Bullnose Forum

1985 5.0 Spout connector question

Hi,

I'm the new owner of an 85 F150 XLT. 5.0 EFI, 96,000miles. Stock engine as far as I can tell.

It's idling a little rough so I pulled the codes and I'm getting a code 18 in continuous memory which translates to: "Loss of tachometer input/IDM circuit failure/Spout circuit grounded"

Upon reading up on this fault, the first thing to check was the condition of the wiring. Well it's bit of a mess. The insulation has rotted off the wiring on a few of the leads going to the TFI, SPOUT and coil.

I can get replacement pigtails for the TFI and coil but I can't find anything for a 1985 EFI SPOUT connector. I CAN however, find the newer style connector for the 1986+ engines. Will the newer connector work on an 85? From my reading, it looks like the SPOUT connector is used for nothing more than checking timing.

Thanks for the help!

-Shannon

You don't even need a connector. You could use a switch as you are right, all that does is take the computer's ability to change the timing away and put you on base timing. So if you want a later style connector go for it.

I used a spade terminal pair for mine:

IMG_20220601_205937.thumb.jpg.a598f4ad250cdc3c55bf5910ed118200.jpg

(old pic, I've swapped some unrelated parts since this was shot last month)

I previously had a bullet pair... but it was too hard to disconnect. Spades seem to be a happy medium. Different size crimps are used due to using a replacement TFI connector (which used 14-16 gauge wires for all connections).

I used a spade terminal pair for mine:

(old pic, I've swapped some unrelated parts since this was shot last month)

I previously had a bullet pair... but it was too hard to disconnect. Spades seem to be a happy medium. Different size crimps are used due to using a replacement TFI connector (which used 14-16 gauge wires for all connections).

Ratdude,

Glad you brought the TFI up. I need to replace mine. I've got a good TFI connect that I can use, but does anyone know where I can source the wiring terminals from? I've searched all over, but can only find the pigtails with the wrong color coding.

Thanks,

-Shannon

Ratdude,

Glad you brought the TFI up. I need to replace mine. I've got a good TFI connect that I can use, but does anyone know where I can source the wiring terminals from? I've searched all over, but can only find the pigtails with the wrong color coding.

Thanks,

-Shannon

The one I bought was one of these:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4673361&cc=1121432&pt=10623&jsn=4

(STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS HP4530)

The wires are all black (despite the description) but a good electrical diagram (or the old connector) will say what goes where. Other than the SPOUT I trimmed the new leads back a bit... which is why my SPOUT is a loop.

On a lot of Motorcraft pigtails the wires are all black too... the only time I remember getting an off-the-shelf pigtail that had colored wires was the coil plug:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=939309&cc=1121432&pt=2592&jsn=21

(WVE 1P1091)

Maybe WVE makes a TFI connector? I think I was choosing my connector brands based on common warehouses for other things (I was ordering a lot back then as part of an engine rebuild where I decided to fix my hacked up harness the right way).