Bullnose Forums

Same day, new problem.

My truck has not had functioning locks since I bought it and today, I thought I'd investigate the problem. It is a common problem as the arm that attaches to the puller rod has broken.

20220801_114200.jpg.c6d62154be7b3ba4fb39a4cbd79cbc98.jpg

Problem I'm facing is hooking it up to the puller rod. It is a completely different shape than the passenger side door.

Sorry. Posted before I was done. Here is an image of the drivers side door pull rod.

20220801_113621.jpg.c1d21e4cf3d1f128c02cd41dad9ebc1f.jpg

2 questions:

Can you just buy the broken lever on the lock cylinder? Or an I stuck buying a $50 set of locks?

Does anyone know of a diagram for the drivers side door? All I can find is the passenger.

Sorry. Posted before I was done. Here is an image of the drivers side door pull rod.

2 questions:

Can you just buy the broken lever on the lock cylinder? Or an I stuck buying a $50 set of locks?

Does anyone know of a diagram for the drivers side door? All I can find is the passenger.

I can't figure out how to attach the puller rod as it is nearly at a 90 degree angle. If I pull it up to the lock cylinder, it binds it and doesn't allow the mechanism to move freely.

I can't figure out how to attach the puller rod as it is nearly at a 90 degree angle. If I pull it up to the lock cylinder, it binds it and doesn't allow the mechanism to move freely.

It has been years since I had my doors open to see any of the rods, etc.

Could you have the rod on backwards?

The end in your hand may go in the latch assy.?

I say this because the rod looks close to the outer door skin in the picture.

IIRC there are 3 rods, rod to the key cyl, rod to the slider door panel lever, rod to the inside door open lever.

Any way they were all off and you got 2 of them mixed up and installed in the wrong place?

When I pulled the latches on mine I left the 3 rods on the latch so I would know how they went back together.

On the lever I dont remember if the arm comes with the new locks or not?

I cant remember if I installed new lock cyl or not at this time and I dont remember seeing any old ones when going thru my parts bins so I may have just replaced the gaskets?

Dose LMC, Dennis Carpenter or Jeff's Bronco Grave Yard show anything on their sites for this arm?

Sorry I cant help more

Dave ----

It has been years since I had my doors open to see any of the rods, etc.

Could you have the rod on backwards?

The end in your hand may go in the latch assy.?

I say this because the rod looks close to the outer door skin in the picture.

IIRC there are 3 rods, rod to the key cyl, rod to the slider door panel lever, rod to the inside door open lever.

Any way they were all off and you got 2 of them mixed up and installed in the wrong place?

When I pulled the latches on mine I left the 3 rods on the latch so I would know how they went back together.

On the lever I dont remember if the arm comes with the new locks or not?

I cant remember if I installed new lock cyl or not at this time and I dont remember seeing any old ones when going thru my parts bins so I may have just replaced the gaskets?

Dose LMC, Dennis Carpenter or Jeff's Bronco Grave Yard show anything on their sites for this arm?

Sorry I cant help more

Dave ----

Went ahead and bought new cylinders so I don't have to worry about the broken arm. I haven't taken the latch assembly out yet. The truck came like this with the other 2 hooked up. That one was attached at the bottom but not the top. With me buying new cylinders, I think I'll have to tear out the entire latch to attach it. I'll reasses it then. The pull link is definitely a different shape than the passenger door.

Went ahead and bought new cylinders so I don't have to worry about the broken arm. I haven't taken the latch assembly out yet. The truck came like this with the other 2 hooked up. That one was attached at the bottom but not the top. With me buying new cylinders, I think I'll have to tear out the entire latch to attach it. I'll reasses it then. The pull link is definitely a different shape than the passenger door.

I just dont remember how it all went together at this time.

I did try the key and I could not turn it in either cyl lock but was not how the rods were hooked up.

I did not have the door panel slider part and to keep the rods from making noise or falling off and to the bottom of the door I taped the rods to the door.

Because of this it kept the key from turning because the rods could not move as the lock was turned.

I now have the sliders but I would like to replace the door panels but last time I looked I could not find slider lock door panels so Imay have to pull my panels and do a better "restore job" on them.

I am enjoying the truck to much to take the truck / panels off to do what needs to be done.

I dont know if the pin type inside lock setup would be the same set up or not but maybe someone that has a door panel off could take pictures to see.

Wish I could help more

Dave ----

I just dont remember how it all went together at this time.

I did try the key and I could not turn it in either cyl lock but was not how the rods were hooked up.

I did not have the door panel slider part and to keep the rods from making noise or falling off and to the bottom of the door I taped the rods to the door.

Because of this it kept the key from turning because the rods could not move as the lock was turned.

I now have the sliders but I would like to replace the door panels but last time I looked I could not find slider lock door panels so Imay have to pull my panels and do a better "restore job" on them.

I am enjoying the truck to much to take the truck / panels off to do what needs to be done.

I dont know if the pin type inside lock setup would be the same set up or not but maybe someone that has a door panel off could take pictures to see.

Wish I could help more

Dave ----

Got it all figured out and new cylinders installed. The drivers side rod SHOULD be the same as the passenger. Mine was bent severely! My guess it fell loose/wedged in the window mechanism and the previous owner just cranked down until the window went all the way down. That bent the original rod. Bent it back (relatively) straight and it works like a champ! Thanks for letting me pick your brain.

Got it all figured out and new cylinders installed. The drivers side rod SHOULD be the same as the passenger. Mine was bent severely! My guess it fell loose/wedged in the window mechanism and the previous owner just cranked down until the window went all the way down. That bent the original rod. Bent it back (relatively) straight and it works like a champ! Thanks for letting me pick your brain.

:nabble_anim_jump:cool that you got it figured out and working.

A bent rod rod that is bent from the factory to start with would be hard to tell.

Dave ----

glad that you got it in. i have one question. did your new lock cyl set come with round head keys ? if so what brand?