Bullnose Forums

Muffler Suggestions

Getting ready to pull the trigger on this purchase but have a couple more questions. What's the difference between a round and oval muffler? Going with a Magnaflow. Can anyone give me specific models that they use/like.

Main difference from most people's standpoint is fit. Oval can be turned to fit in places a round one won't.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I did not see other than it is a 80 with a 300 six / 4.9 motor.

Do you still run the factory log exh manifold?

Will you be running a cat or 2?

Will you be running a full factory exh. system, maybe less cat(s), but tail pipe all the way out back like the factory system?

Long or short bed truck?

I ask because any and all will change the sound that comes out the end pipe.

When I first got my 81 F100 short bed truck on the road it had EFI manifolds and factory Y pipe.

I did not run a cat but did run a factory round muffler and tail pipe out behind the tire.

I got to say when running you could not hear it, way to quite for me.

A year later the inlet to the round muffler started to pull out so I replaced the full system from the Y pipe back (94 F truck system) but I went with a Thrust welded oval muffler, its a bolt on from the parts store for the truck, no cat.

At idle I think it sounds like a v8 with a nice muffler, cant tell you what it sounds like at speed when outside.

Inside you can hear it has a different muffler, it is not loud. How loud can a straight six be?

Dave ----