Bullnose Forums

87 460 Carb'ed Towing Build

So, I spoke to Scotty yesterday.

I've got a top end kit on order and I'll be buying an engine kit from him after I get to my local shop for block machining.

Aluminum heads, cam, intake, timing chain.

This is a 425 hp towing combo, 9.1 compression... Should be good to go!

Time to keep chipping away.

Sounds strong! Good plan. :nabble_smiley_good:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds strong! Good plan. :nabble_smiley_good:

Decided to keep this thread and update it for my build on Papaw's dually.

So, I am bouncing around a bit between body work and mechanical stuff.

I need to pull the engine soon.

I've never pulled an engine, but have dropped a trans and transfer case.

Any tips for a first timer?

I am thinking of undoing all the bell housing bolts, then taking the front wheels off and lowering the front axle down on jack stands so the engine bay will be easier to access. The hood is coming off as well. I have a new junkyard hood to install.

Luckily I don't have too much body work to do. It won't be perfect, but it will be painted and stop rusting.

Decided to keep this thread and update it for my build on Papaw's dually.

So, I am bouncing around a bit between body work and mechanical stuff.

I need to pull the engine soon.

I've never pulled an engine, but have dropped a trans and transfer case.

Any tips for a first timer?

I am thinking of undoing all the bell housing bolts, then taking the front wheels off and lowering the front axle down on jack stands so the engine bay will be easier to access. The hood is coming off as well. I have a new junkyard hood to install.

Luckily I don't have too much body work to do. It won't be perfect, but it will be painted and stop rusting.

Pulling the hood is a good idea. And pulling the radiator and radiator support is a good idea as well.

But I'm not sure about lowering the truck. The reason is that the legs of the engine hoist have to go somewhere and sometimes the legs hit the axle if it is too low.

Pulling the hood is a good idea. And pulling the radiator and radiator support is a good idea as well.

But I'm not sure about lowering the truck. The reason is that the legs of the engine hoist have to go somewhere and sometimes the legs hit the axle if it is too low.

Ok, if you are pulling the radiator support what is going to hold the front of the fenders in place? Why not pull the front clip, take the cowl vent off so the hood will stand straight up, tie it there and then the engine only has to clear the crossmember to get it in. That is my plan when I do Darth's.

Ok, if you are pulling the radiator support what is going to hold the front of the fenders in place? Why not pull the front clip, take the cowl vent off so the hood will stand straight up, tie it there and then the engine only has to clear the crossmember to get it in. That is my plan when I do Darth's.

I will be replacing one fender with another. Might be easier to pull the front clip. Hadn't thought about that.

I'm sort of worried about having enough lift to get the engine out of the bay. It's pretty tall with the solid front axle. That's where the thought of dropping it down some. I'm borrowing a buddies engine hoist, I guess when it comes time I can see how much I have to work with.

Disassembly will continue this weekend. Might just take the clip off so I can hit everything with epoxy primer when the time comes.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I'm going to ask, when removing manual trans, there is nothing holding it to the engine other than bell housing bolts correct? You don't have to remove anything like torque converter bolts with a auto trans?

I will be replacing one fender with another. Might be easier to pull the front clip. Hadn't thought about that.

I'm sort of worried about having enough lift to get the engine out of the bay. It's pretty tall with the solid front axle. That's where the thought of dropping it down some. I'm borrowing a buddies engine hoist, I guess when it comes time I can see how much I have to work with.

Disassembly will continue this weekend. Might just take the clip off so I can hit everything with epoxy primer when the time comes.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I'm going to ask, when removing manual trans, there is nothing holding it to the engine other than bell housing bolts correct? You don't have to remove anything like torque converter bolts with a auto trans?

Correct, just the bolts and locating dowels at the bell to block interface.

But do remember that you have to get a straight pull for the input shaft to come cleanly out of the pilot bushing/bearing, and come out of the splines of the clutch disc.

So give thought to how far you have to move it forward.

Motor mounts and the rear sump pan riding up on the cross member are things to consider.

My preference is to pull the transmission free before trying to do anything with the engine.

But, then again, I've never pulled the front clip off when removing my engine.

Correct, just the bolts and locating dowels at the bell to block interface.

But do remember that you have to get a straight pull for the input shaft to come cleanly out of the pilot bushing/bearing, and come out of the splines of the clutch disc.

So give thought to how far you have to move it forward.

Motor mounts and the rear sump pan riding up on the cross member are things to consider.

My preference is to pull the transmission free before trying to do anything with the engine.

But, then again, I've never pulled the front clip off when removing my engine.

Thanks for the confirmation on the trans. I know the input shaft has to come out straight.

Parts started showing up today from the "Mad Porter".... Intake manifold, cam, roller rockers, timing gear set... The distributor has been here for a few days, It time to get this engine pulled out!

I'm drooling over the new part :nabble_smiley_beam:

Thanks for the confirmation on the trans. I know the input shaft has to come out straight.

Parts started showing up today from the "Mad Porter".... Intake manifold, cam, roller rockers, timing gear set... The distributor has been here for a few days, It time to get this engine pulled out!

I'm drooling over the new part :nabble_smiley_beam:

:nabble_anim_jump: Excited for you Jordan! (must be like Christmas)

I'm sure papaw's truck will be a healthy beast with all that Parkland goodness under the hood. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yep! It's gonna RUN!

Made some progress today.

After looking it over, decide it was best to remove the core support and bumper, then pull the engine.

Definitely makes a big difference.

Core support is rusted out on passenger side. I'll end up replacing it for piece of mind.

I've got everything loose, and will pull the engine tomorrow and get it on a stand.

So far so good. Everything has been moving along nicely.

Couple of questions, is there an oil pressure sensor on the back of the intake manifold? And another type of sensor?

Might pick y'all's brains on wiring upgrades including the alternator, it was definitely a fire starter, covered in oil. What a mess.

I believe there is an upgraded to the later style efi starter.

Here are some pictures to help tell the story.

PXL_20220806_140408693.jpg.c87a7faf0b9a1419bedaad419849f191.jpg

PXL_20220806_151843489.jpg.67dd0ea9eb59f82a0b08a2904e421158.jpg

PXL_20220806_163104220.jpg.26d9998e7a5eb4dcbcfa2197bcd75c16.jpg

PXL_20220806_171640089.jpg.c6e3aedae2a158c963282c3dc83a877a.jpg