Bullnose Forums

Diary of a Restore (Thread)

I just could not stand the way the last pic looked, so I got at the center console today. First I knocked everything down in that center part with #0000 steel wool. LIGHTLY.

Then 2 coats of SEM satin gloss. I think it turned out better—the issue is, I think, the oil in the stain…no play nice with paint/gloss.

More tomorrow—prepping the d side and back window molding for paint.

Also got the center steering wheel out for prep and restore.

Cheers everyone—dog days of summer are here!

IMG_2617.thumb.jpeg.94f2aab15e4fc1b6533b7a46945036fc.jpeg

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just could not stand the way the last pic looked, so I got at the center console today. First I knocked everything down in that center part with #0000 steel wool. LIGHTLY.

Then 2 coats of SEM satin gloss. I think it turned out better—the issue is, I think, the oil in the stain…no play nice with paint/gloss.

More tomorrow—prepping the d side and back window molding for paint.

Also got the center steering wheel out for prep and restore.

Cheers everyone—dog days of summer are here!

Is the stain kind of running? Or?

Is the stain kind of running? Or?

stain is not running, but the sludge, as per the writeup on Rosewood, is sticky. The heat does not help. If I take a soft cloth and rub it it smudges...you can kinda see that in my up close pic. I may buff this a bit after the gloss fully flashes.

Why you ask?

stain is not running, but the sludge, as per the writeup on Rosewood, is sticky. The heat does not help. If I take a soft cloth and rub it it smudges...you can kinda see that in my up close pic. I may buff this a bit after the gloss fully flashes.

Why you ask?

Just curious what is causing it. Good luck! :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Just curious what is causing it. Good luck! :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

I will say it is aggravating to get just right. The gloss peel gone, and the smudge now...it just needs to be thinned out a bit...may take nail polish to those sections tomorrow, and regloss. Touchy tho--a little removes all that stain.

It would be nice of someone sold like a veneer for this to match.....

Gonna break up the next few posts—first: the mid dash—finally got it as right as it is going to get—one thing Jonathan mentioned that I did NOT do was use a paper towel and the stain absent the pigment—once I applied all the problems went away. Considering where I began, this is a huge improvement. Learn from your mistakes!

But to back up: I #0000 the dash area that was smudging and got it to temper a bit. Then, I applied the stain liquid very carefully with a paper towel and let sit for over a day. This was the result. Blotchy stain is gone for the most part, and there is a rather nice sheen to it.

IMG_2620.thumb.jpeg.1960be7564a4ec8dcfeb45911bca29db.jpeg

Gonna break up the next few posts—first: the mid dash—finally got it as right as it is going to get—one thing Jonathan mentioned that I did NOT do was use a paper towel and the stain absent the pigment—once I applied all the problems went away. Considering where I began, this is a huge improvement. Learn from your mistakes!

But to back up: I #0000 the dash area that was smudging and got it to temper a bit. Then, I applied the stain liquid very carefully with a paper towel and let sit for over a day. This was the result. Blotchy stain is gone for the most part, and there is a rather nice sheen to it.

Today’s fabrication brought to you by a 1984 F150 that just arrived at the local pick—I was all over it.

At any rate, this put a halt in some things, and I scavenged.

The part I was looking for was E0TB-1004459-A—Called an Instrument Panel Steering Collar Opening Flange in the MPC.

The one on my truck had broken tabs, and someone drilled a screw through the face of it to hold it in place—it should have two screws below the dash plus those open tabs. Apparently these tabs break EASY. Every truck I have ever looked at had cracks, tabs missing, etc. Anyway found one today I could make a template—and that is the second pic. Will get to this tomorrow.

1) new donor truck in the graveyard.

2) tab fab

IMG_2626.thumb.jpeg.c5c08f54628dfc2d74653b7c6a44de74.jpegIMG_2627.thumb.jpeg.ee558745d1a6b4895380e64058951261.jpeg

Today’s fabrication brought to you by a 1984 F150 that just arrived at the local pick—I was all over it.

At any rate, this put a halt in some things, and I scavenged.

The part I was looking for was E0TB-1004459-A—Called an Instrument Panel Steering Collar Opening Flange in the MPC.

The one on my truck had broken tabs, and someone drilled a screw through the face of it to hold it in place—it should have two screws below the dash plus those open tabs. Apparently these tabs break EASY. Every truck I have ever looked at had cracks, tabs missing, etc. Anyway found one today I could make a template—and that is the second pic. Will get to this tomorrow.

1) new donor truck in the graveyard.

2) tab fab

D side Cab pillar repair: As with the p side, it had a hole from degraded plastic in the seat belt area. I use the tried and true fiberglass and resin. First 2 pics are of that, and also some flexible bondo where there was a bit of a gash in the plastic. Covered and sanded.

Last pic the lighting plays tricks especially when you are using SEM texture. I will say this, if you are not perfect in the application of the texture, you will see “streaks” in certain lighting—whereas straight on it looks fine. So the lighting here picks up the pattern in a way. SEM texture is great, but man does it take practice. I ended up re applying and reshooting—after some sanding to knock it down. It is only in the dimly lit corner you can see the light play with this a bit.

Also, that is Bubba—our unexpected rescue. He is a lovable big lug.

IMG_2623.thumb.jpeg.fede32b69ea64b0e925d8fe7c7db4744.jpegIMG_2624.thumb.jpeg.0efa27ecdab8f6bc71878abce34e900e.jpegIMG_2629.thumb.jpeg.84663816cf758bc954e35038a35ad2ec.jpeg

D side Cab pillar repair: As with the p side, it had a hole from degraded plastic in the seat belt area. I use the tried and true fiberglass and resin. First 2 pics are of that, and also some flexible bondo where there was a bit of a gash in the plastic. Covered and sanded.

Last pic the lighting plays tricks especially when you are using SEM texture. I will say this, if you are not perfect in the application of the texture, you will see “streaks” in certain lighting—whereas straight on it looks fine. So the lighting here picks up the pattern in a way. SEM texture is great, but man does it take practice. I ended up re applying and reshooting—after some sanding to knock it down. It is only in the dimly lit corner you can see the light play with this a bit.

Also, that is Bubba—our unexpected rescue. He is a lovable big lug.

Looking good! But is that polyester or epoxy resin? What sticks the best on this stuff? You've probably said but I've forgotten. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Bubba looks content. But as I was scrolling down your post and saw what looked like a dog under plastic right below the corner hutch and I was worried! However, a little more scrolling and there was Bubba, chillin'. :nabble_smiley_good:

Looking good! But is that polyester or epoxy resin? What sticks the best on this stuff? You've probably said but I've forgotten. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Bubba looks content. But as I was scrolling down your post and saw what looked like a dog under plastic right below the corner hutch and I was worried! However, a little more scrolling and there was Bubba, chillin'. :nabble_smiley_good:

I use epoxy resin for many reasons. The biggest is that it is used on surfboards. It is UV resistant, and repels water. Polyester does NOT do either. The Epoxy also is harder. So far expect for one spot there is slightly pulled away, it has done well by me in any environment—plastic, foam, metal.