Bullnose Forums

Diary of a Restore (Thread)

I must not be looking at the same picture as you.

I only see the two white/purple wires.

This is one instance that the EVTM will drive you crazy.

They only show the circuits in whatever chapter.

There is no full wiring diagram anywhere in the book.

I have the full schematic blown up onto 11x17 paper—3 sections of it. Sections 12.22-12.24

OK, so I snipped the wires today to install the deutsch—only one was hot in accy. So, I spliced them together into a deutsch barrel.

I was wrong on the different color—both wht/ppl.

Also the 1980 EVTM does NOT line up wiht my fuse box, but the 1981 does. Is this common?

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must not be looking at the same picture as you.

I only see the two white/purple wires.

This is one instance that the EVTM will drive you crazy.

They only show the circuits in whatever chapter.

There is no full wiring diagram anywhere in the book.

I have the full schematic blown up onto 11x17 paper—3 sections of it. Sections 12.22-12.24

OK, so I snipped the wires today to install the deutsch—only one was hot in accy. So, I spliced them together into a deutsch barrel.

I was wrong on the different color—both wht/ppl.

Also the 1980 EVTM does NOT line up wiht my fuse box, but the 1981 does. Is this common?

Gary and others can point out many instances where the factory documentation has errors.

I don't feel bad for using the '81 EVTM illustrations now.. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Perhaps there was a running change in the fuse block harness and your truck was built later in model year production?

I'm afraid I can't offer insight. Maybe Ralph has more to say?

Gary and others can point out many instances where the factory documentation has errors.

I don't feel bad for using the '81 EVTM illustrations now.. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Perhaps there was a running change in the fuse block harness and your truck was built later in model year production?

I'm afraid I can't offer insight. Maybe Ralph has more to say?

Hey Jim,

My Truck came off the line in Nov 1979.... :nabble_smiley_happy:

Update:

Been really busy of late...including at the suggestion of a couple folks, doing some side work on plastic restoration for others. Trying to wrap my head around all that.

Have not sent the meter to rocket man yet.

The dash is back together (I need to get a pic of it) and now the headliner and cab pillars need to be all put together. One thing I did suffer was the dome light connectors BOTH all cracked and split AGAIN. So, that set me back a few days. I had extras, and did not want to buy the rather expensive Standard replacements that are still available, so problem solved for now.

With the bench removed I can get the rest of the interior done.

I am deep into the restoration of the bench seat. LOTS of frame rust I am dealing with, but it can def. be saved.

I have finished the back and now have moved onto the seat, where there need of the moment is I need a new flex-o-lator (grid). Took me a while to track all that down. No one carries it in the regular sites--LMC/Dennis/NPD.

I have tons of video on all this, and will share when I get my channel all set up.

Also, another '84 showed up, and I pillaged it for the cab pillars and other interior things, as well as the tension pulley for the AC. It was the first I saw had a clock. I did not take that tho. If someone wants it, I can go back, get it, and mail it if it is still there.

Cheers!

Update:

Been really busy of late...including at the suggestion of a couple folks, doing some side work on plastic restoration for others. Trying to wrap my head around all that.

Have not sent the meter to rocket man yet.

The dash is back together (I need to get a pic of it) and now the headliner and cab pillars need to be all put together. One thing I did suffer was the dome light connectors BOTH all cracked and split AGAIN. So, that set me back a few days. I had extras, and did not want to buy the rather expensive Standard replacements that are still available, so problem solved for now.

With the bench removed I can get the rest of the interior done.

I am deep into the restoration of the bench seat. LOTS of frame rust I am dealing with, but it can def. be saved.

I have finished the back and now have moved onto the seat, where there need of the moment is I need a new flex-o-lator (grid). Took me a while to track all that down. No one carries it in the regular sites--LMC/Dennis/NPD.

I have tons of video on all this, and will share when I get my channel all set up.

Also, another '84 showed up, and I pillaged it for the cab pillars and other interior things, as well as the tension pulley for the AC. It was the first I saw had a clock. I did not take that tho. If someone wants it, I can go back, get it, and mail it if it is still there.

Cheers!

Still following, but I understand doing side work for others. Life isn't ALL about Ford trucks. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Still following, but I understand doing side work for others. Life isn't ALL about Ford trucks. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I will get pics as soon as I can for what has been done.

On the side work—I am considering it. I rather like doing this stuff rather than my other p/t job. And helping others rescue and preserve knowledge of things made great makes for a lot of satisfaction.

Cheers!

I am serious about the clock btw. If anyone wants it, let me know and I will go back. I am not sure it works though.

Gary, even with your relay to ground setup you still need a source of key on power...

To avoid the relay you could unpin 654 from C610 and take it directly to ground.

Unpin 65 from that connector and tap the blower motor feed (181at C603) which is a key on 30A fused BR/OR wire.

This would put the revised voltmeter on a low resistance circuit, before any appreciable load.

Voltmeters take barely anything to budge the needle.

This second schematic is from the '81 EVTM (and I know there are some flex circuit differences) but the '80 manual format won't let me cut & paste the image.

- deleted -

Gary, even with your relay to ground setup you still need a source of key on power...

To avoid the relay you could unpin 654 from C610 and take it directly to ground.

Unpin 65 from that connector and tap the blower motor feed (181at C603) which is a key on 30A fused BR/OR wire.

This would put the revised voltmeter on a low resistance circuit, before any appreciable load.

Voltmeters take barely anything to budge the needle.

This second schematic is from the '81 EVTM (and I know there are some flex circuit differences) but the '80 manual format won't let me cut & paste the image.

Been a busy week.

I got the bench reupholstered and back in. I cannot find the pic of the seat back, but I know I have video.

Here is the bench part reupholstered though—new flex-o-lator, and I laid down a batting between the grid and the foam seat (originally did NOT have that).

Door panels are shot next, and then the interior is pretty much done.

HOWEVER, would you not know, I fired up truck yesterday because it had been sitting during all this, and my fuel gauge only went to ¾. I proceeded to ground the send wire, and the gauge shot up to F rather quick. Now, I will be dropping the tank. Any rec on a new sending unit? Mine is 19 gal btw.

Cheers!

IMG_2695.thumb.jpeg.039c52b1649c988e0c1ff322262a6baf.jpegIMG_2698.thumb.jpeg.2d54e3b9c335a6851e3da786db3f9be7.jpegIMG_2697-1.jpeg.e53e33b73d2b471f283c04b6fb85e40b.jpeg

- deleted -

If you're going to pull the sender test the gauge action across full motion.

A new float is cheap. You can even get them in brass.

I've not had luck with 'new'' senders, but Carter is better than the ones I've got from LMC & Spectra so far.

Seat looks great BTW! :nabble_smiley_good:

If you're going to pull the sender test the gauge action across full motion.

A new float is cheap. You can even get them in brass.

I've not had luck with 'new'' senders, but Carter is better than the ones I've got from LMC & Spectra so far.

Seat looks great BTW! :nabble_smiley_good:

Hey Jim,

I am not seeing any carter for my year…..I have a bit of time on this, but the timing is not the best. I knew I’d want to drop the tank sooner or later, and so I guess now is the later. I would not mind getting a new unit as I am sure this is original in it. IF it is just the float, I have an extra unit for a spare.

I see the spectra and others, then a bunch of Dormans.

Here is the seat back with one of the splits in the top foam, which I patched with foam using Lokweld. It worked great.

The upper and lower frames of the bench were rusty, so I took all the rust off, and treated with phosphoric. Repainted.

IMG_2678.thumb.jpeg.4916d2fa04d9b0028e6904aa58f8ab33.jpeg