Bullnose Forums

AC Clutch Cycle and Pressure

I have a 1986 Bronco that I changed from v-belt to the 1994 style serpentine setup. In my experience, the old v-belt system that used an FS6 compressor never really cycled off unless the low-side pressure switch turned it off when something was wrong. The new system uses an FS10 copmpressor and has a place for a low- AND a high-side pressure cutoff switch.

I'm having a problem with the new system where after a while, the high-side pressure relief valve starts blowing out refrigerant and some of the UV PAG oil. So my question is this: is the newer system one that needs to cycle on and off like my '09 ranger does? Do I need to incorporate a high-side AC pressure cutoff switch into my wiring in order for the cycling to happen properly?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am guessing you had the system open to swap in the FS10 compressor for the FS6 one?

How did you recharge the system and what was the gauge readings low / high sides?

How much larger is the 10 over the 6?

Got to ask why not change the pulley on the FS6 from V to serp?

Yes You would need to change the clutch but that is not hard and the system does not need to be open.

Dave ----

I am guessing you had the system open to swap in the FS10 compressor for the FS6 one?

How did you recharge the system and what was the gauge readings low / high sides?

Yes You would need to change the clutch but that is not hard and the system does not need to be open.

Dave ----

Heya, Fuzz!

I had the system open, but followed normal procedure in pulling a vacuum for 30 minutes, then leaving it to check for leaks (none found), then running it and adding until the pressures were around 45 and 200. I'm sure the pressure in the high side is much higher now that it is making the valve open. I have not checked it with my gauges yet. It's not a problem for me to open the AC, because I have access to an evacuation system, and I can recharge at home.

The 10 is not larger than the 6. It's just a newer design. If anything, I would say the diameter of it is smaller.

I had to switch because I was fixing 2 problems:

1. the brackets that held all the v-belt stuff were starting to fatigue. I had already welded them back together once and they were starting to crack again. (these brackets were run for all 600,000 miles of this vehicle's life).

2. Even before the metal fatigue, the belts were always squealing and out of alignment.

So I ended up just taking the whole front off the engine of a 1994 and using all the new accessories and updated designs. This also worked well with my saginaw compressor.

Dave ----

Also, the FS6 is a regular mount and the fS10 is transverse mount, so it def wouldn't swap over.

When I get home I can pull the mitchel drawing, but my 1995 Ranger has the FS10 setup with both switches.

The high side switch does the main regulation.... the low side is just to keep it from running with a low charge. They're wired in series as part of the clutch circuit.

When I get home I can pull the mitchel drawing, but my 1995 Ranger has the FS10 setup with both switches.

The high side switch does the main regulation.... the low side is just to keep it from running with a low charge. They're wired in series as part of the clutch circuit.

Thanks, Ratman. I know how the wiring needs to be, but I was mainly wondering if the high side is necessary to cycle on and off. Because I don't have it currently.

Your post seems to indicate that the high side is necessary.

Thanks, Ratman. I know how the wiring needs to be, but I was mainly wondering if the high side is necessary to cycle on and off. Because I don't have it currently.

Your post seems to indicate that the high side is necessary.

From my experience, yes.

I added the pressure switch and wiring and it all seems to be working right. Thanks again!

Larry - Can you post a pic of the high-side switch? I have an FS10 system from a 1990 F250 in Big Blue and it doesn't appear to have that switch in it. Or maybe I'm missing it?

Larry - Can you post a pic of the high-side switch? I have an FS10 system from a 1990 F250 in Big Blue and it doesn't appear to have that switch in it. Or maybe I'm missing it?

Gary, here is the one on Darth, it is in the hose manifold.

3381_532025360147681_969577090_n.jpg.d1db8d4fc54b61e75987cdc22a7d001a.jpg

And here is a closeup before I installed the lines.

IMGP0805a.jpg.516207e723ef03be8d0bfd678f748bf9.jpg

It is a high pressure shutdown for the compressor and is in the 1996 EVTM.