Bullnose Forums

'81 flareside 4x4 project

nmchuck

i would like to see the process of completing the trim all the way around on a flareside . this might be interesting.:nabble_anim_confused:

Maybe I could experiment a with trim on the bed going since it is going to be a while before paint. If I can find some trim in a wrecking yard, maybe I could see if there is a way.

Have plenty of time to ponder, will be a while before paint.

Here are a couple more pics with the bumper on, and the interior. hoping to get this to my place this week so I can work on it a little closer to home.IMG-1975.jpg.dca7b8c1f08538c93b976b8e00277990.jpgIMG-1973.jpg.89587cedee8cf98042da36df1da268f9.jpgIMG-1977.jpg.b08eef5fd46a325f84f33dfafdf42131.jpg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I could experiment a with trim on the bed going since it is going to be a while before paint. If I can find some trim in a wrecking yard, maybe I could see if there is a way.

Have plenty of time to ponder, will be a while before paint.

Here are a couple more pics with the bumper on, and the interior. hoping to get this to my place this week so I can work on it a little closer to home.

If you come up with a neat way to add the trim that would be cool. :nabble_smiley_good:

By the way, the picture orientation issue is due to how you are holding the camera and the dumb software on this site. In the olden days everyone knew how to hold their cameras 'cause it was obvious. But then smart phones came along and it wasn't obvious so the phones/cameras started embedding the orientation of the camera in the metadata of the picture. And software on computers then re-orients the pictures before displaying.

This forum's software doesn't have the smarts built in it, so you have two choices. One is to re-orient the picture before you post using some software like Photoshop. That's what I do and, at the same time, I crop and reduce the size of the file. Or, remember to hold the camera so the pics come out right, and on my iPhone X that is with the on/off button on top.

[...] so you have two choices. One is to re-orient the picture before you post using some software like Photoshop. That's what I do and, at the same time, I crop and reduce the size of the file. Or, remember to hold the camera so the pics come out right, and on my iPhone X that is with the on/off button on top.

Gary, there is a third method. No need for an external software, just using the smartphone.

A-Using the smart phone, edit the picture and force it to rotate (no matter which direction). Save the modifications.

B-Edit the picture a second time, rotating it in the good way, save it again.

In the thread, simply replace the bad a picture by the good one.

Done!

Now it will appear on the forum correctly oriented.

:nabble_anim_working:

[...] so you have two choices. One is to re-orient the picture before you post using some software like Photoshop. That's what I do and, at the same time, I crop and reduce the size of the file. Or, remember to hold the camera so the pics come out right, and on my iPhone X that is with the on/off button on top.

Gary, there is a third method. No need for an external software, just using the smartphone.

A-Using the smart phone, edit the picture and force it to rotate (no matter which direction). Save the modifications.

B-Edit the picture a second time, rotating it in the good way, save it again.

In the thread, simply replace the bad a picture by the good one.

Done!

Now it will appear on the forum correctly oriented.

:nabble_anim_working:

Jein. (Sorry, that's German slang for yes and no.) I'm pretty sure that if the picture's name doesn't change you won't get a change when you try to upload it again to this forum. Once it has its mitts on that name the picture won't change. So when you save it the 2nd time just change the name a bit.

But otherwise, yes that will work. :nabble_smiley_good:

Jein. (Sorry, that's German slang for yes and no.) I'm pretty sure that if the picture's name doesn't change you won't get a change when you try to upload it again

Lol!

We'll, nothing as a scientific experiment to decide between the yes or no. I'll try it in a specific post. Just for fun.

We shall know the truth!

:nabble_smiley_super:

Jein. (Sorry, that's German slang for yes and no.) I'm pretty sure that if the picture's name doesn't change you won't get a change when you try to upload it again

Lol!

We'll, nothing as a scientific experiment to decide between the yes or no. I'll try it in a specific post. Just for fun.

We shall know the truth!

I have to admit, I tried... and failed to use some of these suggestions. I will try to orient the phone the same each time from this point forward. That being said, I'm going to post a response that will drive everyone bonkers with whacked out photos. Hopefully the last one now that I know this forum is a little persnickitty about photos!

Lol!

We shall know the truth!

Be warned- mis aligned photos in this post, sorry, but I just couldn't get them correct. Hopefully this is the last of them and I'll get them take correct from here on!

I am still attempting to figure this old rig out. Here is a pic of the tag on the door-IMG-1994.jpg.be47c03d62f371e26dc401fb307d9621.jpg

Here is a picture of a tag on the firewall, can anyone tell me how to decode this? I see the paint codes but the rest are a mystery. IMG-2001.jpg.7742e624e771f199e06362f7691f0c42.jpg Best I can tell this was a two-tone brown with the Victoria(?) style two tone.

