Bullnose Forums

3G Writeup From Lucas

Gary Lewis

Folks - Lucas has written up his 3G conversion and it looks very good to me. However, it is in a different format than what we have with regard to 3G conversions. His is a Word document with everything it it where the way we've done it previously is by breaking it up into sections with tabs, like Overview, Choosing An Alternator, etc.

And that brings up the question of how best to present the info. We can do it either way, and I'd like your input. Towards that end please go look at these two pages and let me know what you think the best way to do this is:

• Documentation/Electrical/3G Conversion: This is our original page and it shows the tabs. But it isn't quite the latest as that's the "under construction" page at Documentation/Electrical/3G Conversion/3G Conversion - Under Development.

Again, please review the two pages and help us think through how best to present the info.

Gary, very first impression:

1- I use my phone a lot when reading at the forum, and also while working at the truck. Sometimes the iPad. Never the laptop when buzzing around the truck.

2- So, .DOC files are difficult to use with these mobile devices. No easy scrolling nor zoom in-out. Forces me to previously download them on the PC, then transfer them in PDF, then using the PDF files on mobile devices.

3- The tabs structure is useful, easily usable on mobile devices.

Considering this, I see two ways to integrate Lucas precious step by step guide:

A- (the hard way): Split it in different chapter and integrate them directly in each relevant existing page tabs.

B- (the short way): Simply create a new tab and put a pdf of Lucas document in it, which could be easily downloaded. At the beginning of the thread, a short explanation to say it is a step by step complement of the different tabs.

This is my very humble opinion, based on the tech tools I use to consult the Forum while working on the truck. May not be shared by the majority...

Question: Why is there two pages for the same subject?

33D9684A-FC85-46C2-85C5-C6B27EA8056F.jpeg.4c82fd8656907700e8bbe4b3c14ab2a4.jpeg

I have to agree with Jeff that Microsoft documents don't play well with phones and I usually just give up after a couple of minutes staring at a Microsoft document screen placeholder.

Though that may be more an artifact of your onedrive, since this seemed to render in a reasonable time.

But I do think that Lucas has done a great job simplifying and documenting the 1G - 3G conversion.

I have to agree with Jeff that Microsoft documents don't play well with phones and I usually just give up after a couple of minutes staring at a Microsoft document screen placeholder.

Though that may be more an artifact of your onedrive, since this seemed to render in a reasonable time.

But I do think that Lucas has done a great job simplifying and documenting the 1G - 3G conversion.

Exactly what Jim said. 👍🏽

Exactly what Jim said. 👍🏽

Ok guys, that’s exactly the kind of input I’m looking for. But this document is on my One Drive so the speed loading wasn’t due to that.

Anyway, when I get back from vacation, and more people have had a chance to chime in, I’ll process it. Probably break it up into tabs and put it directly on the website rather than in a separate document.

And Jeff, one of those pages is “in development” and is more specific than the other. Isn’t it for a 2G to 3G conversion?

And Jeff, one of those pages is “in development” and is more specific than the other. Isn’t it for a 2G to 3G conversion?

Well, Gary, I see that one of the two pages is under construction, but seems to me that they are titled very similarly, but reversely:

- Swapping 3G in place of 1G or 2G.

- Swapping 1G or 2G for a 3G.

Kind of

take a new hat to replace your old one,

or

replace your old hat with a new one.

Very subtile... I am missing something?

:nabble_smiley_wink:

One thing's sure, it's time for some vacation, hey.

:nabble_smiley_evil:

Ok guys, that’s exactly the kind of input I’m looking for. But this document is on my One Drive so the speed loading wasn’t due to that.

Anyway, when I get back from vacation, and more people have had a chance to chime in, I’ll process it. Probably break it up into tabs and put it directly on the website rather than in a separate document.

Maybe it's just my personal feelings but Lucas + Electrical gives me the willies.

Rare_Lucas_part.jpg.edb486627470bd8b44cc0b6ce155f1fd.jpg

Maybe it's just my personal feelings but Lucas + Electrical gives me the willies.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n124864/Rare_Lucas_part.jpg

:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I flipped through the write-up and definitely think it belongs on the 3G page. I didn't particularly mind the word document presentation as-is. I personally find the existing info hard to wrap my head around since it is so spread out. Lucas put it in more of a "How-to" format, and I like that.

As for where it sits, when I hit documentation/electrical/3G conversion, Lucas' writeup was right there to find. Seems like a good spot to me.

What I didn't like about Lucas' writeup, is that it reminded me that I don't know where my factory 2G harness went. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I flipped through the write-up and definitely think it belongs on the 3G page. I didn't particularly mind the word document presentation as-is. I personally find the existing info hard to wrap my head around since it is so spread out. Lucas put it in more of a "How-to" format, and I like that.

As for where it sits, when I hit documentation/electrical/3G conversion, Lucas' writeup was right there to find. Seems like a good spot to me.

What I didn't like about Lucas' writeup, is that it reminded me that I don't know where my factory 2G harness went. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Well I'm glad for all the positive feedback in making the project seem a little simpler. That's what I was shooting for!

If it's going to stay on the website, my two cents would be to integrate into the website itself and not use the word file. On the 3G conversion page maybe you could just break up the content of the word doc into separate tabs, then add a different tab for 2G wiring?

Sorry for not chiming in sooner, just been working a lot.