Bullnose Forums

Diary of a Restore (Thread)

Got the stub shaft all done today—speedi sleeve, and new bearing set. I am rather concerned how to get this BACK into the pumpkin. The bearing is a near press on into the housing. Will tackle that process tomorrow though.

New Spicer u joint installed as well.

IMG_2497.thumb.jpeg.5d8dab05c3abd3a8544c72bc04d10418.jpeg

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the stub shaft all done today—speedi sleeve, and new bearing set. I am rather concerned how to get this BACK into the pumpkin. The bearing is a near press on into the housing. Will tackle that process tomorrow though.

Looks good. But won't the bolts on the flange press it back in? They did on Dad's truck.

Looks nice job.

Erik, hoping this is not your living room carpet!

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Waiting on the spindle sleeve to arrive. Got the new front hub and spindle as back ups in the mail this week. I will be holding onto them!

Well Gary, you were right! I set the stub shaft in, and it would not go in easy. I lubed it up with grease on the outside of the bearing, and tried again. It went in with ease. The three bolts seating it the rest of the way. Easy peasy. Thanks! :nabble_anim_handshake:IMG_2501.thumb.jpeg.a416585c060bf65b4e4636b6610b354d.jpeg

IMG_2499.thumb.jpeg.39aae76b2c9435241a9972406c0d586c.jpeg

Waiting on the spindle sleeve to arrive. Got the new front hub and spindle as back ups in the mail this week. I will be holding onto them!

Well Gary, you were right! I set the stub shaft in, and it would not go in easy. I lubed it up with grease on the outside of the bearing, and tried again. It went in with ease. The three bolts seating it the rest of the way. Easy peasy. Thanks! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Looking good! Glad the bearing went in that easily. And I doubt you'll have a problem with the seals. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Looking good! Glad the bearing went in that easily. And I doubt you'll have a problem with the seals. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Thank you Gary, and everyone on here, for all the excellent help and advice. Truly it helped me a lot. I am in your debt.

After this is done, I am going to take a break. Pay off some bills, and then, It is time to tackle the interior—I need to reupholster the 87 bench seat someone put in. I thought about getting an original bench from the pick, and there were some in excellent condition there, but I am going to keep this seat for the center fold down—which I rather like. I like to keep things stock, but this seat bench (years i think 87-91 or is it 97) I grew to like.

So….does anyone have a reliable place to order an upholstery kit? What about if the foam is degraded?Stock Interiors is all I know of in terms of kits—though no foam they sell. I know places like LMC sell upholstery kits too, but I have no idea the quality, etc.

Also, as @fuzzface2 mentioned I should do (I agree!) some time ago, this summer or early fall, I am going to tackle the bed wheel wells and pull those dents (or cut and do some hammer work on a sand bag, then re-weld the original back into place) and reshoot the paint in that area.

Oh, also, I am getting rid of those 305 tires, and going down to something less.

Thank you Gary, and everyone on here, for all the excellent help and advice. Truly it helped me a lot. I am in your debt.

After this is done, I am going to take a break. Pay off some bills, and then, It is time to tackle the interior—I need to reupholster the 87 bench seat someone put in. I thought about getting an original bench from the pick, and there were some in excellent condition there, but I am going to keep this seat for the center fold down—which I rather like. I like to keep things stock, but this seat bench (years i think 87-91 or is it 97) I grew to like.

So….does anyone have a reliable place to order an upholstery kit? What about if the foam is degraded?Stock Interiors is all I know of in terms of kits—though no foam they sell. I know places like LMC sell upholstery kits too, but I have no idea the quality, etc.

Also, as @fuzzface2 mentioned I should do (I agree!) some time ago, this summer or early fall, I am going to tackle the bed wheel wells and pull those dents (or cut and do some hammer work on a sand bag, then re-weld the original back into place) and reshoot the paint in that area.

Oh, also, I am getting rid of those 305 tires, and going down to something less.

I'm glad things are working out. But I don't have a source for upholstery as I've never done it myself.

I'm glad things are working out. But I don't have a source for upholstery as I've never done it myself.

SMS Auto Fabrics can be a good source for finding the auto fabric you need.

They have the exact 1981 Explorer fabric to recreate my seat to like new factory condition.

Finding an upholsterer to put it together is another matter.