Bullnose Forums

Diary of a Restore (Thread)

Oh, that's nice! :nabble_anim_jump:

How much do you need to cut the shaft down?

ASME says bolts under 6" should get threads 2x diameter plus 1/4" (so 1 1/8" of threads on a 7/16 diameter)

I don't recall how thick my frame was when I changed the steering box.

Fortunately the factory bolts were in good shape and I reused them.

I am not sure at this point how much I will need to cut. Blue Top not here yet. When I put it in, I will measure 3 times and cut! Will update.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have not done much. It has been too cold, and still waiting on the blue top to arrive.

However, it warmed up to 70 yesterday, and I got the step bars on.

its looking good. I noticed the one piece of lower body molding in place. we had an 82 delivered Monday for another build and that is the only trim piece our truck is missing. pretty sure I have one in storage though

its looking good. I noticed the one piece of lower body molding in place. we had an 82 delivered Monday for another build and that is the only trim piece our truck is missing. pretty sure I have one in storage though

I debated about putting it on. But I found a few of them at the local pick.

When I was doing the body work, The two holes were for that piece were bondoed over. I thought I would find evidence of either welded posts, or holes for the rest of the trim. I did not. I decided to keep it anyway even though it looks a little out of place.

The molding you see is I THINK post 82—I THINK they usually used the “bright” molding on the 80-81 but my memory fails me. Finding the bright molding is difficult. BUT, that molding you see you should be able to piece together if not from a pick, from Dennis C or LMC. I think between the two, you will find that piece.

Have not done much. It has been too cold, and still waiting on the blue top to arrive.

However, it warmed up to 70 yesterday, and I got the step bars on.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n129242/IMG_2244.jpeg

Nice truck!

First, thank you everyone for the comments and encouragement. Much appreciated!

OK, I started prepping the truck for the massive work I haver to do this week. I figured I would get as much out of the way as possible before the gear box gets here—which is Wednesday. I probably will not get to anything until Friday as I want to replace the water pump, power steering, Int shaft and gear box in one day.

I will let the water pump sit snug overnight (after applying the Right Stuff on both sides of gasket then torque and be done on Saturday). It will be in the 60s as the high, so even though the Right Stuff is supposed to cure in like 90 minutes, I am going to let it sit. Then pray no leaks.

Here is the old water pump—you can see clearly the leak tracks out the top weep hole. Bearing has play in it as well, and squeaks when I turn by hand.

Cheers!

IMG_2255.thumb.jpeg.53e0979e41abb6408b56ae135dbafaa6.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Update 2: Well, what a difference a few days makes. While I wait for the parts, I fired up the truck to see if I could see the point when the water leaks--it is when the thermo open and the truck is warm, and then the top weep hole begins to fill.

I also rechecked the underneath at the c2. There is a definite drip from the botton of the plastic housing, but I also noticed, there was a lot of fluid collecting around the Gear Box. The amount is more than the rate of the drip from the C2.

I suspect my gear box seal is shot????!!!!

It looks to be the original box, and never touched.

Because of Gary's suggestions in an older thread, I will be calling Blue Top tomorrow. I figure replace it all. Maybe the steering with be tighter too since the box on it now is no doubt original.

Thought I would update—sorry it has been so long. I had a bad headcold over the holiday (Christmas). Not fun. Then my boss came to the job with a horrendous respiratory infection, and infected us all—but hey she wore a mask. I will refrain from commentary other than that.

So, got the Blue top in, and the Borgeson. Had to cut a foot off the Borgeson, but the job was really easy.

The bolts I ordered would have worked if they had the same depth of threads—see pic. So, I added a THICK LARGE washer to each of the three bolts and that worked. I could have cut the threads, but I did not have my vice and tap/die handy.

I do not know if it works yet as I am dealing with the water pump/timing cover issue. But, I can say it feels tighter than it was not running.

Also, I had a devil of a time getting the pittman on, and so had to disconnect a lot of the linkage to get it all to fit again. One wheel (d side) seemed to creep in about an 1/8th of an inch, and so, had to maneuver it “outward” to get that linkage to line up. Anyone experience such a thing?

More on the itming cover in that thread.

IMG_2273.thumb.jpeg.cc95785d2de0449d0cde9ee6d2a3b8d9.jpegIMG_2276.thumb.jpeg.f717905643d7d1ffc4665e310cd2910b.jpegIMG_2267.thumb.jpeg.b36c1ba7bb03a392583442b632286cc3.jpeg

Thought I would update—sorry it has been so long. I had a bad headcold over the holiday (Christmas). Not fun. Then my boss came to the job with a horrendous respiratory infection, and infected us all—but hey she wore a mask. I will refrain from commentary other than that.

So, got the Blue top in, and the Borgeson. Had to cut a foot off the Borgeson, but the job was really easy.

The bolts I ordered would have worked if they had the same depth of threads—see pic. So, I added a THICK LARGE washer to each of the three bolts and that worked. I could have cut the threads, but I did not have my vice and tap/die handy.

I do not know if it works yet as I am dealing with the water pump/timing cover issue. But, I can say it feels tighter than it was not running.

Also, I had a devil of a time getting the pittman on, and so had to disconnect a lot of the linkage to get it all to fit again. One wheel (d side) seemed to creep in about an 1/8th of an inch, and so, had to maneuver it “outward” to get that linkage to line up. Anyone experience such a thing?

More on the itming cover in that thread.

Nice! That looks good in there!