Bullnose Forums

'81 flareside 4x4 project

nmchuck

I prefer the fat 10's, but they both look good!

I may have asked before, but is that a Jeepster Commando in the background??

Thanks for the replies fellas, the good news is that I can always swap them back if I change my mind. The tires that were on the bronco are in much better shape, too. I really need to start working on that rig again, but it's on the backburner for now.

Rembrant, that indeed a '70 Jeepster Commando. My brother seems to have an obsession, he has three of them. This one ended up at my place since he ran out of room. We nicknamed this one the big ugly, it's rough body wise, hardly a straight panel on it and someone went nuts cutting out the rear wheel openings. The cool part is there is no rust, so it is definitely going to get fixed up. It has the Dauntless V6, three speed manual and runs and drives. Needs the clutch looked at soon though as it is difficult to drive and doesn't release entirely when depressed.

big_ugly.jpg.0cb1bba2135bba5557aa2a9f5e142980.jpg

Too many projects around here, which I guess is a good problem to have!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rembrant, that indeed a '70 Jeepster Commando. My brother seems to have an obsession, he has three of them. This one ended up at my place since he ran out of room. We nicknamed this one the big ugly, it's rough body wise, hardly a straight panel on it and someone went nuts cutting out the rear wheel openings. The cool part is there is no rust, so it is definitely going to get fixed up. It has the Dauntless V6, three speed manual and runs and drives. Needs the clutch looked at soon though as it is difficult to drive and doesn't release entirely when depressed.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n125811/big_ugly.jpg

Cool! My uncle was a hardcore Jeep guy and he had one of these Commandos back in the 70's. I remember riding in it on the beach (back when when we could do that kind of thing). He replaced it in 1981 with a now equally Rare CJ-8 Jeep Scrambler. Thanks for sharing.

• 2 months later...

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n125811/big_ugly.jpg

Cool! My uncle was a hardcore Jeep guy and he had one of these Commandos back in the 70's. I remember riding in it on the beach (back when when we could do that kind of thing). He replaced it in 1981 with a now equally Rare CJ-8 Jeep Scrambler. Thanks for sharing.

It’s been a while, still working on it slowly, although I have been busy with family and holidays.

Picked up a used bumper from a good buddy that was on a wrecked 93 style side bed. Modified it a little to better match the flare side bed.

This rascal is heavy, the plate where the ball mounts and receiver are welded is 1” thick and the rest of the bumper is 1/8” plate. Let me know what you think!B038059D-4B72-4B54-859F-2788CAD3AA44.jpeg.a9c997ec748d03147cbbaf77d0256364.jpeg4EE89EB9-610E-4B2E-97FA-972EE399346C.jpeg.3effe0f66198860a64a228f0d0ff2968.jpeg8981B989-161A-4F5F-9D2D-05122D9E8856.jpeg.4d579011916cfbabc6db49ef10a94eb0.jpeg37D94ECD-D866-4088-836E-B4B840C908B6.jpeg.ba95e732d6d515c0d4a8c72485ce62ff.jpeg8F2276B8-0870-4FE7-B8A5-01176FA66285.jpeg.02b0501f4a313eac2dc3b0b0ed0b4d33.jpeg

It’s been a while, still working on it slowly, although I have been busy with family and holidays.

Picked up a used bumper from a good buddy that was on a wrecked 93 style side bed. Modified it a little to better match the flare side bed.

This rascal is heavy, the plate where the ball mounts and receiver are welded is 1” thick and the rest of the bumper is 1/8” plate. Let me know what you think!

Nice job! :nabble_smiley_good:

Tucking the corners sure does help.

*Wrong emoticon....

This rascal is heavy, the plate where the ball mounts and receiver are welded is 1” thick and the rest of the bumper is 1/8” plate. Let me know what you think!

I agree! Looks nice! Good job!

that looks awesome!

Thanks for the comments, I’m pretty pleased with the results too.

On a different topic, can you steer me in the right direction on the cab corner filler pieces for a flare side? I am guessing there are pieces that fill this gap on flare sides 75CA862F-BA66-4659-9344-F7A77A73CE0B.jpeg.732c63cf6242cb0cc2ed31d8433be73e.jpeg

I have tried to find good photos or diagrams but have not been succesful so far.

On a different topic, can you steer me in the right direction on the cab corner filler pieces for a flare side? I am guessing there are pieces that fill this gap on flare sides

I have tried to find good photos or diagrams but have not been succesful so far.

I think the cabs are the same between Flareside and Styleside trucks. So I'd look at Tabco for the cab corners and my paint/body man got the ones for Dad's truck there.

On a different topic, can you steer me in the right direction on the cab corner filler pieces for a flare side? I am guessing there are pieces that fill this gap on flare sides https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n129339/75CA862F-BA66-4659-9344-F7A77A73CE0B.jpeg

Chuck,

The Flaresides had little flat filler panels that were riveted in place. They fit into the depressed edges of the cab corners, and they had very slight crease down in the inside that matched the cab. Here's a picture of mine below...these are new pieces I had made up when I had my truck painted. They were riveted in place, but the shop also put seam sealer between them and the cab.

IMG_8720.jpg.a194f19e6ca0caebab07fcd574377ee3.jpg