Bullnose Forums

Diary of a Restore (Thread)

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, ok. I'm not sure exactly what this is, but have you looked at this from Tabco?

Here is something I have never seen from LMC--an inner bed SKIN, the complete panel it looks:

https://www.lmctruck.com/1980-96-ford/bed-tailgate/fd-1980-86-styleside-bed-panels

When I follow your links I get a popup asking for the year, model, make, etc of my truck - before it shows me anything. I am not using the LMC catalog until they fix that, and I've explained that to LMC's Mr Ford, Keith Dickson.

So can you take a screen shot and post it so I can see what you are talking about.

When I follow your links I get a popup asking for the year, model, make, etc of my truck - before it shows me anything. I am not using the LMC catalog until they fix that, and I've explained that to LMC's Mr Ford, Keith Dickson.

So can you take a screen shot and post it so I can see what you are talking about.

Here ya go Gary....and yes, that is annoying. Sometimes I want to browse for things and not have to put in a make and model. Like, they have wheel tubs for Chevys....not Ford for our year. Had to mess with their site to even find that out.

Anyway, PICS!

Screen_Shot_2022-09-07_at_5.png.ff544150cc217e8ff0cdf3f981abef34.pngother.png.307cb093d21fdc557af18dbcde7c4061.png

Here ya go Gary....and yes, that is annoying. Sometimes I want to browse for things and not have to put in a make and model. Like, they have wheel tubs for Chevys....not Ford for our year. Had to mess with their site to even find that out.

Anyway, PICS!

Yes, it is annoying - so much so I'll go elsewhere.

I think you are right that my link to Tabco is for the part that goes below the wheel tub, meaning the one you cannot see - at least not easily.

But I don't think the other piece is an inside panel. I think your snag shows the full bedside and then a partial beside.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while again. Thought I would update.

After an unexpected trip to Chicago, things are back on track.

I have been seriously contemplating the replacement of the rest of the freeze plugs on the block and, since that would require the jacking of the engine and the removal of the brackets, the replacement of the oil pan gasket. It is a project to be sure—loosening the clutch linkage, the tranny mount bolts, and I am sure other things.

So, I spent a week trying to find a gasket—I wanted something other than cork—and I finally found a Milodon that works—they have it listed for a 351-C (Cleveland). After doing a little sleuthing on my engine, I now understand why. What do people use for RTV (if any) on the replace the oil pan gasket?

I also spent over a week trying to find my favorite freeze plugs from Sealed Power. They have a nice “deep” 1 ½ cup (.375—which I would call mid-deep not deep), but it looks like they are out of business? It took me TIME to find a replacement of the same specifications—I did through Mellin. Finding the exact part number was a bit of a pain since they like to sell in kits mostly. Those arrived early this week.

Finally, I spent a couple of days at the local pick—I found an 87 Ford with a tail pipe still intact—it is amazing that one of the first things taken at a pick is the tail pipes—hard to find. It worked ok, and was about a ¼" smaller than I wanted, but, it really quieted down the cab installing it as previously, the exhaust ended just beyond the cab after the glass pack.

Now for the real work: I noticed periodically a small knock and located it near the power steering. I also noticed that whoever had the truck cut the oil cooler line what winds under the engine, etc. and replaced a good portion with hose. You have GOT to be kidding me! Why?! (pics below). It also seemed to leak. The hoses were hard. A bolt was also loose on the pump bracket behind the pulley, and the pulley looked warped a little. SO, Back to the pick for a cooler line and pulley—I found them both on an 86 Bronco. Ordered a new pump just to make it all a new system. Adding a filter.

So, now the return line is mostly metal tube, except for the hose with filter that clamps to the pump. Pump goes on tomorrow.

Old pump was a bear to pull the pully. It looks like the old pump has a broken bolt inside the shaft from the install of the pulley, and likely hence why it was warped. Oy. Glad I opted to change out the entire pump.

Lastly, our pooch decided to “help” change the PS line today.

I am a little worried about the pulley off the Bronco—the one I pulled was off my truck concave more on the pump side (that is offset and deeper)—the bronco pulley is definitely not. I cannot use the old one for reasons stated. So, I hope the one I have off the 86 Bronco lines up. It is in great shape.

