Bullnose Forums

Diary of a Restore (Thread)

Yes, I'd say the seat is 87+. But it might be quite handy with the fold down arm rest. :nabble_smiley_good:

And I can't fault the welding as I'm probably not any better, although I do use shielding gas instead of flux.

Stay safe in the flooding. We are in a drought and will hit 110F in a few days. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Hi Gary,

The truck has been through a lot, it is clear. I will have more to write about that.

My question in the beginning was always the paint scheme—the original. As I sanded carefully the exterior, the red in the photoes was over all those bondo holes. The scheme was this, always, everywhere, top to bottom, front to back: Red>Primer>Sand 6D> primer> Metal.

What I found out from Marti has me reeling a bit. It says my original scheme was solid 2K.

That means I should see this: Red>primer>2K>primer>metal. I do not see that. I do NOT question the MARTI. I believe them because my cab is exactly as they stated it should be. However, I painted to Ford 6D based on my sanding of the levels—which I and my wife (which shocked me) loves. I am not changing it.

So, my question is, how did Ford paint from the factory in 1979 for 80s models? In other words, what did they DO, and what paint did they use?

I think I am the one missing something here.

By all intents and purposes I should find 3 levels here. I do not understand why I see a sand color (that is glossy) underneath the after market red that was on it.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gary,

The truck has been through a lot, it is clear. I will have more to write about that.

My question in the beginning was always the paint scheme—the original. As I sanded carefully the exterior, the red in the photoes was over all those bondo holes. The scheme was this, always, everywhere, top to bottom, front to back: Red>Primer>Sand 6D> primer> Metal.

What I found out from Marti has me reeling a bit. It says my original scheme was solid 2K.

That means I should see this: Red>primer>2K>primer>metal. I do not see that. I do NOT question the MARTI. I believe them because my cab is exactly as they stated it should be. However, I painted to Ford 6D based on my sanding of the levels—which I and my wife (which shocked me) loves. I am not changing it.

So, my question is, how did Ford paint from the factory in 1979 for 80s models? In other words, what did they DO, and what paint did they use?

I think I am the one missing something here.

By all intents and purposes I should find 3 levels here. I do not understand why I see a sand color (that is glossy) underneath the after market red that was on it.

I don't know. I don't have any info that I'm aware of that shows how they were painted. If I do I hope someone will point it out to me.

I don't know. I don't have any info that I'm aware of that shows how they were painted. If I do I hope someone will point it out to me.

There are some documentary films of the Bullnose assembly lines that were shared here on the forum.

I forget when and where, but perhaps a search for archival footage on YouTube might turn something up?

I don't really think Ford was using 2K back when these trucks were built.

I do remember seeing the bucked bodies getting a full dip in a vat of primer.

There are some documentary films of the Bullnose assembly lines that were shared here on the forum.

I forget when and where, but perhaps a search for archival footage on YouTube might turn something up?

I don't really think Ford was using 2K back when these trucks were built.

I do remember seeing the bucked bodies getting a full dip in a vat of primer.

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the response. I will look for the videos you mention.

2K is the paint code, so, that means my truck according to the Marti was painted 2K or Candy Apple Red (if you look at Gary’s uploaded paint chips for the year 2K = CA Red). I believe it, but, I just see no evidence for it on the truck. Which means, I am convinced it is me who is missing something. One thing is for sure, everywhere I look, I see what seems to be 6D under the after market red on it when bought, and it appears glossy.

I might try another section today with a finer grit sand paper to reveal the 2k levels. Here is a pic of the bed latch that revealed the 6D (below). The present red color was painted over the latches, and all that bondo. (see below for pic)

In the Cab, I find RED, and when I sanded the paint, it goes from Red to bare metal—no primer looking paint before the bare metal, which is also odd. But, the interior cab suggests that outside was not 6D as @Fuzzface2 noted to me some time ago. He was correct. What is odd to me is that I do not find primer in the cab, so my question of how they painted the trucks comes up as a curiosity.

OK, cheers. Hope all that made sense.

IMG_1980ggmh.thumb.jpg.3141848d053995cff739b5a7248c28b4.jpg

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the response. I will look for the videos you mention.

2K is the paint code, so, that means my truck according to the Marti was painted 2K or Candy Apple Red (if you look at Gary’s uploaded paint chips for the year 2K = CA Red). I believe it, but, I just see no evidence for it on the truck. Which means, I am convinced it is me who is missing something. One thing is for sure, everywhere I look, I see what seems to be 6D under the after market red on it when bought, and it appears glossy.

