Bullnose Forums

Diary of a Restore (Thread)

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good find! That does look like the right one. :nabble_smiley_good:

Well what a way to start a Saturday. 😡

I made offer. Late last night after I was in bed, he accepted offer. BUT he did not send the offer through ebay to me directly…he simply changed the price on the bid/ad so everyone could see. SOMEONE ELSE bought it! Needless to say….I was not happy. Apparently, he told me after I wrote him expressing my displeasure, it went to Canada.

So, I found a cluster from an 86 for 200—speedo has trip meter. Wiring plug comes with too. So maybe I have some extra backup for the future? Not sure if the speedo with Trip fits, though, but I am not going to change that out. Yet I sure might consider it if it works. But, the unit as a whole is really in excellent condition.

Pics follow: What is that white hose looking thing coming from the bottom of it? Is that for the oil? I am just curious, but that I am not going to install the entire unit—I just want the tach.

OH, and JBG has printed circuits for 1980 with gauges and tach for 65—I post pic last. They look a lot different from LMC:

s-l1600-1.thumb.jpg.835657f15b0be75f64c39396450b3d32.jpgs-l1600-2.thumb.jpg.174aa0e1e95b6356c563d10a9f8bb6f9.jpg37121b.jpg.430ec117ede169df4b82a2ce97a009d7.jpg

Well what a way to start a Saturday. 😡

I made offer. Late last night after I was in bed, he accepted offer. BUT he did not send the offer through ebay to me directly…he simply changed the price on the bid/ad so everyone could see. SOMEONE ELSE bought it! Needless to say….I was not happy. Apparently, he told me after I wrote him expressing my displeasure, it went to Canada.

So, I found a cluster from an 86 for 200—speedo has trip meter. Wiring plug comes with too. So maybe I have some extra backup for the future? Not sure if the speedo with Trip fits, though, but I am not going to change that out. Yet I sure might consider it if it works. But, the unit as a whole is really in excellent condition.

Pics follow: What is that white hose looking thing coming from the bottom of it? Is that for the oil? I am just curious, but that I am not going to install the entire unit—I just want the tach.

OH, and JBG has printed circuits for 1980 with gauges and tach for 65—I post pic last. They look a lot different from LMC:

That hose looking thing might be what is left of the automatic transmission selector cable and sheath, after it's been cut.

That new printed circuit for the 1980 will keep you from having to re-pin your cluster connector. :nabble_smiley_good:

Everything else should work with your truck. Just be extra careful taking the gauges out to replace the printed circuit, as the posts can come apart from the gauges internal wiring making them fail to work.

I've repaired such gauges with soldering the internal wire back to the post, but it's a pain. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

That hose looking thing might be what is left of the automatic transmission selector cable and sheath, after it's been cut.

That new printed circuit for the 1980 will keep you from having to re-pin your cluster connector. :nabble_smiley_good:

Everything else should work with your truck. Just be extra careful taking the gauges out to replace the printed circuit, as the posts can come apart from the gauges internal wiring making them fail to work.

I've repaired such gauges with soldering the internal wire back to the post, but it's a pain. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

I agree with all Ralph said. :nabble_smiley_good:

On removing gauges, what typically happens is when you turn the nut holding the gauge's stud to the circuit board the nut & stud turn instead of the nut only turning. So I now very careful and would considering using something to prevent the stud from turning. Perhaps soft-jawed pliers?

I agree with all Ralph said. :nabble_smiley_good:

On removing gauges, what typically happens is when you turn the nut holding the gauge's stud to the circuit board the nut & stud turn instead of the nut only turning. So I now very careful and would considering using something to prevent the stud from turning. Perhaps soft-jawed pliers?

Thank you Ralph and Gary. Doh, I should have guessed it was going to the selector!

Ordered the Printed Circuit from JBG as well—cheaper to ship than LMC.

Only two things left to order—The upholstery and a bucket of Lokweld https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N8RRKEY/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1BUZ9XWFQIYGB&psc=1

Dunno if you all know about this stuff, BUT, it works on foam, headliner, and even seat foam repair jobs. Lots of professionals use it, and it is rather CHEAP. It beats out ALL spray adhesives, which get kicked by the heat in the vehicle and fail. This does not fail.

It can be sprayed or brushed on.

Here is a little bit on that from a guy who uses it—I clipped to the relevant spot to save you time:

Thank you Ralph and Gary. Doh, I should have guessed it was going to the selector!

Ordered the Printed Circuit from JBG as well—cheaper to ship than LMC.

Only two things left to order—The upholstery and a bucket of Lokweld https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N8RRKEY/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1BUZ9XWFQIYGB&psc=1

Dunno if you all know about this stuff, BUT, it works on foam, headliner, and even seat foam repair jobs. Lots of professionals use it, and it is rather CHEAP. It beats out ALL spray adhesives, which get kicked by the heat in the vehicle and fail. This does not fail.

It can be sprayed or brushed on.

Here is a little bit on that from a guy who uses it—I clipped to the relevant spot to save you time:

I hadn't heard of Lockweld, but it looks like it really works. :nabble_smiley_good:

Apparently, he told me after I wrote him expressing my displeasure, it went to Canada.

Erik, it's not me, I swear!

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Jeff, now I am suspicious! 😉

There is another contact adhesive that the pros use, and it is way more expensive, and it seems you cannot get it by the quart like with Lokweld, here it is. A gallon will run you over $80 and up. It is also excellent, and you will not have to worry about separation.

71QpTudEfL.thumb.jpg.73541d77f727687b4ce6f055fda6054e.jpg

Jeff, now I am suspicious! 😉

Curiously, couple of days ago, I too spotted it on eBay, but it was saying "no international shipping, Continental US only". I'm surprised that the seller says he shipped it to Canada.

:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Oh yes, he did…I have the receipt in an email. But, I do not blame the purchaser, the seller should have know how to complete a transaction like this.

Needless to say, for about 120 more, I got the complete set mounted. I am not happy about the lost opportunity, but I am pleased I found something fairly reasonably….those whole sets are going for way more usually—300+ counting shipping!