Bullnose Forums

Diary of a Restore (Thread)

Update:

Yes, I am still here, and no the bike is not fixed yet—tore down a bit of it though. I have been assembling all the parts needed, and then I bought a new toy after pricing out some of the pressing I will need to do. Same as just buying a floor press. So, I did that! Put 5” casters on it. Will be useful for my truck too, so I decided, hell with it…gonna get it.

Yes, I have a lot of books, and yes my books and shelves are in the garage. One day, I aspire to move them into a bigger house, and buy a lift like I think Gary has!

Hope everyone is well!

Oh, I had another Home depot classic auto encounter—will post—not a Ford though, but something quite rarely seen.

Update:

I am over half way thru the rebuild of the clutch and trans of the Harley. The thing about tearing something down like this is, well while I am here, I might as well…..[fill in blank].

So, I am going to replace the original oil lines, etc., while everything out of the way. But, the trans gears are coming off this week, to replace the main shaft which got cooked, and caused all my Harley issues with the clutch.

Anyway, I am antsy to get back to the Ford. I am still concerned about pulling the front shafts to replace the u joints, but it has to be done. I have ALL the parts I know I need. The Harley issue really caused a chink in my timeline.

At any rate, found one of these for CHEAP and got it just in case. I see new brakes in my future and an not sure mine is work exactly right as the back brakes still lock up intermittently—which could be a number of issues I understand. But, I could not pass up the price for this.

Cheers Everyone.

IMG_2412.thumb.jpeg.5703be0c30a9bd477eaa4f3fff876b5a.jpeg

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

I am over half way thru the rebuild of the clutch and trans of the Harley. The thing about tearing something down like this is, well while I am here, I might as well…..[fill in blank].

So, I am going to replace the original oil lines, etc., while everything out of the way. But, the trans gears are coming off this week, to replace the main shaft which got cooked, and caused all my Harley issues with the clutch.

Anyway, I am antsy to get back to the Ford. I am still concerned about pulling the front shafts to replace the u joints, but it has to be done. I have ALL the parts I know I need. The Harley issue really caused a chink in my timeline.

At any rate, found one of these for CHEAP and got it just in case. I see new brakes in my future and an not sure mine is work exactly right as the back brakes still lock up intermittently—which could be a number of issues I understand. But, I could not pass up the price for this.

Cheers Everyone.

Good luck on the Harley. Sounds like a lot of work. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

And if you got one of those for cheap you did well. I doubt that is the problem with locking up, but it sure won't hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Cheers Everyone.

Hey all,

Just an update.

I am putting the Harley back together. I had to change the clutch hub AND the main shaft of the trans. I had to dissemble all the gears and then reinstall them (on both shafts! Harley has a small counter shaft which I could save).

Checking the shifting, pressing on races bearings and seals. I essentially replaced ALL the bearings in the tranny. The only thing I did not change in the trans was the gears and shifter forks/drum. Essentially, I did an overhaul.

IF everything goes well, and I did not mess anything up, Should be back onto the Ford in 2 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Just an update.

I am putting the Harley back together. I had to change the clutch hub AND the main shaft of the trans. I had to dissemble all the gears and then reinstall them (on both shafts! Harley has a small counter shaft which I could save).

Checking the shifting, pressing on races bearings and seals. I essentially replaced ALL the bearings in the tranny. The only thing I did not change in the trans was the gears and shifter forks/drum. Essentially, I did an overhaul.

IF everything goes well, and I did not mess anything up, Should be back onto the Ford in 2 weeks.

This weekend, the Harley was finished, and I took it out for a short and gentle spin, shifting through all the gears, but staying close to home, you know, just in case I messed something up.

So, all seems well, and I cleaned up preparing for my Ford project, which I likely will not start until this coming friday.

To remind: I am tackling the front shafts, pulling them, and replacing the u joints. D-side shaft joint is completely shot and rattles—needles likely all fallen out.

I have new bearings, seals, etc, in a large box that has been sitting idle for months now—took me 2 months to fix the Harley. Glad to be back at the Ford again.

If anyone has ideas on how to pull the shaft, let me know. I hear it can be a real pain.

This weekend, the Harley was finished, and I took it out for a short and gentle spin, shifting through all the gears, but staying close to home, you know, just in case I messed something up.

So, all seems well, and I cleaned up preparing for my Ford project, which I likely will not start until this coming friday.

To remind: I am tackling the front shafts, pulling them, and replacing the u joints. D-side shaft joint is completely shot and rattles—needles likely all fallen out.

I have new bearings, seals, etc, in a large box that has been sitting idle for months now—took me 2 months to fix the Harley. Glad to be back at the Ford again.

If anyone has ideas on how to pull the shaft, let me know. I hear it can be a real pain.

Yippee! One problem down, more to go!

Glad the Harley is working and you can now move on to the Ford. And if I haven't told you how I pulled the left shaft out of Dad's front end, it was by loading the diff on a set of casters, tying the axle to the leg of the lift with a chain, and taking the slack out of the chain rapidly. It took several goes, but it finally popped loose. Basically a slide hammer, but using the weight of the diff as the hammer and wheels as he slide.

