Bullnose Forums

Diary of a Restore (Thread)

A Little Before/after on dash. I still have two indicators to glue into place, but essentially, it is done.

Oh, I used the silver paint here, and the nail swabs from the Rosewood write-up. I ROLLED the swab—I did not paint in a brush motion. The author of that piece (Jonathan?) is correct—these are the swabs to use.

However, I used SEM satin gloss over it ALL. I experienced no issues with the silver.

Anyway, FWIW:

Looking great! Really well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, cab pillar today—It recently started to downpour here, so had to stop for the day, and also had to repair part of the pillar so waiting for it to dry and cure.

I stripped it of all the paint, sanded, and sanded, and…you get the idea. Nice and light, not aggressive sanding. No more than 100, and no finer than 180.

You will see a fiberglass patch here. I did that on the backside, and then on the side that had the hole, filled it with resin and sanded. It came from the Pick this way with a hole in it right above the seat belt opening—degraded plastic and mealy. Beggars cannot be choosers—do you know how difficult it is to find the right cab pillar?! If I could find others, I would snag them, but never have since that time. The previous owners trashed all the inside plastic and liners/healiner, etc., so, I had to rebuild.

Anyway Will shoot the paint tomorrow, assuming my resin sets and does not separate. There looks like a small patch that did not take, so, I may have to cut that out carefully with a dremel tomorrow. IF the resin separates, which it can, I will need to scuff up the inside plastic with a wire brush to provide grab and then reapply.

Pics! 👇

Very nice!

So, cab pillar today—It recently started to downpour here, so had to stop for the day, and also had to repair part of the pillar so waiting for it to dry and cure.

I stripped it of all the paint, sanded, and sanded, and…you get the idea. Nice and light, not aggressive sanding. No more than 100, and no finer than 180.

You will see a fiberglass patch here. I did that on the backside, and then on the side that had the hole, filled it with resin and sanded. It came from the Pick this way with a hole in it right above the seat belt opening—degraded plastic and mealy. Beggars cannot be choosers—do you know how difficult it is to find the right cab pillar?! If I could find others, I would snag them, but never have since that time. The previous owners trashed all the inside plastic and liners/healiner, etc., so, I had to rebuild.

Anyway Will shoot the paint tomorrow, assuming my resin sets and does not separate. There looks like a small patch that did not take, so, I may have to cut that out carefully with a dremel tomorrow. IF the resin separates, which it can, I will need to scuff up the inside plastic with a wire brush to provide grab and then reapply.

Pics! 👇

Nice and clean artist’s job!

:nabble_anim_claps:

Nice and clean artist’s job!

Finished the cab pillar, the glove box and vents, plus the metal molding on upper P side cab. Gonna need to order more paint and flexible primer. Shot SOME texture on the pillar—the mealy plastic peeled off in parts to make it smooth, so tried to blend.

May need another coat of napa red after it fully flashes. Looks streaky at the moment, tho could be the lighting. Cross molding between the pillars, on bottom, you can just see some pinholes in paint—will touch that up. Not sure what caused it but it is metal not plastic so maybe…. Also, found some great felt to use for the vents that they used OEM. Hit me up if you want a link.

Up next P side door molding, and starting to prep P side cab dash for paint in situ. That means dash coming off this week, and I have to start seriously thinking about a fabbed grill.

IMG_2604.thumb.jpeg.20e000db388efdc85c1751581279e28c.jpegIMG_2606.thumb.jpeg.60863d6efe52c2001b510076ea9492b4.jpegIMG_2607.thumb.jpeg.9bca7c5a3ae9cd36856136df90f06e5f.jpeg

Finished the cab pillar, the glove box and vents, plus the metal molding on upper P side cab. Gonna need to order more paint and flexible primer. Shot SOME texture on the pillar—the mealy plastic peeled off in parts to make it smooth, so tried to blend.

May need another coat of napa red after it fully flashes. Looks streaky at the moment, tho could be the lighting. Cross molding between the pillars, on bottom, you can just see some pinholes in paint—will touch that up. Not sure what caused it but it is metal not plastic so maybe…. Also, found some great felt to use for the vents that they used OEM. Hit me up if you want a link.

Up next P side door molding, and starting to prep P side cab dash for paint in situ. That means dash coming off this week, and I have to start seriously thinking about a fabbed grill.

Looking great! Yes, it may be the lighting, but then the lighting in the truck won't be very good, so maybe it won't show? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Looking great! Really well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

Got the oringinal stereo/air panel dash off today and compared tothe one that was in the truck when bought—I cannot believe it, but the previous owners painted black over the rosewood. That means it is ruined, because there is no way to peel the black off and take the rosewood with it. I cannot use it anyway because they chopped it up for a modern radio. But painting over the rosewood…why please tell me why?? :nabble_smiley_sad:

OK, so the original rosewood replacement, yep, has a broken tab. This is more problematic than the pillar tab repair because it is a clean break. So, fabbed up the mesh and elongated it in the back, melted it juuuust a bit for bit, then melted extra plastic into it, then resin with some strands of fiberglass.

Also, gotta repair some of that rosewood with a marker and stain. I will shoot the black satin again to bring back the black, then silver! Then the satin gloss.

Pics!

IMG_2610.thumb.jpeg.65097d726d750720a2c81550fa5234ca.jpegIMG_2613.thumb.jpeg.5fb0afa2e14fa9cd00e17d60efdb3cfc.jpegIMG_2609.thumb.jpeg.4c6d35684f0f1923b4a91720aaf49651.jpeg

Got the oringinal stereo/air panel dash off today and compared tothe one that was in the truck when bought—I cannot believe it, but the previous owners painted black over the rosewood. That means it is ruined, because there is no way to peel the black off and take the rosewood with it. I cannot use it anyway because they chopped it up for a modern radio. But painting over the rosewood…why please tell me why?? :nabble_smiley_sad:

OK, so the original rosewood replacement, yep, has a broken tab. This is more problematic than the pillar tab repair because it is a clean break. So, fabbed up the mesh and elongated it in the back, melted it juuuust a bit for bit, then melted extra plastic into it, then resin with some strands of fiberglass.

Also, gotta repair some of that rosewood with a marker and stain. I will shoot the black satin again to bring back the black, then silver! Then the satin gloss.

Pics!

If anyone can do it, you can. :nabble_anim_claps:

But it must be some kind of special sin to paint over Rosewood. :nabble_smiley_evil:

OK, got the mid dash pretty much done today. Tab turned out great. What you see is after it is sanded, and painted. ALMOST looks original.

Onto the D side cab pillar, and molding around back window. More paint on the way, so should be able to finish all that this week.

I have some 1/8” ABS plastic coming—time to get creative on a dash grille, and not sure I can create anything that will hold and work, but gonna try.

So Dash and headliner off this week I think. Got the minor holes in dash where someone screwed in likely a CB mic, filled and sanded. Pic on that later in the week. Saving the dash cluster for last as I move painting from P to D.

IMG_2616_copy.jpeg.48072823402d6257f722fdff38da76f3.jpegIMG_2616.thumb.jpeg.5c5532b30456f89762bc70dcbe0dce36.jpeg

OK, got the mid dash pretty much done today. Tab turned out great. What you see is after it is sanded, and painted. ALMOST looks original.

Onto the D side cab pillar, and molding around back window. More paint on the way, so should be able to finish all that this week.

I have some 1/8” ABS plastic coming—time to get creative on a dash grille, and not sure I can create anything that will hold and work, but gonna try.

So Dash and headliner off this week I think. Got the minor holes in dash where someone screwed in likely a CB mic, filled and sanded. Pic on that later in the week. Saving the dash cluster for last as I move painting from P to D.

I need to blend the rosewood more. The thing about whatever they have on it, it that it peels and unsticks--the gloss they had on it also lifts. Makes for a crappy pic in the last one there...but at arm's length, it looks great. May play around with it more to see if I can get it to lay down more.

I think the black satin and gloss laid down neatly (I taped off the rosewood for the black sections). The rosewood still looks a little rough to me.