Bullnose Forums

Diary of a Restore (Thread)

Oh! Good and bad news...

I would definitely try to get the number off your hub and match it up.

These prices are crazy! How many millions of these axles were produced?

The outrageous prices are likely driven from the rarity of this particular hub—you can find a bunch of DRW hubs in this year.

I have been looking for some info on Dana 60 Ford 80-86….and from what I read (which is scant) Ford changed the spindle size of the Dana in 84—so the only hubs that will work for my SRW fitment is 80-83, but I am not sure about that.

Today I take the wheel off again, and begin the process of fixing this somehow, even if it is the temporary punch, loctite 620 (primed with anaerobic cleaner as you suggested).

In other words, the prices are ridiculous but understandable given the rarity of what I am looking for. If I can see the casting number today, I may buy the hub from Ebay guy priced at Room $222 [if anyone catches that reference huge kudos].

Morning update: I am [insert expletive here]

Got the numbers off the hub. Used a mirror and paper and pencil for transfer—after writing the numbers backward, and looking in a mirror again, there’s no match to ebay guy.

Mine are, near as I can tell, 08320. His were/are: 14403 or 14408 Not even close. No other numbers are on the hub.

So Survey says? No match. Back to square 1. A punch and Loctite 620 are in my future I suspect because no way I am paying 500 + shipping for the one found. UGH. :nabble_smiley_argh:

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the numbers off the hub. Used a mirror and paper and pencil for transfer—after writing the numbers backward, and looking in a mirror again, there’s no match to ebay guy.

Mine are, near as I can tell, 08320. His were/are: 14403 or 14408 Not even close. No other numbers are on the hub.

So Survey says? No match. Back to square 1. A punch and Loctite 620 are in my future I suspect because no way I am paying 500 + shipping for the one found. UGH. :nabble_smiley_argh:

Welcome back, Kotter. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Good luck with the work. Hope it turns out well. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Oops! But I knew it was a series. Just got the wrong one. :nabble_smiley_blush:

OK sorry for all my posts—Feeling defeated and resigning myself to the temp fix, I looked over the MPC, which arrived only this week.

Thanks to Gary’s instructions on how to actually use one, I finally learned how to use one. This landed me after doing all the deciphering, in section 11.2 of the MPC. In that, the only way to cross ref the rear I have is to find the axle capacity.

So, the F250 and 350 did have the Dana 61-1, from 80-2/83.

The part list is 6. There I FINALLY got the original part number—they only sold it as a set/assembly—hub and drum—apparently, but they also sold just the drum under a different part #.

D8tz 1113-C was the original part listing. (that’s 78 yes?)

I started to search for that part # exactly in Ecosia, Duck, Google. 1 of those turned up an ebayer selling under that part #.

In that pic at his ebay page, I could tell btw, that the casting was indeed 14403. Since the location was clear in one of his pics, I went back to my truck and looked in the same spot—sure enough I missed it because it was on the bottom and full of gunk I thought I got cleaned. Casting number on my hub is 14403.

Came back and looked at the listing closer, he was selling it for $100 and it is NEW OLD STOCK. Hub only. Last one. I nabbed it. $18 to ship.

If anyone wants the number of the guy who has them for 222, let me know. He has SEVEN of them, but they are pulled, tanked, and repainted—condition is guaranteed tho. I could post his info and the part # (and his ebay page) Gary if it is ok with you in a post to help folks out.

OK sorry for all my posts—Feeling defeated and resigning myself to the temp fix, I looked over the MPC, which arrived only this week.

Thanks to Gary’s instructions on how to actually use one, I finally learned how to use one. This landed me after doing all the deciphering, in section 11.2 of the MPC. In that, the only way to cross ref the rear I have is to find the axle capacity.

So, the F250 and 350 did have the Dana 61-1, from 80-2/83.

The part list is 6. There I FINALLY got the original part number—they only sold it as a set/assembly—hub and drum—apparently, but they also sold just the drum under a different part #.

D8tz 1113-C was the original part listing. (that’s 78 yes?)

I started to search for that part # exactly in Ecosia, Duck, Google. 1 of those turned up an ebayer selling under that part #.

In that pic at his ebay page, I could tell btw, that the casting was indeed 14403. Since the location was clear in one of his pics, I went back to my truck and looked in the same spot—sure enough I missed it because it was on the bottom and full of gunk I thought I got cleaned. Casting number on my hub is 14403.

Came back and looked at the listing closer, he was selling it for $100 and it is NEW OLD STOCK. Hub only. Last one. I nabbed it. $18 to ship.

If anyone wants the number of the guy who has them for 222, let me know. He has SEVEN of them, but they are pulled, tanked, and repainted—condition is guaranteed tho. I could post his info and the part # (and his ebay page) Gary if it is ok with you in a post to help folks out.

That's great news! :nabble_anim_jump:

Yes, D8TZ-1113-C is a part designed for the 1978 model year.

So it must be the same part prior to 1980, but I can't say if the hub is the same on a SRW D60.

I only know that the -61 has thicker axle tubes.

You now have the book so perhaps you know?

That's great news! :nabble_anim_jump:

Yes, D8TZ-1113-C is a part designed for the 1978 model year.

So it must be the same part prior to 1980, but I can't say if the hub is the same on a SRW D60.

I only know that the -61 has thicker axle tubes.

You now have the book so perhaps you know?

I will look likely in the morn...stuck away from the book for the night. Mine is an SRW...do you mean DRW? Or do you mean the exact D60 not the D61?

Cheers!

Hub arrived today. I will have to paint, though I do not have the powder coat skills of Gary. :nabble_smiley_beam:IMG_2353.thumb.jpeg.7b145f1afb16cdebb767f59a31fc8b3f.jpegIMG_2352.thumb.jpeg.f7ba660a71a111bbc3d9cc30a3904761.jpeg

IMG_2354.thumb.jpeg.1de626b0e1682a2f671075803bb78bef.jpeg