IMG_2140.thumb.jpeg.1d004d2cf73a42c393fb36bf02494722.jpegIMG_2139.thumb.jpeg.c53f7f80c3bb808023eea9e933806333.jpegIMG_2141.thumb.jpeg.1c1427fe7bf351dcfa4d73119075d17e.jpegIMG_2142.thumb.jpeg.1ccaa2b3bf25cdb4c9b520a000e42c93.jpegIMG_2136.thumb.jpeg.b7788d3955893069783b7a48b97c0804.jpeg

Been a while again. Thought I would update.

After an unexpected trip to Chicago, things are back on track.

I have been seriously contemplating the replacement of the rest of the freeze plugs on the block and, since that would require the jacking of the engine and the removal of the brackets, the replacement of the oil pan gasket. It is a project to be sure—loosening the clutch linkage, the tranny mount bolts, and I am sure other things.

So, I spent a week trying to find a gasket—I wanted something other than cork—and I finally found a Milodon that works—they have it listed for a 351-C (Cleveland). After doing a little sleuthing on my engine, I now understand why. What do people use for RTV (if any) on the replace the oil pan gasket?

I also spent over a week trying to find my favorite freeze plugs from Sealed Power. They have a nice “deep” 1 ½ cup (.375—which I would call mid-deep not deep), but it looks like they are out of business? It took me TIME to find a replacement of the same specifications—I did through Mellin. Finding the exact part number was a bit of a pain since they like to sell in kits mostly. Those arrived early this week.

Finally, I spent a couple of days at the local pick—I found an 87 Ford with a tail pipe still intact—it is amazing that one of the first things taken at a pick is the tail pipes—hard to find. It worked ok, and was about a ¼" smaller than I wanted, but, it really quieted down the cab installing it as previously, the exhaust ended just beyond the cab after the glass pack.

Now for the real work: I noticed periodically a small knock and located it near the power steering. I also noticed that whoever had the truck cut the oil cooler line what winds under the engine, etc. and replaced a good portion with hose. You have GOT to be kidding me! Why?! (pics below). It also seemed to leak. The hoses were hard. A bolt was also loose on the pump bracket behind the pulley, and the pulley looked warped a little. SO, Back to the pick for a cooler line and pulley—I found them both on an 86 Bronco. Ordered a new pump just to make it all a new system. Adding a filter.

So, now the return line is mostly metal tube, except for the hose with filter that clamps to the pump. Pump goes on tomorrow.

Old pump was a bear to pull the pully. It looks like the old pump has a broken bolt inside the shaft from the install of the pulley, and likely hence why it was warped. Oy. Glad I opted to change out the entire pump.

Lastly, our pooch decided to “help” change the PS line today.

I am a little worried about the pulley off the Bronco—the one I pulled was off my truck concave more on the pump side (that is offset and deeper)—the bronco pulley is definitely not. I cannot use the old one for reasons stated. So, I hope the one I have off the 86 Bronco lines up. It is in great shape.

Looks like you are making good progress. :nabble_anim_claps:

On the pan gasket, RTV makes things slick, so I wouldn’t torque the pan down until the next day if I used it. Snug it up finger tight to squeeze out the excess, then let it set up before tightening. But I don’t know that I’m picky about brands.

As for the pulley, you are using a proper puller that clamps onto the knob and presses against the shaft, right? Anything else will warp the pulley. But the one off the Bronco should line up.

On the pan gasket, RTV makes things slick, so I wouldn’t torque the pan down until the next day if I used it. Snug it up finger tight to squeeze out the excess, then let it set up before tightening. But I don’t know that I’m picky about brands.

As for the pulley, you are using a proper puller that clamps onto the knob and presses against the shaft, right? Anything else will warp the pulley. But the one off the Bronco should line up.

Oh yes, I have the proper puller that clamps onto the knob. Same tool is used for pressing the pulley back.

What brand do you use? (not sure I understand that sentence right—you have a specific brand of RTV you use?)

Thanks Gary! Cheers!

Oh yes, I have the proper puller that clamps onto the knob. Same tool is used for pressing the pulley back.

What brand do you use? (not sure I understand that sentence right—you have a specific brand of RTV you use?)

Thanks Gary! Cheers!

Thanks Gary! Cheers!

I use whatever brand I have available.