Bullnose Forums

Diary of a Restore (Thread)

After sand, sand, sand the dash....tackled the dash cluster. Cleaned up the plastic cover using Novus--man that stuff is great.

What is on it is dust--rather windy today.

But pic shows...I have a TAC now!

It looks like the Ammeter is not working--did not budge, and I have no working spare. The original snapped as I was going to swap it out--snapped right at the end so I could not hold the post. GRRRRR. :nabble_smiley_sad:

But so far everything else works. May try find a meter. OH, the right turn did not work..had to spread the connect points on the bulb socket.

I would say that the Printed circuit from JBG works great! Have not tested the HiPo effect yet. But the HiPo needle paint is fabulous! Pic!

Have you considered having your ammeter converted to an F10080V voltmeter by Rocketman Innovations?

Bob only uses the needle, dial and case.

He offers stud replacement at $5 with one of his conversions.

Conversion is $50

https://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-volt-all

After sand, sand, sand the dash....tackled the dash cluster. Cleaned up the plastic cover using Novus--man that stuff is great.

What is on it is dust--rather windy today.

But pic shows...I have a TAC now!

It looks like the Ammeter is not working--did not budge, and I have no working spare. The original snapped as I was going to swap it out--snapped right at the end so I could not hold the post. GRRRRR. :nabble_smiley_sad:

But so far everything else works. May try find a meter. OH, the right turn did not work..had to spread the connect points on the bulb socket.

I would say that the Printed circuit from JBG works great! Have not tested the HiPo effect yet. But the HiPo needle paint is fabulous! Pic!

Looking great! Very well done. :nabble_anim_claps:

As for the Bondo, glad you found something that will flex. :nabble_smiley_good:

Have you considered having your ammeter converted to an F10080V voltmeter by Rocketman Innovations?

Conversion is $50

Hey Jim,

Does the gauge go right back in to the same spot in the dash without modification/Wire modification/etc.?

This looks highly doable for me, and I am inclined. Thank you! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Looking great! Very well done. :nabble_anim_claps:

As for the Bondo, glad you found something that will flex. :nabble_smiley_good:

Reply to Gary and those interested: I highly recommend the polyvance system for dash crack repair. I modified it using bondo glass for the underlay (not plastic weld), but, the polyvance bondo is fabulous to work with in this situation.

Below the finished product—gotta clean up the grille holes a little, but it literally looks like new. And I also am mastering the SEM texture application. GREAT STUFF.

Last pic—all the D side dash tabs on the interior dash above the gauge cluster were broken. I used wire mesh and only plastic welding material (no resin) for this. Will need to drill holes when the time comes.

IMG_2652.thumb.jpeg.bb59efae66915f29e7461558cb143935.jpegIMG_2653.thumb.jpeg.8e6dfa8e5ab0195f5c632420664bca22.jpeg

Conversion is $50

Hey Jim,

Does the gauge go right back in to the same spot in the dash without modification/Wire modification/etc.?

This looks highly doable for me, and I am inclined. Thank you! :nabble_anim_handshake:

It's your exact same old gauge with a new movement.

It fits like new, but you do need to move some wires around from the ammeter shunt under the hood.

Gary has done this and there a number of threads. Also I believe there is an article under 'Bullnose Upgrades ' in the drop-down menu at the top left of the page.

I haven't done it because I have a Bricknose (which came with a voltmeter) but the conversion doesn't seem difficult, in fact it doesn't need to be as involved as Gary makes it out to be. You really just need a source of 'key on' power.

Reply to Gary and those interested: I highly recommend the polyvance system for dash crack repair. I modified it using bondo glass for the underlay (not plastic weld), but, the polyvance bondo is fabulous to work with in this situation.

Below the finished product—gotta clean up the grille holes a little, but it literally looks like new. And I also am mastering the SEM texture application. GREAT STUFF.

Last pic—all the D side dash tabs on the interior dash above the gauge cluster were broken. I used wire mesh and only plastic welding material (no resin) for this. Will need to drill holes when the time comes.

Very nice! That looks good!

It fits like new, but you do need to move some wires around from the ammeter shunt under the hood.

Gary has done this and there a number of threads. Also I believe there is an article under 'Bullnose Upgrades ' in the drop-down menu at the top left of the page.

I haven't done it because I have a Bricknose (which came with a voltmeter) but the conversion doesn't seem difficult, in fact it doesn't need to be as involved as Gary makes it out to be. You really just need a source of 'key on' power.

Hey Jim,

I went to his site, and also saw your posts on FTE...The suggestion is to cut the printed circuit around the ammeter! :nabble_smiley_oh: My ignorant question--why not de-pin the two wires at the cluster connector? I am asking and not knowing if that would be possible. Looking at EVTM now as I type....not finding it.

Hey Jim,

I went to his site, and also saw your posts on FTE...The suggestion is to cut the printed circuit around the ammeter! :nabble_smiley_oh: My ignorant question--why not de-pin the two wires at the cluster connector? I am asking and not knowing if that would be possible. Looking at EVTM now as I type....not finding it.

Not sure which "his site" you mean, but go to Documentation/Electrical/3G Conversion and then go to the Ammeter & Voltmeter tab. There you'll find a modified page from the EVTM.

And I would not cut the traces as you cannot easily put that back. And while you could de-pin the connector then you have to run new wires. I prefer to use the wires that are already there and just add the relay.

But Jim is right, you could use some source of key-on power. However, that will get you the voltage after whatever devices that circuit powers, which will change from time to time depending on what you pick. The relay approach gets you true battery voltage.

Having said that, the voltmeter's scale has no numbers, so in reality it doesn't make much difference. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Not sure which "his site" you mean, but go to Documentation/Electrical/3G Conversion and then go to the Ammeter & Voltmeter tab. There you'll find a modified page from the EVTM.

And I would not cut the traces as you cannot easily put that back. And while you could de-pin the connector then you have to run new wires. I prefer to use the wires that are already there and just add the relay.

But Jim is right, you could use some source of key-on power. However, that will get you the voltage after whatever devices that circuit powers, which will change from time to time depending on what you pick. The relay approach gets you true battery voltage.

Having said that, the voltmeter's scale has no numbers, so in reality it doesn't make much difference. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

My Bad Gary--I meant Rocketman's site and his instructions.

And AH! I was looking for the instructions on your site, and never thought to look at 3G! But I see no Ammeter/volt tab.

Update: Found. I simply clicked on the 3G conversion and not the breakout links from it. DOH!