '81 & '81>)

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Rear-slider-gasket-tp54569.html

I can only speak for my truck that came with a factory slider, and when I tried to replace it with a CRL aftermarket window I needed to get a different gasket.

Jim - Thanks for the link to the thread. Very informative and I'm always grateful when guys post part numbers. Thinking since I live in a mostly wet & chilly climate (in the PNW) I would be inclined to replace my rusted up slider with a solid window and new seal.

We have a truck boneyard the next town over and I might take a walk thru to see what's available. Thanks again!

Jim - Thanks for the link to the thread. Very informative and I'm always grateful when guys post part numbers. Thinking since I live in a mostly wet & chilly climate (in the PNW) I would be inclined to replace my rusted up slider with a solid window and new seal.

We have a truck boneyard the next town over and I might take a walk thru to see what's available. Thanks again!

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I will anyway. Sorry Tom. :nabble_smiley_happy:

One of this things on my to-do list is to work on my sliding rear window. Some of the rubber in the channel is gone, other parts are very brittle and things just don't slide correctly. I will first try to fix it up myself, but has anyone taken their window to an auto glass shop to see if they can/will restore it? Or do you think they'd just laugh at me? It seems most shops are just "remove and replace" for windshields, but I'd like a pro to work on it possibly as they'd have a better idea on the right sizes of replacement rubber, which products to use, etc. Thoughts?

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I will anyway. Sorry Tom. :nabble_smiley_happy:

One of this things on my to-do list is to work on my sliding rear window. Some of the rubber in the channel is gone, other parts are very brittle and things just don't slide correctly. I will first try to fix it up myself, but has anyone taken their window to an auto glass shop to see if they can/will restore it? Or do you think they'd just laugh at me? It seems most shops are just "remove and replace" for windshields, but I'd like a pro to work on it possibly as they'd have a better idea on the right sizes of replacement rubber, which products to use, etc. Thoughts?

Chris, I never tried to get mine repaired.

But as a 'make do' fix I used the plastic spine from a report cover (the clear plastic sleeve you used to submit for class)

This kept the glass centered and eliminated the binding and rattle *for a while.... :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Chris, I never tried to get mine repaired.

But as a 'make do' fix I used the plastic spine from a report cover (the clear plastic sleeve you used to submit for class)

This kept the glass centered and eliminated the binding and rattle *for a while.... :nabble_smiley_thinking:

That's a good idea! I'd like to do it myself but there is a tradeoff for me of time to complete vs money.

My son wants to drive my truck before he graduates high school and I have 1.5 project years left (I'm on year 4!!!!) :nabble_anim_crazy: