Bullnose Forums

Diary of a Restore (Thread)

Central Oregon! Redmond!

Cool! Redmond was my first time in Central Oregon, did two weeks there when I was in the USAF Reserves.

We were with the smoke jumpers in their facility at the airport, and operated our Hueys out of there.

It was great!

Used to live in Oakridge and Hillsboro. Don’t think you’ll find me in Hillsboro again!

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool! Redmond was my first time in Central Oregon, did two weeks there when I was in the USAF Reserves.

We were with the smoke jumpers in their facility at the airport, and operated our Hueys out of there.

It was great!

Used to live in Oakridge and Hillsboro. Don’t think you’ll find me in Hillsboro again!

Do you mean the Hot Shots? (smoke jumpers). They were all manly men.

I spent a lot of time in Portland in the 70s-80s—my sister was a big part of the music scene there. So, my summers were spent hanging around that sort of thing. Bud Clark was mayor around that time in the 80s too. But, the Willamette Valley is never to be what it once was, and I shall not return.

Cheers!

Do you mean the Hot Shots? (smoke jumpers). They were all manly men.

I spent a lot of time in Portland in the 70s-80s—my sister was a big part of the music scene there. So, my summers were spent hanging around that sort of thing. Bud Clark was mayor around that time in the 80s too. But, the Willamette Valley is never to be what it once was, and I shall not return.

Cheers!

Seems like things are coming together for you quite well. And the radio looks great. :nabble_smiley_good:

Seems like things are coming together for you quite well. And the radio looks great. :nabble_smiley_good:

Hey Gary,

Thank you. I cannot wait to get the doors on and install the speakers. I am working on a novel plan to install the doors—we shall see if it works. If it does, I will post. I hope to get to the doors this coming week. I have called a local glass place what deals with restored trucks. $370 installed, and they come to me. They even knew about some windshields covering the VIN on my truck, and quoted me with a special windshield that will NOT do that. So in a week or two, that will be done. I will attempt to install the rear sliding glass using the string/rope method before that.

In the meantime. Epoxy and Primer surfacer went on today. We had a hell of a thunderstorm as I began. But, thankfully I am in the garage and no wind came into it. I am constantly amazed how much I need to step up my bodywork game. Areas I think are smooth and will not show transition, showed when the epoxy went on. There were not many, but there was enough to make me say, ya, no. I also need to seal a seam that looks like I spaced out and forgot to do in the bed. Doh!

So, prep and wet sanding tomorrow to make way for the color.

I have included epoxy and primer shots, including a section where I put on some glaze that will be sanded tomorrow. There’s one little divit on one of my sheet metal sections that will need a small amount of glaze before the color. I see many little imperfections. Lots of little detail work to do tomorrow.

IMG_2020.thumb.jpeg.6184b6dcb5ef09f0574e0e1b99b17467.jpegIMG_2028.thumb.jpeg.e0c3fc320c836ef2cac294bfa0aaf756.jpegIMG_2025.thumb.jpeg.56e103b01b1fbd18cbf27c937412a085.jpegIMG_2035.thumb.jpeg.daf49be7c80736d81694af859272c612.jpeg

Hey Gary,

Thank you. I cannot wait to get the doors on and install the speakers. I am working on a novel plan to install the doors—we shall see if it works. If it does, I will post. I hope to get to the doors this coming week. I have called a local glass place what deals with restored trucks. $370 installed, and they come to me. They even knew about some windshields covering the VIN on my truck, and quoted me with a special windshield that will NOT do that. So in a week or two, that will be done. I will attempt to install the rear sliding glass using the string/rope method before that.

In the meantime. Epoxy and Primer surfacer went on today. We had a hell of a thunderstorm as I began. But, thankfully I am in the garage and no wind came into it. I am constantly amazed how much I need to step up my bodywork game. Areas I think are smooth and will not show transition, showed when the epoxy went on. There were not many, but there was enough to make me say, ya, no. I also need to seal a seam that looks like I spaced out and forgot to do in the bed. Doh!

So, prep and wet sanding tomorrow to make way for the color.

I have included epoxy and primer shots, including a section where I put on some glaze that will be sanded tomorrow. There’s one little divit on one of my sheet metal sections that will need a small amount of glaze before the color. I see many little imperfections. Lots of little detail work to do tomorrow.

It is looking really good! Yes, I can see some of the issues you mentioned, but you found them and can fix them. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thought I would post this and ask a question. I know this has been discussed briefly in the forums. But, I never saw a solution.

My truck has, what looks like, the old hinges on it—the 1979 and before, with the s-spring.

The Light manual shows the older version. The new version of the hinge is the roller/center spring.

So, I can find an s-shape spring, like on ebay and hope it works. LMC sells the s-spring for Chevys in the model years of my truck…but, again, will that work?

Or I could just buy the newer version of hinge.

Anyone dealt with this issue? Does the chevy s-spring work? Would it be best just to go with the newer model hinge?

IMG_2037.thumb.jpeg.39be4ab7fa1311fd2790759d6238f60e.jpeg

Thought I would post this and ask a question. I know this has been discussed briefly in the forums. But, I never saw a solution.

My truck has, what looks like, the old hinges on it—the 1979 and before, with the s-spring.

The Light manual shows the older version. The new version of the hinge is the roller/center spring.

So, I can find an s-shape spring, like on ebay and hope it works. LMC sells the s-spring for Chevys in the model years of my truck…but, again, will that work?

Or I could just buy the newer version of hinge.

Anyone dealt with this issue? Does the chevy s-spring work? Would it be best just to go with the newer model hinge?

I've interchanged the late for the early style and didn't really notice a difference. But I've not tried to change out the spring so can't answer that question.

Are your hinges broken? Or?

I've interchanged the late for the early style and didn't really notice a difference. But I've not tried to change out the spring so can't answer that question.

Are your hinges broken? Or?

Hi Gary,

There is only one hinge that is missing the spring. I rebuilt the hinges with a bushing/pin kit 4 months ago, thinking (silly me) I could find a spring. NOPE.

Other than a Dorman I see on Ebay here, which has sketchy detais about fit, I see the 79 trucks at LMC do not sell the spring, but only the entire hinge assembly. The Dorman spring is not exactly shaped like mine as it is squared off on one end.

LMC on the chevy side used a spring like this but I am not sure of fitment. LMC sells the spring only on the chevy side.

When I got the truck, the pass side door was sagging and hit the fender, hence would not open. I took it off, and found on the rust on the b side pillar—the same side as all that rust on the roof down the windshield. The bushings were indeed shot. So, I got the kit.

Now i am ready to put the doors back on and the issue I forgot about is now presenting itself to me.

Hi Gary,

There is only one hinge that is missing the spring. I rebuilt the hinges with a bushing/pin kit 4 months ago, thinking (silly me) I could find a spring. NOPE.

Other than a Dorman I see on Ebay here, which has sketchy detais about fit, I see the 79 trucks at LMC do not sell the spring, but only the entire hinge assembly. The Dorman spring is not exactly shaped like mine as it is squared off on one end.

LMC on the chevy side used a spring like this but I am not sure of fitment. LMC sells the spring only on the chevy side.

When I got the truck, the pass side door was sagging and hit the fender, hence would not open. I took it off, and found on the rust on the b side pillar—the same side as all that rust on the roof down the windshield. The bushings were indeed shot. So, I got the kit.

Now i am ready to put the doors back on and the issue I forgot about is now presenting itself to me.

I'll check tomorrow to see what I might have.