Bullnose Forums

What are your tricks for finding hardware?

So lets say I'm looking for a common part with locator code X-45 (that's 44750-S8 in the Parts and Utility catalog). How would you find that?

Usually I search the Part Number and I can find it at Fastenal or similar. Often I end up with a part that is similar but not the same. I feel like I spend more time and money finding the right screw, nut or washer than I should. What does everyone else do? Is there a trick for finding cross references and identical parts with other SKUs?

I think the locator code is for Ford parts managers. And the -S code is the coating. So I’d look for the number w/o the -S.

I use Clips & Fasteners as a supplier, and frequently they show it by the Ford part number. Other times I have to use the description in the utility catalog to find it.

For the smaller oddball Fasteners (7mm head or attached washer 6mm, etc) Clips 'N Fasteners or Aveuco.

When I replaced my radiator support I ended up buying boxes through eBay.

Bigger stuff like chassis or engine fasteners I usually get at the local hardware.

... the last of which has unfortunately been sold because the owner retired.

I feel like I spend more time and money finding the right screw, nut or washer than I should. What does everyone else do? Is there a trick for finding cross references and identical parts with other SKUs?

I have an unusual obsession with OEM bolts and nuts, or bolts that appear to be OEM. The hardest thing to find in the aftermarket is flanged hex head bolts like the manufacturers use...or to be even more specific, "dished head" flanged hex head bolts, like the Germans use on Volkswagens, etc. I used to really annoy a few of the guys at the local dealers because I was always looking for OEM bolts, and I'd pay $10 for a factory bolt that was free issue in the bolt bin just 10 feet away lol.

I only really care if it can be easily seen. A lower shock bolt under the car or truck, I don't care what it is.

A personal pet peeve of mine is the water pump bolts on a small block Ford. They're always seized and snap off in the water pump or timing cover (or even worse, in the block) and you just can't find those original looking bolts anywhere.

As for finding them...good luck. The parts guys at the dealers seem to have a 10 year limit. They HATE looking up bolts anyway, but anything over 10 years old and you'll usually get an eye roll and a big sigh like you just ruined their whole day by asking them to look it up...lol. I get it though...most people probably won't pay $10 for a bolt, but some will.

In my line of work (Industrial) we often quote customers $50, $60, even $70 for a single O-ring haha, and sometimes they lose their minds and freak out, but there's just as many people will pay the price and buy them too.