Bullnose Forums

Diary of a Restore (Thread)

I congratulate you - both for getting it done in such difficult conditions as well as doing so w/o getting hurt. :nabble_anim_claps:

Man, that had to have been a pain! But well done - especially since I didn't think it could be done that way. :nabble_smiley_good:

So, what's left to do? When do you get to start it up?

BTW,

I forgot to mention—it looks like I deleted a piece on the oil pan story:

When I went to tighten it, I proceeded from the middle OUT. So the middle bolts both sides, then the next outer on each side, until I got to the corners.

I went by the torque recs from Light. BUT, I went up in steps—30in lbs, 60, 90, etc. I went slow just in case the gasket started to peak out the sides.

That seems to have worked….maybe I was being too cautious.

I will say in only a couple of place can I see just a hint of the gasket outside the pan. The rest of the pan, I cannot see it at all.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW,

I forgot to mention—it looks like I deleted a piece on the oil pan story:

When I went to tighten it, I proceeded from the middle OUT. So the middle bolts both sides, then the next outer on each side, until I got to the corners.

I went by the torque recs from Light. BUT, I went up in steps—30in lbs, 60, 90, etc. I went slow just in case the gasket started to peak out the sides.

That seems to have worked….maybe I was being too cautious.

I will say in only a couple of place can I see just a hint of the gasket outside the pan. The rest of the pan, I cannot see it at all.

I think your approach is a good one. Inside out and going up in steps is the right way to do it.

Good luck on the HVAC system. I hope you can find the parts and quickly fix it.

I think your approach is a good one. Inside out and going up in steps is the right way to do it.

Good luck on the HVAC system. I hope you can find the parts and quickly fix it.

Did some searches last night. You can find the YH part in only two or so places—unsure of stock amount. Called Green Sales, they have 2—well now 1—of 19B888B. Not cheap, but beggars cannot be choosers.

LMC used to sell this part. Does anyone know what happened that they do not now?

Did some searches last night. You can find the YH part in only two or so places—unsure of stock amount. Called Green Sales, they have 2—well now 1—of 19B888B. Not cheap, but beggars cannot be choosers.

LMC used to sell this part. Does anyone know what happened that they do not now?

Glad you found one.

As for LMC, I can only assume that their source ran out of them. But I really don't know.

Glad you found one.

As for LMC, I can only assume that their source ran out of them. But I really don't know.

Tore into the HVAC controls today. Easy to remove if you take the ashtray assembly out. Makes for easy access.

Here is the pic of what was left of my unit—no wonder I heard nothing but air suckage. The lever completey snapped. The spring was on top of the tray assembly.

The unit ID (not the part ID) is EOTH-19b919 (bb). E0TZ-19b888b arrives tomorrow from Green Sales. While I got it apart, I am going to go ahead and change the blower switch too—it is stiff. Found FoMoCo part cheaper than any knock off—go figure. It will be here this weekend.

I managed to find spare parts for all the plenum vacuum motors too inside and out, as well as the entire interior hoses and parts at the pick this weekend. Thank you to a 1982 F150 for the donation. So, just in case I have anything else that went bad, I am covered. See pics of my pieces, and then how it should look.

Last pic is something I found just looking around. This is a replica down to the connectors and the vacuum ports. It fits mid to late 1970s Ford cars. WHY would not this work also? Could it be a swap part? Anyone know?

IMG_2161.thumb.jpeg.b8e518c286f41768dc572aa65304150d.jpegIMG_2162.thumb.jpeg.ed7e68d72ecfa73208a1a3c054435db1.jpegs-l1600.thumb.jpg.1c115756151a05035a426a1e9741be01.jpgScreen_Shot_2022-10-12_at_1.thumb.png.c42c499b359916813bbe7844ed060735.png

Tore into the HVAC controls today. Easy to remove if you take the ashtray assembly out. Makes for easy access.

Here is the pic of what was left of my unit—no wonder I heard nothing but air suckage. The lever completey snapped. The spring was on top of the tray assembly.

The unit ID (not the part ID) is EOTH-19b919 (bb). E0TZ-19b888b arrives tomorrow from Green Sales. While I got it apart, I am going to go ahead and change the blower switch too—it is stiff. Found FoMoCo part cheaper than any knock off—go figure. It will be here this weekend.

I managed to find spare parts for all the plenum vacuum motors too inside and out, as well as the entire interior hoses and parts at the pick this weekend. Thank you to a 1982 F150 for the donation. So, just in case I have anything else that went bad, I am covered. See pics of my pieces, and then how it should look.

Last pic is something I found just looking around. This is a replica down to the connectors and the vacuum ports. It fits mid to late 1970s Ford cars. WHY would not this work also? Could it be a swap part? Anyone know?

Yes, that would certainly explain the vacuum leak. And I'm glad you were able to find a new replacement, as well as all the parts from the salvage.

As for the D8 part, there is something different in it from the E0 part or Ford wouldn't have given it a new part number. I'll admit it looks like it'll fit, but that doesn't mean it'll work. Some place there is a table that shows the vacuum routing in each position of the lever for the Bullnose trucks. That's determined by the ridges on the black piece in your pic, and it is possible that it is different for the D8 part than the E0 part.

Yes, that would certainly explain the vacuum leak. And I'm glad you were able to find a new replacement, as well as all the parts from the salvage.

As for the D8 part, there is something different in it from the E0 part or Ford wouldn't have given it a new part number. I'll admit it looks like it'll fit, but that doesn't mean it'll work. Some place there is a table that shows the vacuum routing in each position of the lever for the Bullnose trucks. That's determined by the ridges on the black piece in your pic, and it is possible that it is different for the D8 part than the E0 part.

OK, so, it would probably work, but the position on the control would not match up I assume? For example, it might say A/C on the control but you would actually be blowing heat vent?

Do you know where those schematics are for each? I could compare and report back. The reason I am interested in this is because the 19B888B is soon not to be found--this is readily available--I found it at Dennis Carpenter for $70. Sure would be nice if it COULD be an option for folks when our part is no longer to be found.

Any way, direct me in the right direction and I will sleuth for ya'll.

OK, so, it would probably work, but the position on the control would not match up I assume? For example, it might say A/C on the control but you would actually be blowing heat vent?

Do you know where those schematics are for each? I could compare and report back. The reason I am interested in this is because the 19B888B is soon not to be found--this is readily available--I found it at Dennis Carpenter for $70. Sure would be nice if it COULD be an option for folks when our part is no longer to be found.

Any way, direct me in the right direction and I will sleuth for ya'll.

This is from the '85 EVTM and does show the flow. But IIRC there's a table somewhere that shows each position on the lever and which ports get vacuum, and I've not found that yet. I'll keep looking... :nabble_anim_working:

1985-etm-page145.thumb.jpg.a0c09ff4316642cd2e794c1d8f5987c1.jpg

Here's the table I was looking for, and it was discussed in this post:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n125902/E019DF4B-2DBB-4F62-9D25-5D6288D06D1D.jpeg

Wow, this is excellent Gary. Now I do remember seeing this post of your some time ago.

So, now I need to find the diagram for the 1975-79 Ford Cars for this....however, the bay auction states that this works for 75-79 LTDs, Marquis, T-birds, cougar, etc.

My question is IF this can be fab'd to work.