Bullnose Forums

Diary of a Restore (Thread)

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that is very well done!

Another meaningless update:

While I am waiting on a few things—the Lokweld is on the way, and the dash cluster is stuck in San Jose…went to the bog box to grab some chemicals and chip brushes, tape off paper, etc. Saw a 52” x 24 workbench. I have no table in my small garage—only my 1980 triple stack Craftsman tool box. Over the last 2 years, I have accumulated a lot of tools. The box was overflowing into a makeshift dresser.

Anyway, saw this—it was 598 on sale from 698. They had two and at the store is was on fire for 398. I had one of those 12 month no interest coupons and snagged it. I want a bench to rework the bench seat upholstery.

It arrived, and when I unwrapped it…UGH. Huge ding. Something heavy slammed into the box. I called for a pickup and redrop. Kinda wanted it pristine. But then I pushed some of the dent back and got the silver handle nearly realigned. Offered them to keep it for 200. So, walla! Got it for 198. Despite the still visible ding (covered by my Summit sticker held on by magnets), not a bad deal I would say. It is not perfect, but it works in my tight space.

Pics are the original ding, and then the placement after fixing most of it. Might do more fixing/rivet a couple sections.

IMG_2548.thumb.jpeg.157b99b75e1fdbbbaad9a665e977d5b2.jpegIMG_2549.thumb.jpeg.3609ab8cf4c8d484a11a30f114e80bec.jpegIMG_2551.thumb.jpeg.24912d763773284cbf0d94e667a340b0.jpeg

Another meaningless update:

While I am waiting on a few things—the Lokweld is on the way, and the dash cluster is stuck in San Jose…went to the bog box to grab some chemicals and chip brushes, tape off paper, etc. Saw a 52” x 24 workbench. I have no table in my small garage—only my 1980 triple stack Craftsman tool box. Over the last 2 years, I have accumulated a lot of tools. The box was overflowing into a makeshift dresser.

Anyway, saw this—it was 598 on sale from 698. They had two and at the store is was on fire for 398. I had one of those 12 month no interest coupons and snagged it. I want a bench to rework the bench seat upholstery.

It arrived, and when I unwrapped it…UGH. Huge ding. Something heavy slammed into the box. I called for a pickup and redrop. Kinda wanted it pristine. But then I pushed some of the dent back and got the silver handle nearly realigned. Offered them to keep it for 200. So, walla! Got it for 198. Despite the still visible ding (covered by my Summit sticker held on by magnets), not a bad deal I would say. It is not perfect, but it works in my tight space.

Pics are the original ding, and then the placement after fixing most of it. Might do more fixing/rivet a couple sections.

I understand where you are coming from. I have a Craftsman toolbox that I ordered and when it got here a panel was bent. I explained and they send a new panel. Long story short, they were incapable of packaging it so it wouldn't be bent, so after the 3rd panel came in I gave up and kept it. Don't remember the discount, but it was steep.

I've now used that toolbox for many years and have added a few dents of my own. It was a very good buy and has served well, and I'm sure yours will be everything you need, and at a very good price. :nabble_smiley_good:

I understand where you are coming from. I have a Craftsman toolbox that I ordered and when it got here a panel was bent. I explained and they send a new panel. Long story short, they were incapable of packaging it so it wouldn't be bent, so after the 3rd panel came in I gave up and kept it. Don't remember the discount, but it was steep.

I've now used that toolbox for many years and have added a few dents of my own. It was a very good buy and has served well, and I'm sure yours will be everything you need, and at a very good price. :nabble_smiley_good:

Not Ideal of course, and I would love to have it pristine, but, I got it mostly correct…may tweak it some more. The price slash was the only thing that makes it worth considering. Cheers Gary!

While I am waiting for the dash cluster to come today, I took the truck out for the first time at night—actually drove it to and from work. I never knew how DIM the dash lights were until last night.

Gary has a nice thread here: https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Instrument-Lighting-Paint-Testing-tp52526.html

While I usually prefer incandescent Gary has convinced me I need to seriously consider HIPO. And you know, since I am there, might as well fluorescent the needles too. I like how bright the lights are. At full blast last night I could hardly see anything in the panel.

It is going to be spendy—7 bulbs. I will keep the normal incandescent for the signals atop.

My question is: do you remove the blue encasings that surround the bulb inside the dash? It appears Gary did just that. That allows the color white to flow through better and brighter?

Also while I am there, might as well get a new instrument regulator. Cannot believe how old this part is, but from all I can tell it is: D1AZ-10804-A 1971!!!!!!!

While I am waiting for the dash cluster to come today, I took the truck out for the first time at night—actually drove it to and from work. I never knew how DIM the dash lights were until last night.

Gary has a nice thread here: https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Instrument-Lighting-Paint-Testing-tp52526.html

While I usually prefer incandescent Gary has convinced me I need to seriously consider HIPO. And you know, since I am there, might as well fluorescent the needles too. I like how bright the lights are. At full blast last night I could hardly see anything in the panel.

It is going to be spendy—7 bulbs. I will keep the normal incandescent for the signals atop.

My question is: do you remove the blue encasings that surround the bulb inside the dash? It appears Gary did just that. That allows the color white to flow through better and brighter?

Also while I am there, might as well get a new instrument regulator. Cannot believe how old this part is, but from all I can tell it is: D1AZ-10804-A 1971!!!!!!!

Yes, take the blue filters out. They are now more opaque than translucent and not only change the color of the light but also significantly reduce the amount of it.

But if you like blue then you could go with the HIPO blue LEDs.

As for the ICVR, yes they are OLD! And archaic in design. So you should replace it with something much better, like this one from Dennis Carpenter.

Yes, take the blue filters out. They are now more opaque than translucent and not only change the color of the light but also significantly reduce the amount of it.

But if you like blue then you could go with the HIPO blue LEDs.

As for the ICVR, yes they are OLD! And archaic in design. So you should replace it with something much better, like this one from Dennis Carpenter.

Thanks Gary!

I misspoke about the number of lights—that’s for the dummy gauge dash—Mine has 5. And I am definitely removing those blue covers. I really like the look you captured. Thanks for sharing all that.

Oh and thanks for the DC link—I was going to check them. They are essentially local, and have been VERY good to me.

And my Cluster came this afternoon!

IMG_2553.thumb.jpeg.fc8004258766c6d4886009f3b18bb608.jpegIMG_2554.thumb.jpeg.d7005beccd58eb510b68c103b1590eec.jpeg