I might try another section today with a finer grit sand paper to reveal the 2k levels. Here is a pic of the bed latch that revealed the 6D (below). The present red color was painted over the latches, and all that bondo. (see below for pic)

In the Cab, I find RED, and when I sanded the paint, it goes from Red to bare metal—no primer looking paint before the bare metal, which is also odd. But, the interior cab suggests that outside was not 6D as @Fuzzface2 noted to me some time ago. He was correct. What is odd to me is that I do not find primer in the cab, so my question of how they painted the trucks comes up as a curiosity.

OK, cheers. Hope all that made sense.

:nabble_smiley_blush:. Oh that's embarrassing.

My color code is 2E (light canyon red) so I should have considered that 2K was a candy color....

It's interesting that you found tan under the latches if the truck was not two tone from the factory.

Have you looked for a buck tag on the firewall or the front of the bed, facing the cab?

:nabble_smiley_blush:. Oh that's embarrassing.

My color code is 2E (light canyon red) so I should have considered that 2K was a candy color....

It's interesting that you found tan under the latches if the truck was not two tone from the factory.

Have you looked for a buck tag on the firewall or the front of the bed, facing the cab?

Hey Jim,

I looked for that tag today, and NADA. If I had one, I do not see it or it was removed. I checked the inside fenders too. Nothing.

Here is my post for today:

The Marti Report came in and as @FuzzFace2 and @Franklin2  suspected, my original color was red.  Marti Report snip is pic one.  

Pic #2 is my using a fine grit sandpaper.  Here I confirmed the Marti (I never doubted it).  What you see is this:  recent Red>primer>2K>primer>what looks to be 6D>primer>bare metal.  Needless to say, I love the 6D so much, I am keeping it, but that presents issues with the interior, which, I bet in stock trucks with 6D outer, was SADDLE.  So, lots of thinking to do.

Pic #3 is the bed work from today.  Nearly got one side done.  I decided to overlap the inner curved panel and not butt-weld it.  I wanted more strength, and I could get under the bed, and weld from the other side.  I am not sure this adds more strength, but it did give me wiggle room to maneuver the large piece.  It also wraps around the replaced floor panel, and I plug welded both pieces together.  But, to be honest, some of my plugs did not take very well.  So, more work on that tomorrow.

Bed comes up tomorrow so I can replace the gas hose, then if all goes well, the rest of the inner bed work, and then, heating up the new bed floor section with a whack on the carriage bolts to form the square.  Bed will be bolted with new bolts and not come off before the shoot.

Cheers!

Screen_Shot_2022-07-16_at_3.png.6b578bddb5b324a68ca1f6268bab169f.png

​​​​​

IMG_2001.jpg.aec3766b274770b9ba1bb76a43baa4da.jpg

IMG_2002.jpeg.a743ad47940853614d46258a5f2fbf52.jpeg

Hey Jim,

I looked for that tag today, and NADA. If I had one, I do not see it or it was removed. I checked the inside fenders too. Nothing.

Here is my post for today:

The Marti Report came in and as @FuzzFace2 and @Franklin2  suspected, my original color was red.  Marti Report snip is pic one.  

Pic #2 is my using a fine grit sandpaper.  Here I confirmed the Marti (I never doubted it).  What you see is this:  recent Red>primer>2K>primer>what looks to be 6D>primer>bare metal.  Needless to say, I love the 6D so much, I am keeping it, but that presents issues with the interior, which, I bet in stock trucks with 6D outer, was SADDLE.  So, lots of thinking to do.

Pic #3 is the bed work from today.  Nearly got one side done.  I decided to overlap the inner curved panel and not butt-weld it.  I wanted more strength, and I could get under the bed, and weld from the other side.  I am not sure this adds more strength, but it did give me wiggle room to maneuver the large piece.  It also wraps around the replaced floor panel, and I plug welded both pieces together.  But, to be honest, some of my plugs did not take very well.  So, more work on that tomorrow.

Bed comes up tomorrow so I can replace the gas hose, then if all goes well, the rest of the inner bed work, and then, heating up the new bed floor section with a whack on the carriage bolts to form the square.  Bed will be bolted with new bolts and not come off before the shoot.

Cheers!

​​​​​

Pic 2:

IMG_2001.thumb.jpg.cd1970982231dbd4050a08153d15f86b.jpg

Pic 3—I must be doing something wrong with the images!

I see the images just fine. But what do you think isn't working?

Anyway, you seem to have gotten to the bottom, literally, of the paint question. But you seem to be questioning what to do inside the cab. Why not use the same paint?

And when you are on FTE tell Franklin2 hello for me. :nabble_anim_handshake:

I see the images just fine. But what do you think isn't working?

Anyway, you seem to have gotten to the bottom, literally, of the paint question. But you seem to be questioning what to do inside the cab. Why not use the same paint?

And when you are on FTE tell Franklin2 hello for me. :nabble_anim_handshake:

I usually post all three images in a single post. When I post, I only see one of them. Are you seeing them all in one post? If so, I will delete.

Thanks Gary for the feedback.