Bullnose Forums

Diary of a Restore (Thread)

I think it is wise to put a speedi sleeve on. At least you'll have peace of mind.

Are the nuts deformed? Meaning kind of flattened a bit? If so they are "prevailing torque" and don't go on easily.

I have new Dana 50 nuts coming (the 4 eared kind). These are like 6 ear Dana 60s I think someone else put on. BUT, I will try to get a shot of the threads on the spindle tomorrow for ya'll. On that, the threads look buggered. Not to the point you cannot get a nut on, but enough to make the initial start a bit of a bear.

Pulled the knuckle, camber sleeve, pressed out the ball joints, pressed out the ujoint from the outer shaft. No breaking of the u joint caps this time! However, the needles were all dry, which means, my early greasing of the joints right after I got the truck were not feeding into the caps.

wire brushed all parts, and started the rust treatment.

So, the issue remaines, the Dana 50ifs stub/yoke shaft. I consulted the SM, and found a Dana 50 maintenance manual (Helpful, but not for my predicament). Basically they both say, remove retaining plate, pull shaft. Mine has play but it stops when it hits something.

How the D50s post 1983 ½ had a retaining clip in the pumpkin—imagine the only way to replace a seal is to drop the whole thing!

Mine is not supposed to have a c clip internal.

So I am back to that seal which is pressed in—I think if anything is stopping the pull that would be it, but I dunno for sure. Maybe I get a slide hammer and hook onto the ujoint section somehow?????

Pics follow. Will try to get a shot with the retaining plate NOT in the way. Also, will get a shot of the TK kit so you can see the bearing and seal—bearing and race are one unit locked together. Original? Looks separate, which makes the pulling of the race another issue. But I have want to AT LEAST replace that bad seal.

IMG_2486.thumb.jpeg.1d99c690931af1c5e0cb400280093308.jpegIMG_2487.thumb.jpeg.ee69969dfd9a892b9273bc1d216beee4.jpeg

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the Dana 50 IFS service manual—Maybe Gary can make it available to all in his docs section?

http://www.billavista.com/tech/pdf_index/files/Axles%20and%20Gears/Dana%20Spicer/5326%20Service%20Manual%20Model%2050%20IFS%20.pdf

Thanks! :nabble_anim_handshake:

It is now on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Axles & Differentials and then the Front Axles tab followed by the Instructions tab. And finally the D50 tab.

The only change I've made is to optically character recognize (OCR) it so it can be searched for a word or number.

OK, what a day!

I went to work on the truck at 9am and tried everything to move that pass side shaft out—yanking on nylon straps attached to the ujoint section, slide hammer, etc. I probed the seal area too…nada.

None made it budge.

Then decided to fab something up as a last shot at it. I made a plate to pull my 5th gear on the Harley transmission. I used that for the pressure point of the ball joint tool. Then wrapped the ujoint with a small chain and bolted it together with a 5/16 grade 8 looping it around the other end of the ball joint tool. Pic below.

Started slow. Tried to make sure I was not pulling at an angle. Anyway, impacted it for a while on the low setting. As I went to crawl under to check it out…it popped out! Boy am I glad I pulled it. Bearing was so bad—well see the vid.

IMG_2489.thumb.jpeg.60ec36c0d4c6921b76d5a933357dce79.jpegIMG_2490.thumb.jpeg.a1934c8ae7f02eecea1cbfe4103ec808.jpegIMG_2493.thumb.jpeg.8b99870a5ea68e3df248a582527ef060.jpeg

OK, what a day!

I went to work on the truck at 9am and tried everything to move that pass side shaft out—yanking on nylon straps attached to the ujoint section, slide hammer, etc. I probed the seal area too…nada.

None made it budge.

Then decided to fab something up as a last shot at it. I made a plate to pull my 5th gear on the Harley transmission. I used that for the pressure point of the ball joint tool. Then wrapped the ujoint with a small chain and bolted it together with a 5/16 grade 8 looping it around the other end of the ball joint tool. Pic below.

Started slow. Tried to make sure I was not pulling at an angle. Anyway, impacted it for a while on the low setting. As I went to crawl under to check it out…it popped out! Boy am I glad I pulled it. Bearing was so bad—well see the vid.

Boy you are right! "This is a bad bearing." And seal. Sure glad you pulled it. :nabble_smiley_good:

OK, what a day!

