Bullnose Forums

Diary of a Restore (Thread)

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I would drop a post on what the HiPo lights/packaging looks like—needle paint for Ford included here:

Here ya go Gary:

OK, a couple of posts coming. First, this one--the tab restore. I essentially learned how to do it from Polyvance (or they gave me the idea)

Pics you see front and back of the rebuild tab, after I sanded it down with a wheel barrel sander on the dremel. LOW SPEED always.

Then I drilled the hole carefully and touched up sanding a skosh more. This is the end result.

IMG_2563.thumb.jpeg.ce183f3a848e2b2237773ffed08f70e7.jpegIMG_2564.thumb.jpeg.ad7c83ef94892d41dd5f6efb5f23f09a.jpeg

Here ya go Gary:

OK, a couple of posts coming. First, this one--the tab restore. I essentially learned how to do it from Polyvance (or they gave me the idea)

Pics you see front and back of the rebuild tab, after I sanded it down with a wheel barrel sander on the dremel. LOW SPEED always.

Then I drilled the hole carefully and touched up sanding a skosh more. This is the end result.

That tab looks great! And it is a lot stronger, I'm sure. :nabble_anim_claps:

Here ya go Gary:

Went full on to get the pillars done today, and of course, I ran into a problem. First pic is the original pillars I found at pic a year ago…the process to SEM is the second pic going right to left—wash, rinse, prep, wipe, adhesion (2 coats), prime (2 coats)… (I did not need texture, that will come with the dash repair, of which, I still need to figure out a speaker grille fab).

The issue was, one of the pillars when I was sanding after the two coats of primer, had a hairline crack. So, the next pic is my repair—I like using fiberglass and resin. It works great on plastic. I will be sanding that inside part of the crack tomorrow. Likely use some glaze to cover the crack a bit. Now I could have used Superglue and backing soda and a popsicle stick—if you have not tried that method, you should keep it in the back of your mind—it really works and makes a seal—like you could repair buckets, and under pressure stuff like pool pumps!, etc., using that method.

But fiberglass flexes and the plastic moulding is thinner, so I chose the Surf Board patch method.

Finally the paint on the one pillar. And, yes, it looks like I am going to have to go darker. So, I stopped and have a can coming.

One thing I will say: the SEM stuff is worth the money. I had no fisheye, no dry spray, and the SATIN finish makes it look like OEM. Highly recommend.

end of week for repaint. Will post on that then. To the pics! 👇

IMG_2565.thumb.jpeg.d85298f98d5bece1b96b40246e593342.jpegIMG_2566.thumb.jpeg.b04bb3caf5c324f0a98a7cf2fce6d3b3.jpegIMG_2568.thumb.jpeg.7f817885353a2b506324eebda1fc458b.jpegIMG_2569.thumb.jpeg.52adf51865b9b6dc039fda443c4d9430.jpegIMG_2570.thumb.jpeg.90372921f6a405e00a49ab4f945e965d.jpeg

Went full on to get the pillars done today, and of course, I ran into a problem. First pic is the original pillars I found at pic a year ago…the process to SEM is the second pic going right to left—wash, rinse, prep, wipe, adhesion (2 coats), prime (2 coats)… (I did not need texture, that will come with the dash repair, of which, I still need to figure out a speaker grille fab).

The issue was, one of the pillars when I was sanding after the two coats of primer, had a hairline crack. So, the next pic is my repair—I like using fiberglass and resin. It works great on plastic. I will be sanding that inside part of the crack tomorrow. Likely use some glaze to cover the crack a bit. Now I could have used Superglue and backing soda and a popsicle stick—if you have not tried that method, you should keep it in the back of your mind—it really works and makes a seal—like you could repair buckets, and under pressure stuff like pool pumps!, etc., using that method.

But fiberglass flexes and the plastic moulding is thinner, so I chose the Surf Board patch method.

Finally the paint on the one pillar. And, yes, it looks like I am going to have to go darker. So, I stopped and have a can coming.

One thing I will say: the SEM stuff is worth the money. I had no fisheye, no dry spray, and the SATIN finish makes it look like OEM. Highly recommend.

end of week for repaint. Will post on that then. To the pics! 👇

Thanks for documenting your process and progress. It'll help others. :nabble_anim_handshake:

And your repair looks really strong. But I see what you mean about using a popsicle stick as in your closeup there's a level difference on the edge at the crack and the stick would probably eliminate that if you clamped it.

Thanks for documenting your process and progress. It'll help others. :nabble_anim_handshake:

And your repair looks really strong. But I see what you mean about using a popsicle stick as in your closeup there's a level difference on the edge at the crack and the stick would probably eliminate that if you clamped it.

Hey Gary,

Yes, I think you are right…I went out and looked at it just now. I will need to do something, because the ever so slight crack on that edge shows. Ugh! Will post on how I do that success or no this week.

Oh and on the super glue and baking soda—this is really fabulous:

Just thought I would drop a post on what the HiPo lights/packaging looks like—needle paint for Ford included here:

Went to NCS today—they are the local auto paint supplier that took good care of me when I painted the truck last year. They carry SEM. We matched up the paint from an original piece, and we have a match. Here is the piece I painted with Portolo, and repainted with NAPA today.

Second pic is of the crack repair—using an autobody glaze. Light Sanding tomorrow and maybe reapplication, then retouch with primer, and then paint with SEM Napa.

That SEM paint really lays down well.

IMG_2571.thumb.jpeg.cce7fdb5b53b0f23a30f1ad23bd7f1b8.jpegIMG_2572.thumb.jpeg.c3e329281aa18e448bdf7f74ae95036e.jpeg

Went to NCS today—they are the local auto paint supplier that took good care of me when I painted the truck last year. They carry SEM. We matched up the paint from an original piece, and we have a match. Here is the piece I painted with Portolo, and repainted with NAPA today.

Second pic is of the crack repair—using an autobody glaze. Light Sanding tomorrow and maybe reapplication, then retouch with primer, and then paint with SEM Napa.

That SEM paint really lays down well.

Looks good! And I agree that SEM lays down well. It is really hard to get it to run.

Crack repair looks great as well. :nabble_smiley_good:

Looks good! And I agree that SEM lays down well. It is really hard to get it to run.

Crack repair looks great as well. :nabble_smiley_good:

I will be able to tell on crack tomorrow. I am picky and can still see a line.....but...we shall see. Your encouragement always the best.

Cheers!

More pics tomorrow or next day on crack fix.