Bullnose Forums

Diary of a Restore (Thread)

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I have a rebuilt box the previous owner put on, and it has slack. I want to try a BlueTop as I think that will fix it.

I cannot sing their praises enough right now. Steering does not wander at all--I believe the Borgeson also helped out with that, but both are supreme together.

I already have the Borgeson shaft, and literally everything else in the steering system is new. But not the steering box. Sounds like it is time for a Blue Top.

I already have the Borgeson shaft, and literally everything else in the steering system is new. But not the steering box. Sounds like it is time for a Blue Top.

Small Update:

I am waiting on rear park brake cables to arrive. Rear pass is sticking, and so, will be changing out at least that cable. I wiggled it the other day and heard the brake release. So, when that arrives, at least I will change out the cable—got new bearings/seals on hand, etc., just in case as well.

In the meantime, I picked up wheel arch/opening trim/molding a while back. I know some do not like them—they trap moisture and contribute to rust. I debated on putting them on, but I can tell from the holes, some trim at some point was on the truck. I suspect the OEM “bright" anodized aluminum.

I got mine from BG. They fit better on the rear than the front, which seems a bit long, but otherwise, fit well without modification.

I am not sure this will work, but, in order to combat the valid complaints of the trim contributing to rust, I lined the inside (not the part where the screws go through) with a closed cell, 1” wide 1/8 thick foam. I used a bit of this on the plenum during the partial tear down body work to seal up certain spots what had no foam left (disintegrated). Sticky on one side only, but does a great job of sealing. I will monitor to see IF that works.

I only had enough foam for the fronts. Rears go on next week when more foam arrives. Here is an example:

IMG_2309.thumb.jpeg.401dd59f917c625bafff447b11acc24e.jpeg

Small Update:

I am waiting on rear park brake cables to arrive. Rear pass is sticking, and so, will be changing out at least that cable. I wiggled it the other day and heard the brake release. So, when that arrives, at least I will change out the cable—got new bearings/seals on hand, etc., just in case as well.

In the meantime, I picked up wheel arch/opening trim/molding a while back. I know some do not like them—they trap moisture and contribute to rust. I debated on putting them on, but I can tell from the holes, some trim at some point was on the truck. I suspect the OEM “bright" anodized aluminum.

I got mine from BG. They fit better on the rear than the front, which seems a bit long, but otherwise, fit well without modification.

I am not sure this will work, but, in order to combat the valid complaints of the trim contributing to rust, I lined the inside (not the part where the screws go through) with a closed cell, 1” wide 1/8 thick foam. I used a bit of this on the plenum during the partial tear down body work to seal up certain spots what had no foam left (disintegrated). Sticky on one side only, but does a great job of sealing. I will monitor to see IF that works.

I only had enough foam for the fronts. Rears go on next week when more foam arrives. Here is an example:

Those look great! I really like them. Dad's truck had them and there wasn't any rust behind them. But I like your idea to keep moisture out. :nabble_smiley_good:

Those look great! I really like them. Dad's truck had them and there wasn't any rust behind them. But I like your idea to keep moisture out. :nabble_smiley_good:

Hi Gary,

Thanks! I like it too. It breaks up the single paint “monotony.” Good to hear about your experience with your wheel opening trim!

Were these included on Ford trucks with a single paint color? I remember reading something to that effect somewhere, but really do not know.

Hi Gary,

Thanks! I like it too. It breaks up the single paint “monotony.” Good to hear about your experience with your wheel opening trim!

Were these included on Ford trucks with a single paint color? I remember reading something to that effect somewhere, but really do not know.

I've not seen anything in the documentation that limited them to any paint scheme. They were on Dad's truck from the factory, and his was Maroon with a Cherry Red top.

Kind of a lull in the action today. Some minor sanding of the inside bed, and a little bit of seam sealer, some bondo glass on a few seams (it's stronger so I opted for that). More sanding. Removed my home-made lift from the bed to get it cleaned out for the shoot--still thinking by Friday.

Most of the day today was spent on the interior. Since the previous owners put in a JVC modern radio, which hardly worked, was not supported (it hung in the dash), and the speakers in the doors did not work either. So, I opted to go with a classic looking radio. This is what I got. It arrived yesterday.

Fitting the radio turned out to be a chore, for one, where the heck do you put the back support? I never liked finding such places because there is no easy solution to this, especially since the back of the dash is all Air related, and plastic. While searching for a spot, I noticed the floor air assembly was loose, and so unscrewed it, cleaned it up, and added insulation around the point it contacts the air assembly so It would direct more air to the feet and not leak.

Back to the radio--thankfully the original faceplate was there, but it was cut. So, I cut a piece and tried to fit it back to as close to original I could get.

Here is the two pieces welded.

My welder is acting up a bit as the trigger seems less responsive. So I missed a couple times. But, the welds took, and I ground it down a little before drilling the holes for the tuner, etc.

I will wrap the back support to this plate and screw/tap it directly so the radio can come out as one unit, at least that's the plan. I like ease in these situations since reaching behind anything in this area between the dash/plenum/firewall is difficult if not impossible. I have to rewire for the new radio plugs. Since I do not like to waste space, I got a stereo speaker for the center dash where the mono speaker used to be (it was long removed by previous owners, and they ripped up the dash I have in the process it seems). On the plus side, I have the original "wood" grain dash that was thrown in when I purchased the truck. That will go back on.

Wiper motor arrived today. That will go on tomorrow with the new parts for the arms. Nice to be putting things back ON.

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but do you have an item name or link for that radio. at this point you must have it working, do you like it?

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but do you have an item name or link for that radio. at this point you must have it working, do you like it?

Hey Jon—I sure do!

It is Classic Car Stereos—here is a link:

https://www.classiccarstereos.com/ford-radios.html

It works fabulous.

I would, however, redo the speaker selection I have. I know there’s a modification one can do to put 5x7 or 6x8 behind the seat grafted into a later model Ford truck molding that goes from the floor to the liner in each corner.

I might have done that instead of the door + stereo single speaker in the dash.

But than that about the speakers, the radios are great. Highy recommend. Come bluetooth capable, and with lots of options to hook in Sirius, or Ipod.

Hey Jon—I sure do!

It is Classic Car Stereos—here is a link:

https://www.classiccarstereos.com/ford-radios.html

It works fabulous.

I would, however, redo the speaker selection I have. I know there’s a modification one can do to put 5x7 or 6x8 behind the seat grafted into a later model Ford truck molding that goes from the floor to the liner in each corner.

I might have done that instead of the door + stereo single speaker in the dash.

But than that about the speakers, the radios are great. Highy recommend. Come bluetooth capable, and with lots of options to hook in Sirius, or Ipod.

I too went that way.

Sent my original radio, they modified it with the Aurora kit and sent me back.

Hands free, USB, Bluetooth.

Same vintage look and feel, but modern features.

I even could plug a sub-woofer (with a pre-amp), but did not installed one yet... These trucks are not very "quiet", so I'm not sure about the result, if it is worth it.

I too went that way.

Sent my original radio, they modified it with the Aurora kit and sent me back.

Hands free, USB, Bluetooth.

Same vintage look and feel, but modern features.

I even could plug a sub-woofer (with a pre-amp), but did not installed one yet... These trucks are not very "quiet", so I'm not sure about the result, if it is worth it.

I forgot about that but yes, Mine has that output for a sub too. Really fabulous radios that LOOK like they belong there in period.