Question, does anyone know what this wiring connector is for that is on the top side of the glove box? IMG-1998.jpg.a457ff68912d3699908e8c71104ada56.jpg Here is a closer look- IMG-1999.jpg.a79f2df63fc3de703fdbfbc6a15c4f18.jpg

I believe this truck had two tanks originally when built, but the rear tank was removed when they put the flare side bed on. The original selector switch is now a hardware store toggle switch, and only seems to alter the gauge. Found this on the driver's side floorboard though, and I'm fairly sure it was an added on manual switch-IMG-2026.jpg.e2c0f0327f5e8bd6715151708b529f9a.jpg

And finally, here is a pic showing the height of the tailgate, just a little under 5' tall! still debating if I want to remove the lift.IMG-2007.jpg.770ad7b2b75e78e0fc40b47ea587f480.jpg

Making slow progress, but sure learning a bunch.

Be warned- mis aligned photos in this post, sorry, but I just couldn't get them correct. Hopefully this is the last of them and I'll get them take correct from here on!

I am still attempting to figure this old rig out. Here is a pic of the tag on the door-IMG-1994.jpg.254112d84e72bfde85e919f5a2396adc.jpg

Here is a picture of a tag on the firewall, can anyone tell me how to decode this? I see the paint codes but the rest are a mystery. IMG-2001.jpg.9af412f0e96288da4d729117f099d626.jpg Best I can tell this was a two-tone brown with the Victoria(?) style two tone.

Question, does anyone know what this wiring connector is for that is on the top side of the glove box? Here is a closer look-

I believe this truck had two tanks originally when built, but the rear tank was removed when they put the flare side bed on. The original selector switch is now a hardware store toggle switch, and only seems to alter the gauge. Found this on the driver's side floorboard though, and I'm fairly sure it was an added on manual switch-

And finally, here is a pic showing the height of the tailgate, just a little under 5' tall! still debating if I want to remove the lift.

Making slow progress, but sure learning a bunch.

Chuck,

That red plug above the glove box plugs into a little square module almost the exact same size as the plug itself. It is the buzzer for the door open and seat belts or whatever...

The tag on the firewall is the "buck tag" with information on the truck. There is a duplicate tag on the underside of the bed if the bed is original. It was used to identify the cab and bed on the assembly line, etc. There's not really any useful info on there for us that isn't already on the certification label on the cab. If you look at the certification label you'll see some of the same digits/codes as what is on the buck tag.

According to your certification label, your truck was built with a 351m, C6 auto, and 9" rear with 3.00 gears. Paint codes look like 5Q and 8A? Tu-tone Dark Brown Metallic and Dark Chamois Metallic? Bench seat with cloth/vinyl, styleside bed. Built at the Twin Cities plant and originally slated for delivery to Denver, Co.

I love these Flaresides...you're making me miss mine a lot...lol.

If the pictures won't self-correct, I open them in MS Paint and save as JPEG, and that fixes them...if you're on a PC. I don't know how to do it on a mobile phone. I read this forum on my phone all the time, but I usually only post pics when on my laptop.

IMG-1994.jpg.254112d84e72bfde85e919f5a2396adc.jpg

IMG-2001.jpg.9af412f0e96288da4d729117f099d626.jpg

Chuck,

That red plug above the glove box plugs into a little square module almost the exact same size as the plug itself. It is the buzzer for the door open and seat belts or whatever...

The tag on the firewall is the "buck tag" with information on the truck. There is a duplicate tag on the underside of the bed if the bed is original. It was used to identify the cab and bed on the assembly line, etc. There's not really any useful info on there for us that isn't already on the certification label on the cab. If you look at the certification label you'll see some of the same digits/codes as what is on the buck tag.

According to your certification label, your truck was built with a 351m, C6 auto, and 9" rear with 3.00 gears. Paint codes look like 5Q and 8A? Tu-tone Dark Brown Metallic and Dark Chamois Metallic? Bench seat with cloth/vinyl, styleside bed. Built at the Twin Cities plant and originally slated for delivery to Denver, Co.

I love these Flaresides...you're making me miss mine a lot...lol.

If the pictures won't self-correct, I open them in MS Paint and save as JPEG, and that fixes them...if you're on a PC. I don't know how to do it on a mobile phone. I read this forum on my phone all the time, but I usually only post pics when on my laptop.

Thanks for fixing my mess up! I'll try the paint program, that sounds simple enough that I could master it.

Odds are good the red connector doesn't get re-attached, kind of nice having the nanny tuned off. I bet you do miss the flaresides you have had, those were great looking rigs. Your current project is pretty sweet though!

Moved on to figuring out the engine miss. New plugs and wires went in, old plugs definitely need helpAC5E663C-9EBD-4C25-BA67-080B174A198C.thumb.jpeg.5c39367c1266752f75796f121672bb9f.jpeg

Unfortunately #2 cylinder still not firing. Ran a compression check of all cylinders ranged from 112 to 122 psi except #2. This read 0 a couple of times, then 35, back to zero then 125. Basically all over the place.

Pulled the valve cover tonight and found this, notice something missing?

9A973503-237C-4886-B100-CF70159C6D54.thumb.jpeg.f51d1b6a8de70ece93d972f7964d3ee1.jpeg