Bullnose Forums

87 460 Carb'ed Towing Build

Are you running a mechanical fuel pump?

I have the hot fuel option with an electric pump on my rig, I assume because of the hot summers and AC.

Also, what is on the air cleaner on the driver's side that has a vacuum line hooked to it? I have the same air cleaner, but you guessed it, it's not hooked up.

I failed to address your alternator question.

We've recently had a thread about reorganizing the tutorial (available under documentation/Bullnose upgrades I believe)

Basically the implementation of the second generation alternator was prone to failure and fire.

A 130A alternator from an early '90's Taurus 3.8 fits with a few small modifications.

Until recently you could get one of these for about $70 delivered. The only other things you need are a alternator pigtail, 32" charge cable and a Megafuse holder.

Perhaps Gary can link it because I'm posting from Gmail and can't just open another window without losing this reply.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I failed to address your alternator question.

We've recently had a thread about reorganizing the tutorial (available under documentation/Bullnose upgrades I believe)

Basically the implementation of the second generation alternator was prone to failure and fire.

A 130A alternator from an early '90's Taurus 3.8 fits with a few small modifications.

Until recently you could get one of these for about $70 delivered. The only other things you need are a alternator pigtail, 32" charge cable and a Megafuse holder.

Perhaps Gary can link it because I'm posting from Gmail and can't just open another window without losing this reply.

Jim - I pointed him to the 3G page in my last post. Was there something else you wanted me to provide a link to?

Jim - I pointed him to the 3G page in my last post. Was there something else you wanted me to provide a link to?

Thanks Gary, I just did some reading on it.

Definitely sounds worth while.

Guess I better dig in on this project, but it will be great when it is done!

Sorry Gary, as usual I have a spotty cell connection and ended up here on the third page with my reply.

Seems to have worked out! :nabble_smiley_good:

I'll have to get up to the barn and see about another 8.25" 3G. I'm sure I have a couple, just need to check bearings, brushes and LRC regulators.

Sorry Gary, as usual I have a spotty cell connection and ended up here on the third page with my reply.

Seems to have worked out! :nabble_smiley_good:

I'll have to get up to the barn and see about another 8.25" 3G. I'm sure I have a couple, just need to check bearings, brushes and LRC regulators.

No prob, Jim. I think he's got some reading & :nabble_thinking-26_orig: to do. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Thanks Gary and Jim.

I'll definitely buy spare parts off of members if they're looking to move them.

Sounds like I've got some planning to do.

I'm glad to share if useful to someone. :nabble_smiley_cool:

In fact Gary got his 3G from my parts shelf...

But I'd want to make sure it is in great working order.

DB Electrical is in Kingsport, so probably not too far from you.

Thanks Gary and Jim.

I'll definitely buy spare parts off of members if they're looking to move them.

Sounds like I've got some planning to do.

I see you have a sig now Jordan.

I didn't know anything about a Zf-5 S 45???

I know the S-42 came out in '87 and was upgraded to the S5-47 (470 ft lbs) for the 1995 model year.

Was this something specific to C&C trucks? Because I've got no documentation on it.

I see you have a sig now Jordan.

I didn't know anything about a Zf-5 S 45???

I know the S-42 came out in '87 and was upgraded to the S5-47 (470 ft lbs) for the 1995 model year.

Was this something specific to C&C trucks? Because I've got no documentation on it.

Jim, I'm surprised it has a Sterling, all the information I have on C&C trucks points to the Dana 60 being in the back.

Jim, I'm surprised it has a Sterling, all the information I have on C&C trucks points to the Dana 60 being in the back.

Usually D70 in my experience.. :nabble_anim_confused:

But I don't know a huge lot about when Sterlings came with narrow spring perches for the C&C frame.

It would be interesting to see the door jamb tag with axle code, GVWR and such.

I knew you couldn't get a dually F-350 pickup with 4X4, only the C&C.