Glad the Harley is working and you can now move on to the Ford. And if I haven't told you how I pulled the left shaft out of Dad's front end, it was by loading the diff on a set of casters, tying the axle to the leg of the lift with a chain, and taking the slack out of the chain rapidly. It took several goes, but it finally popped loose. Basically a slide hammer, but using the weight of the diff as the hammer and wheels as he slide.

That would mean, of course, dropping the pumpkin. Yes?

I am hoping to avoid that, but this needs be done because 4 wheel is not functional as it sits now.

I need to refamiliarize myself with the SM on this issue to see how all this is held in.

Cheers Gary.

That would mean, of course, dropping the pumpkin. Yes?

I am hoping to avoid that, but this needs be done because 4 wheel is not functional as it sits now.

I need to refamiliarize myself with the SM on this issue to see how all this is held in.

Cheers Gary.

I have the drivers side of my Dana 50 apart right now as well. My axel shaft pulled right out with no issues. No need to pull the pumpkin. However, pulling the slip joint apart on the passenger side was another story. The grease was like glue. It took a few minutes of moving it pack and forth sharply to get it to come apart.

Oddly enough, my u-joint on the drivers side was shot as well. I am replacing the axel pivot bushing, u-joint, upper and lower ball joints, all seals, and the small bushing in the front shackle. Oh, and a new spring.

The next thing I will tackle is the axel shaft seal on the drivers side of the pumpkin. I am going to attempt to do it without removing the pumpkin. Should get to it this week. I plan to use a slide hammer and a hook to remove the seal. To install the new seal I am planning on using a seal driver with a 2 foot piece of pipe over the handle so I can pound it in. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I have the drivers side of my Dana 50 apart right now as well. My axel shaft pulled right out with no issues. No need to pull the pumpkin. However, pulling the slip joint apart on the passenger side was another story. The grease was like glue. It took a few minutes of moving it pack and forth sharply to get it to come apart.

Oddly enough, my u-joint on the drivers side was shot as well. I am replacing the axel pivot bushing, u-joint, upper and lower ball joints, all seals, and the small bushing in the front shackle. Oh, and a new spring.

The next thing I will tackle is the axel shaft seal on the drivers side of the pumpkin. I am going to attempt to do it without removing the pumpkin. Should get to it this week. I plan to use a slide hammer and a hook to remove the seal. To install the new seal I am planning on using a seal driver with a 2 foot piece of pipe over the handle so I can pound it in. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Hey there Atlas!

I HOPE mine comes out like that!

It is funny, before my bike took a dive, I was thinking about that seal, which is deep in there on the axle arm assembly. I was thinking about fabbing up something like you mention—long pipe or some such.

I may be digging into those ball joints too, and the camber adjuster. I have not ordered those parts yet because I was unsure if I was going to tackle it and I am unsure of the condition. But, while I am there….

Plz share pics if you have them—do you have a thread on this?

Hey there Atlas!

I HOPE mine comes out like that!

It is funny, before my bike took a dive, I was thinking about that seal, which is deep in there on the axle arm assembly. I was thinking about fabbing up something like you mention—long pipe or some such.

I may be digging into those ball joints too, and the camber adjuster. I have not ordered those parts yet because I was unsure if I was going to tackle it and I am unsure of the condition. But, while I am there….

Plz share pics if you have them—do you have a thread on this?

Hot on it as of Yesterday. Took parts inventory. I discovered I need a few more seals, and one needle bearing—spindle bearing I think they call it, E0TZ-3123-a,

Because of Atlas, I decided, well, since I am here….I am going to order ball joints. That may also force me to deal with the camber adjuster, which may need be changed since I know my alignment is out—and by that I mean the camber. The tire look more than a little leaning top out, bottom farther in. tread wear show that too.

This is what I did with the Harley too—well since I am here I might as well do X. So, I am going to do the same thing.

The ball joint choice is giving me a bit of grief—there’s a lot of them, and some have a weight rec—I assume mine will be the 4600lbs variety. Part numbers are E0TZ 3049-b and 3050-c

What did you use Atlas?

Hot on it as of Yesterday. Took parts inventory. I discovered I need a few more seals, and one needle bearing—spindle bearing I think they call it, E0TZ-3123-a,

Because of Atlas, I decided, well, since I am here….I am going to order ball joints. That may also force me to deal with the camber adjuster, which may need be changed since I know my alignment is out—and by that I mean the camber. The tire look more than a little leaning top out, bottom farther in. tread wear show that too.

This is what I did with the Harley too—well since I am here I might as well do X. So, I am going to do the same thing.

The ball joint choice is giving me a bit of grief—there’s a lot of them, and some have a weight rec—I assume mine will be the 4600lbs variety. Part numbers are E0TZ 3049-b and 3050-c

What did you use Atlas?

I made a post tonight on the replacement of the drivers side axel shaft seal. Hopefully it helps you. It went pretty smoothly for me.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/1980-F350-4X4-C6-Project-tp88381p134559.html