None made it budge.

Dang!

Good job!

Got to the stub shaft I pulled today.

I drilled the collar, not touching the shaft, and tried to chisel it off. Nada. Maybe because I needed a bigger chisel?

Anyway, I cut the outer bearing, and unwrapped it from the bearings. That allowed me to use my apron plates to corral the collar and press it out on the floor press.

The inner bearing part easily came off with a brass drift. Here is what was underneath—a cutoff wheel mark. :nabble_smiley_angry: So this shaft has been out before. I also noticed a lot of hammering divots.:nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Also, the section there the seal runs has a deep line cut into it. Question is keep this and can I redi sleeve it? OR get a new one. Other than the markings on it and the wheel mark, I am not so sure it is unusable….anyway suggestions welcome.

Also, please insert Florida jokes here. Gary, you are up first.

IMG_2494.thumb.jpeg.5528f5aa4467193525ee5d4d4f216461.jpegIMG_2495.thumb.jpeg.d2d783aa0f5b6a94ee073cf15e6904f4.jpegIMG_2496.thumb.jpeg.35ced4c37928a151c91fcadc59e0e6c8.jpeg

Got to the stub shaft I pulled today.

I drilled the collar, not touching the shaft, and tried to chisel it off. Nada. Maybe because I needed a bigger chisel?

Anyway, I cut the outer bearing, and unwrapped it from the bearings. That allowed me to use my apron plates to corral the collar and press it out on the floor press.

The inner bearing part easily came off with a brass drift. Here is what was underneath—a cutoff wheel mark. :nabble_smiley_angry: So this shaft has been out before. I also noticed a lot of hammering divots.:nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Also, the section there the seal runs has a deep line cut into it. Question is keep this and can I redi sleeve it? OR get a new one. Other than the markings on it and the wheel mark, I am not so sure it is unusable….anyway suggestions welcome.

Also, please insert Florida jokes here. Gary, you are up first.

Yep, :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: has been there before. But I think a redi sleeve might save it. And I don't think I'd worry about the divots.

And the invitation is one I can't ignore:

• The Florida man accused of stealing a truck full of $75,000 with of Campbell's soup is finally going to trial...

I, for one, hope they lock him up for M'm! M'm! Good!!!

• Florida Man calls 911

Operator: "911, what's your emergency?"

Florida Man: "Hello ma'am, me and my buddy Jackson were out duck hunting, when a big gator came out of the water and attacked us. It bit up my leg real good, then it dragged Jackson under the water, but I scared it off with my shotgun."

O: "Okay, an ambulance is on its way. Other than your leg, are you alright?"

FM: "Yes ma'am."

O: "What about Jackson?"

FM: "Well, I pulled him up out of the water, but I think he's dead!"

O: "Can you make sure?"

FM: "Yes ma'am, I can."

[there is a pause, then the crack of a gunshot]

FM: "Alright ma'am, I made sure he's dead. Now when is that ambulance gonna get here?"

Yep, :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: has been there before. But I think a redi sleeve might save it. And I don't think I'd worry about the divots.

And the invitation is one I can't ignore:

• The Florida man accused of stealing a truck full of $75,000 with of Campbell's soup is finally going to trial...

I, for one, hope they lock him up for M'm! M'm! Good!!!

• Florida Man calls 911

Operator: "911, what's your emergency?"

Florida Man: "Hello ma'am, me and my buddy Jackson were out duck hunting, when a big gator came out of the water and attacked us. It bit up my leg real good, then it dragged Jackson under the water, but I scared it off with my shotgun."

O: "Okay, an ambulance is on its way. Other than your leg, are you alright?"

FM: "Yes ma'am."

O: "What about Jackson?"

FM: "Well, I pulled him up out of the water, but I think he's dead!"

O: "Can you make sure?"

FM: "Yes ma'am, I can."

[there is a pause, then the crack of a gunshot]

FM: "Alright ma'am, I made sure he's dead. Now when is that ambulance gonna get here?"

This Florida Man joke remembers me another we have here:

Moose hunting accident, the valid guy takes his shot friend to the hospital emergency.

After waiting about the doctor, this latter comes back:

— Hey Doc, I shot my friend, I swear, this was an accident! Will he survive?

— Well, maybe I could have saved him, if you have not emptied him before taking him here...

:nabble_smiley_whistling: